Nighthawk X4S R7800 udp multicast blocked between wired and wireless

mizort1989
Aspirant

Nighthawk X4S R7800 udp multicast blocked between wired and wireless

Hello Guys,

So i have This Nighthawk X4S R7800  running V1.0.2.68 firmware.

I noticed that my Mediaserver connected over LAN sending SSDP multicast udp frames to destination address 239.255. 255.250 not appearing over the wifi clients.

I opened wireshark and could see the frames being sent over lan , but checking wireshark on wifi clients, i couldn't see the udp multicast frames.

Over the Lan i can see the udp multicast frames coming from the wifi clients.

So it seems that the udp multicast communication over lan is not gatewayed properly to wifi clients.

Does anyone know about this issue or have a fix for it ?

Thanks.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 1 of 7
pec967
Luminary

Re: Nighthawk X4S R7800 udp multicast blocked between wired and wireless

The only multicast problem I have had with the R7800 was due to an IGMP Snooping incompatibility between my Netgear GS116E v2 Ethernet switch and my R7800. I had no problems with my previous Linksys router. The symptoms were problems with Apple's Bonjour protocol, e.g., My Apple TV 4th Gen could not see my Windows 10 machine running iTunes after a day or so. Here is the Netgear Support posting: https://kb.netgear.com/31257/Default-IGMP-settings-may-affect-multicast-streams-on-NETGEAR-Web-Manag...

Message 2 of 7
mizort1989
Aspirant

Hello @pec967 

Thanks for the info, My samsung TV has similar behaviour like the Tivo mentioned in the article

<Article Quote>

"In certain situations, this setting can cause problems with applications (e.g. TiVo) that rely on multicast traffic to be flooded to all ports."

<\Article Quote>

Do you know if i can do the same with my R7800 Router since i can't find any IGMP snooping options in the firmware and the article is talking about the NG Switch.

Thanks

Message 3 of 7
mizort1989
Aspirant

Message 4 of 7
pec967
Luminary

> Do you know if i can do the same with my R7800 Router since i can't find any IGMP snooping options in the firmware and the article is

> talking about the NG Switch.

There are no IGMP Snooping settings in the R7800. 

I had the Netgear Ethernet switch prior to getting the R7800, and I had no problems with the Apple TV, which uses Bonjour and depends on multicast working on the LAN. All I did was swap routers, and this problem appeared. The R7800 is connected to the Netgear Ethernet switch and all the other wired devices connect to the same switch.

Message 5 of 7
mizort1989
Aspirant

Hello @pec967 

Thanks for your help, appreicate it.

My problem is that some of my devices are connected to wlan and the problem relies in the fact that thes udp broadcast are not gatewayed from wired to wireless.

I found a couple of threads talking about the same issue from 2018, but i don't know if they found a problem or not, i am going to be really disappointed if there is no solution for this from 2018.

Anyway, thanks again.

Message 6 of 7
pec967
Luminary

You might try unchecking the box "Disable IGMP Proxying" on the R7800 WAN configuration screen and see if that helps.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements