Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 AC3200 R8000 Content Filtering Question

ijankrom
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 AC3200 R8000 Content Filtering Question

Is there a way to identify which word (from the content filtering list) the router is hitting on to block websites/services?  Some backend log or something like that?

Description of my issue:

So I'm using the content filtering on my Nighthawk X6 (R8000) router and found when in use I'm unable to use my Hulu streaming service, I'm getting and error 94.  Now I know it's not Hulu as once I turn off content filtering (set to Never) then it starts working.  I did not have this trouble with an earlier Netgear router with content filtering enabled, but then again I've added additional words since purchasing the Nighthawk. 

Checked out the Logs from the Routers web interface, not very useful as it just states (site blocked: [website or service] from IP, Day, Date and time).  I would like to understand what specific words the router is hitting on to decide to block a website or service, without completing a process of elimination?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

I can't answer your specific question, but there is a fast way to find the work, assuming you were going to try it one by one.

Lets say you have 100 words. First thing to do, save the settings so you can restore them all at any time.

Next remove 1/2 and test. Still a problem, it is in the other half. Restore and remove the other half and test to verify.

Next restore all and remove 1/2 of those that were in the failing test and retest. Again, didn't fail, restore and remove the other half and retest to verify.

Eventually by removing 1/2 and discovering which half has the problem, restoring and cutting in 1/2 again and test you'll figure it out.

Should be faster than one by one removal.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

I can't answer your specific question, but there is a fast way to find the work, assuming you were going to try it one by one.

Lets say you have 100 words. First thing to do, save the settings so you can restore them all at any time.

Next remove 1/2 and test. Still a problem, it is in the other half. Restore and remove the other half and test to verify.

Next restore all and remove 1/2 of those that were in the failing test and retest. Again, didn't fail, restore and remove the other half and retest to verify.

Eventually by removing 1/2 and discovering which half has the problem, restoring and cutting in 1/2 again and test you'll figure it out.

Should be faster than one by one removal.

Message 2 of 4
ijankrom
Aspirant

Thank you IrvSp, I've actually been running through that scenario since there's currently only one service that is being blocked.  However I would still like to know, especially for future purposes, if there's any back end logs or even request an enhancement for the product to include the word/phrase that was hit on in the current logs that you can see from the GUI.

Message 3 of 4
IrvSp
Master

I don't think NG looks at these threads for suggestions? Might take them from HERE though. Wouldn't hold my breath on this. Logging is not one of the strong features of NG routers. More often reports just what happened, not why it happened or what the real cause that made it happen was. Too many false positive attach reports as well.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7