Nighthawk X4S R7800 Mouse lagging like crazy on PC when movie streaming on television.

Billcc80
Aspirant

Nighthawk X4S R7800 Mouse lagging like crazy on PC when movie streaming on television.

Hello,

We recently purchased the R7800 Nighthawk and now whenever my wife streams a movie or anything on the television my wireless mouse lags and jerks like crazy. I have changed channels and moved the router further away from the PC but nothing seems to help. I hooked up the router we replaced (a Linksys) and everything is fine. As soon as I switch back to the R7800 the PC becomes basically unuseable while streaming. The R7800 is way more router than the Linksys, so it wasn't a downgrade. If we can't fix this soon we will have to return it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Re: Nighthawk X4S R7800 Mouse lagging like crazy on PC when movie streaming on television.

@Billcc80 wrote:

We recently purchased the R7800 Nighthawk and now whenever my wife streams a movie or anything on the television my wireless mouse lags and jerks like crazy. 

Strange. How is the mouse connected to your wifi?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 13
IrvSp
Master

Re: Nighthawk X4S R7800 Mouse lagging like crazy on PC when movie streaming on television.

What Internet speed do you have?

As far as another router working fine and the NG not, that sort of points to a setting difference, especially if you say it is more router (whatever that means)?

Mouse? Surely you don't mean no matter what you are doing at the time, is it a specific program or all the time, and is the PC wireless too?

Is the TV and the PC on the same SSID?

Is Smart Connect being used?

Do you have QoS, Traffic Meter, or Parental Controls enabled?

What firmware is installed on the R7000 and had you updated it recently?

Message 3 of 13
myersw
Master

What is the distance from the USB module plugged into the PC to the mouse. In my case I had to use an USB extention cable to get the USB wireless module close enough to the mouse so that it worked without any issues. My setup was a desktop PC on floor and mouse on desktop. Once I brought the USB module closer to the mouse magic happened. No more issues. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 13
Billcc80
Aspirant

I apologize, I was extremely tired when typing the post and made it before bed. By more router, I meant more powerful. It doesn't matter what I am doing the mouse will lag. I can sit at the desktop, no programs open, just moving my mouse around and it jerks like crazy. When she stops streaming, everything is fine. What we have done to fix it currently is change to a wired Logitech gaming mouse I have. There seems to be some kind of interference or a setting I have wrong.

Message 5 of 13
Billcc80
Aspirant

The distance is about 3 feet. It would be worth a shot.

Message 6 of 13
myersw
Master

i would try to get the mouse and USB dongle closer together. Mine was less then 3 feet when I had issues, now none. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 7 of 13
W1lliam
Luminary

2.4GHz WiFi would have impact to Bluetooth operation, vice versa. You can try to configure your WiFi operation on 5GHz channel, if possible, to see if your mouse still has problem.

William

Message 8 of 13

@Billcc80 wrote:

The distance is about 3 feet. It would be worth a shot.

I have a Logitech wireless set up (K800, MX Ergo, T650) with the receiver sat next to an Orbi satellite and near to a R7800. My environment is awash with radio stuff, including cameras and, at the moment, two Arlo base stations

I see no signs of stuttering while streaming or doing anything else.

How is this streaming going on? From what to what?

Any chance that it is more a case of processing resources rather than wireless interference?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 9 of 13
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward, me too.... I have a Logitech keyboard/mouse wireless combo. The dongle is connected to my display and that then runs back down to the tower and connects RIGHT NEXT to the USB wireless NIC. This PC has 2 possible wireless wireless devices. A built-in 2.4Ghz and a USB dual-band device. BOTH of those cause no problems. BTW, right next to the display is a cordless Panasonic phone (also 2.4Ghz). Wife's PC is similar as well. She uses the Dual-band USB though.

It is really hard to fathom this one. There has to be some many people using wireless keyboards and mice that this would be a common problem? Other than interference between the mouse and router 2.4ghz radio I can't think of anything else? 2.4Ghz signals could be coming from many places too, not just the router?

Wondering if it is a mouse driver problem? I can't seem to think of any connection between the mouse and the router streaming to one device? You'd think a large d/l would cause the same problem even?

Message 10 of 13
IrvSp
Master

@Billcc80, what mouse is this? Wireless comes in 2 versions for mice, 2.4Ghz wireless and Bluetooth wireless. What band on the router is the TV using?

Message 11 of 13

@IrvSp wrote:

Wondering if it is a mouse driver problem?

Maybe even the battery?

Just another user.

Message 12 of 13
myersw
Master

Good call on battery. My keyboard/mouse is a 3050 wireless not bluetooth Microsoft unit. Mouse will get flaky and when I look down at it the red light is flashing. Hay change the battery stupid. I prefer the feel of the MS mouse over the Logitech. Desktop PC is under desk with a wireless USB unit sitting on top of the PC. In my case I am about 4 feet from a AP. Have not glowed yet. 😉

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E