Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Great for WiFi, Terrible for wired. Drops Wired connection daily.

KraziJoe
Tutor

Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Great for WiFi, Terrible for wired. Drops Wired connection daily.

Model R7800, Firmware: 1.0.2.52, Wired and Wireless environment, connected to PC's  (windows and Macs), Fire TV, Fire Sticks, Xbox One(2), Apple TV, TV, Receiver, Printer, Blu-Ray

What I thought I was getting was a state of the art home networking routing, what I got

was instability in a wired environment.

It drops connections daily or more than one time a day, requiring a reboot to establish my wired connections again. 

I have tried multiple firmware upgrades, cable swaps, plugging and unplugging cables and even factory resets and I still have the same issue. 

What ever happened to the days of set it and forget it?

As I move to "cut the cord" of Cable/Sat tv, having my router die multiple times a day is very troublesome. 

I will say the wireless aspect has been very good so far with no noticeable issues 

I give it 2 more months of instability before I just toss it in the landfill and move to something better.

I would like to keep it because I am not independently wealthy and it’s already been a year of ownership, so returning is probably out of the question. And as far as I can tell, they seem to have moved on from the R7800 to the newer routers and seem to be more concerned about those than this “old” router but it seems even the newer ones have the same core issue, either bad parts or bad coding or both.

Is the R7800 even on your radar now or am I just relying on the Netgear community in hoping that someone makes a stable firmware?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
pec967
Luminary

Re: Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Great for WiFi, Terrible for wired. Drops Wired connection daily.

I have not had any Wi-Fi or Ethernet drops for 30 days on v. 1.0.2.52. I have had Wi-Fi drop outs on 5 GHz  in the past when I did not reset the router and then configure manually after a firmware update.  When you upgraded to v. 1.0.2.52, did you reset the router and then configure manually? If not, that is worth a try.

I have also seen some complaints in the forum of R7800 Ethernet problems with longer cable runs that should have been OK since they were less than 100 m. You might insert a Gigabit Ethernet switch between your Ethernet devices and the R7800 and see if that fixes your drop out problem. I have a 16-port Ethernet switch that connects all my Ethernet connections to the R7800.

Message 2 of 7
KraziJoe
Tutor

Re: Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Great for WiFi, Terrible for wired. Drops Wired connection daily.

I have reset the router numerous times. I also have switches the do the bulk of the work, only have one Xbox 1 and the Apple TV Plugged directlry into the box. The rest of the Ethernet devices are plugged into switches that go to the router.

My Previous router, TP-LINK was great with the wired access but the wireless was less than stellar. Seems I have swapped issues when I swapped routers...

Message 3 of 7
microchip8
Master

no issues here either on .52 firmware, wired & wireless work for 36 days uptime now

Routing: NETGEAR RAX43 - Firmware: V1.0.11.112 (1 Gbps down, 50 Mbps up)
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 4 of 7
pec967
Luminary

The only problem I have had with Ethernet connections is a strange bug affecting Bonjour multicast between the R7800 and the 16-port Netgear GS116E Ethernet switch. I did not have this problem with a previous router and the same Ethernet switch. A Windows 10 computer with iTunes kept dropping out from the Apple TV. The fix was to turn off "IGMP Snooping" in the GS116E.

Message 5 of 7
KraziJoe
Tutor

@Case850 Thanks. Plugged it into one of my switches, hopefully it will make a difference.

Message 6 of 7
KraziJoe
Tutor

I hate workarounds, I wish there was a fix for this...

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E