Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X4S R7800 - Using Apple TV

187-J4CK4L
Aspirant

Nighthawk X4S R7800 - Using Apple TV

I just purchased a 64GB Apple TV 4K. I am having trouble getting it to see my Windows 10 PC on my network. I have enabled and signed into Home Sharing in iTunes on my PC and on the Apple TV and selected the folders I would like to share. My Apple TV and PC are both connected by ethernet to my Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800.  I ran the PC search on the TV device and it can't find anything.  I tested it with my firewalls both off and on.  The Apple TV still does not see my computer.  Are there any permissions that need to be enabled in the BIOS of my router?  Or are there permission settings that need to be changed in Windows?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
pec967
Luminary

Re: Nighthawk X4S R7800 - Using Apple TV

I had the same problem. In my case, this was due to an incompatibility between the R7800 and my 16-port Netgear Ethernet switch that breaks the Apple Bonjour protocol (A number of people have reported this problem, which also breaks Apple AirPrint). The fix was to turn off IGMP Snooping in the Ethernet switch via the web interface to the switch.

View solution in original post

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 5 of 13

All Replies
microchip8
Master

Does you Apple TV even gets an IP address from the router?

Message 2 of 13
187-J4CK4L
Aspirant

Yes, the Apple Tv works perfectly fine. It just dose not find my computer on my network.
Message 3 of 13
microchip8
Master

Might be something related to your PC network. I can't tell. I also don't know how you expose the network for the Apple TV to find it. Is it DLNA, Samba, etc?

Message 4 of 13
pec967
Luminary

I had the same problem. In my case, this was due to an incompatibility between the R7800 and my 16-port Netgear Ethernet switch that breaks the Apple Bonjour protocol (A number of people have reported this problem, which also breaks Apple AirPrint). The fix was to turn off IGMP Snooping in the Ethernet switch via the web interface to the switch.

Message 5 of 13
187-J4CK4L
Aspirant

Thank you for the tip! I’ll give that a try.
Message 6 of 13
187-J4CK4L
Aspirant

I looked for that setting and found “Disable IGMP Proxying” and it was checked. So I unchecked, enabling it and now it seems to be working. Thank you for your help. That is way more than I got out of the Apple support pages. Those people were useless😂.
Message 7 of 13
pec967
Luminary

IGMP Snooping Proxy is a different protocol  from IGMP Snooping. What Ethernet switch do you have?

Below is the Netgear article on IGMP Snooping.

https://kb.netgear.com/31257/Default-IGMP-settings-may-affect-multicast-streams-on-NETGEAR-Web-Manag...

IGMP snooping is enabled by default on NETGEAR Web Managed Plus Switches. This can help to prevent unwanted traffic being sent to clients who do not request it and can improve network performance.

In certain situations, this setting can cause problems with applications (e.g. TiVo) that rely on multicast traffic to be flooded to all ports.

To disable this setting, follow the steps below.

1. You must know the IP address of the switch. If you do not know the IP address of the switch, you can find it by discovering the switch using the ProSAFE Plus Configuration Utility
  2. Ensure that the firmware on the switch is up to date
  3. Open a web browser.
  4. In the address bar of the web browser, type the IP address of the switch and press Enter.
  5. Type the admin password of the switch (the default password is password) and click Login.
  6. Go to System - MultiCast.
  7. Set IGMP Snooping Status to Disable.
  8. Set Block Unknown Multicast Address to Disable if not already disabled.
  9. Click Apply.
  10. Go to System - Management - Broadcast Forwarding.
    Note: The Broadcast Forwarding option is only applicable to GS116Ev2, JGS524Ev2, JGS516PE and JGS524PE models of Web Managed Plus Switch.
  11. Set Broadcast Forwarding Method to Hardware.
  12. Click Apply.
Message 8 of 13
187-J4CK4L
Aspirant

I have the Nighthawk X4S R7800.
Message 9 of 13
pec967
Luminary

What I have is an external 16-port Ethernet switch connected to the R7800. The problem I had related to the interaction between the 16-port Ethernet switch and the R7800. Do you have any external Ethernet switches?

I assume what you have toggled is the R7800 configuration for IGMP Proxy in WAN Setup? I had tried toggling this at one time, and I was able to get the AppleTV to show up for a few hours after a reboot, but it would then disappear.

Message 10 of 13
187-J4CK4L
Aspirant

I have my computer and Apple TV plugged right into my R7800 Wi-fi router.  I have a Netgear 8 port Gigabit Switch coming off the R7800 going to other devices.

Message 11 of 13
187-J4CK4L
Aspirant

This is turning into the biggest headache and this Apple crap is either gonna be smashed with a hammer or returned to the store.  First thing, I don't understand why I cannot connect to my router login through ethernet, it only works when my DESKTOP COMPUTER is using my USB wi-fi adapter, STUPID!!!  My computer is right next to my router and modem, I will not use wi-fi!!  Second, after I got the Apple TV working, I disconnected my wi-fi adapter and reconnected my PC to ethernet, the crapple tv no longet connects to my PC.  This makes no FKN sense!!!!!!!  The instructions for changing the IGMP settings above do not apply to the model of wi-fi router I have.  I don't have a System - Multicast selection.

Message 12 of 13
pec967
Luminary

I have two pieces of equipment: (1) R7800 router and (2) external 16-port Ethernet switch connected to the R7800. The problem I experienced, which had the same symptoms as you described, was due to the interaction of these two pieces of equipment.  

I would set the IGMP Proxy setting in the router back to its default and then power everthing down -- modem, R7800, PC, AppleTV, etc. Power up the modem, and once it is up power up the R7800. After the router is up, power up the rest of your equipment, start iTunes, and see if the AppleTV shows up.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7