Re: Nighthawk X4S R7800 firmware update failed

texicard
Aspirant

Nighthawk X4S R7800 firmware update failed

Just purchased r7800 and installed it behind uverse gateway bgw210 using ip passthrough similar to my previous installation with r7000 which I am replacing with the r7800.  For some reason the r7800 does not want to upgrade to the latest firmware even downloading and trying manual upgrade.  each time I try to run the upgrade I get an error" 400 Bad Request,   This server does not support the operation requested by your client" ?  anybody run into this before?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
antinode
Guru

> Just purchased r7800 [...]

New?  Used?  Firmware version?

> [...] the r7800 does not want to upgrade to the latest firmware even
> downloading and trying manual upgrade. [...]

Which file are you trying to load into the thing?  How, exactly?

> [...] each time I try to run the upgrade I get an error" 400 Bad
> Request, This server does not support the operation requested by your
> client" ?

Using which web browser on which OS?  Try a different web browser?

If you get desperate, then you could try the TFTP recovery scheme.
See, for example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096

But that would be pretty drastic in most cases.

Message 2 of 6
microchip8
Master

do you hve the correct firmware image for the R7800 - the firmware is distributed in a zip file you have to unzip? Also, clear your browser cache before uploading it

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.88SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 3 of 6
texicard
Aspirant

Was purchased new from Amazon (direct, not 3rd party).  Came with fw version 46 and was trying to upgrade to fw version 62. Using Win 7 with chrome as default browser. 

After several attempts was finally able to get version 62 downloaded and installed successfully.  The error was also occurring when I went to advanced setup for LAN and tried to reserve ip addresses for some attached devices.   After finally getting fw version 62 installed the error has not happened again.  So I think it must have been a glitch in the fw version 46.

@antinode wrote:

> Just purchased r7800 [...]

New?  Used?  Firmware version?

> [...] the r7800 does not want to upgrade to the latest firmware even
> downloading and trying manual upgrade. [...]

Which file are you trying to load into the thing?  How, exactly?

> [...] each time I try to run the upgrade I get an error" 400 Bad
> Request, This server does not support the operation requested by your
> client" ?

Using which web browser on which OS?  Try a different web browser?

If you get desperate, then you could try the TFTP recovery scheme.
See, for example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096

But that would be pretty drastic in most cases.

Message 4 of 6
mph101_33705
Aspirant

Be careful what you are doing because maybe (most likely) the firmware you have is superior  to the latest firmware upgrades which will/could disable your 5 g band entirely. The latest firmware upgrades since .52 are junk.

Message 5 of 6
texicard
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice.  Yes I have read previous comments about the current (version 62) of r7800 firmware.  My main concern was that the upload function seemed to be broken in my installed version (46?).  So far the 5ghz band seems to be working fine.  I will watch it to make sure that it does not degrade.  Meanwhile I had downloaded Voxel's latest version for firmware for r7800 (I think it has 63SF on the end of the version number).  At the time I could not get Voxel firmware version recognized by the original firmware (it did not like the date).  So I will keep the Voxel firmware in a folder for possible later use.  I must say that when version 62 of the netgear firmware was finally installed it corrected the public Ip that Uverse gateway had assigned to the R7800.  The ip passthrough seems to working as it should and did with my previous R7000.  Thanks to everyone for help and guidance.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements