Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 AC3200 R8000 Tri-Band no longer recognizes my Modem or Internet Connection.

NetBillGeek
Guide

Nighthawk X6 AC3200 R8000 Tri-Band no longer recognizes my Modem or Internet Connection.

My router ( Nighthawk X6 AC3200 R8000 )  no longer recognizes my modem or Internet Connection.

If I plug from the modem directly to the computer, the internet connection works fine.

If I plug into the router for internet connection, the router doesn’t see the connection and won’t let me go online or connect to my Roku device, etc.

I did a reset to factory setting, but I cannot reconfigure the router after the reset because it still won’t recognize my internet connection.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanks!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Re: Nighthawk X6 AC3200 R8000 Tri-Band no longer recognizes my Modem or Internet Connection.

@NetBillGeek wrote:

My router ( Nighthawk X6 AC3200 R8000 )  no longer recognizes my modem or Internet Connection.

If I plug from the modem directly to the computer, the internet connection works fine.

If I plug into the router for internet connection, the router doesn’t see the connection and won’t let me go online or connect to my Roku device, etc.

I did a reset to factory setting, but I cannot reconfigure the router after the reset because it still won’t recognize my internet connection.

Thanks!

Did the router 'ever' get the Internet connection or is this a NEW router?

I'm assuming the modem previously was connected direct to a PC and you got a router. If so, the modem needs to be power cycled. If is 'locked' onto the PC's MAC Address and rejects the router connection. So power down the router and all other devices. Power cycle off and on the modem and wait for it to come all the way up. Then power on the router, let it come all the way up and then power on the devices.

Still, as noted above, you do NOT need an Internet connection to configure the router. Just a connected PC via wired or wireless. Open a browser and go to 192.168.1.1 or ROUTERLOGIN.NET and you should start the router setup process.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> I did a reset to factory setting, but I cannot reconfigure the router
> after the reset because it still won't recognize my internet connection.

What makes you think that you need an Internet connection to
configure your router?  (If that were true, then how would anyone
configure a new router?)

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.

Message 2 of 8
IrvSp
Master

@NetBillGeek wrote:

Thanks!

I'm assuming the modem previously was connected direct to a PC and you got a router. If so, the modem needs to be power cycled. If is 'locked' onto the PC's MAC Address and rejects the router connection. So power down the router and all other devices. Power cycle off and on the modem and wait for it to come all the way up. Then power on the router, let it come all the way up and then power on the devices.

Still, as noted above, you do NOT need an Internet connection to configure the router. Just a connected PC via wired or wireless. Open a browser and go to 192.168.1.1 or ROUTERLOGIN.NET and you should start the router setup process.

Message 3 of 8
myersw
Master

Is your PC Ethernet connected to router? If a Windows PC you can then go to command prompt (Windows key +r then type in cmd for command prompt) and enter ipconfig. If you get a valid IP address starting with 192.168.1.xx then you have a connection to the router. The default gateway given in the ipconfig command is the IP address of the router. You should be able to put this in your browser of choice and access the router to configure. No Internet connection required. 

Now to the no Internet. Power off or unplug the modem and the router at the sametime. Then power the modem up and let it get connected to your ISP. This should clear any stored MAC address from your PC. Some modems can only hold one. Now power up the router. It should connect to the Internet at this point. If you have a router with some configuration info and not new then reset the router and do the power off/on sequence again. 

Message 4 of 8
NetBillGeek
Guide

@IrvSp wrote:

@NetBillGeek wrote:

Thanks!

Hi  @IrvSp,

Thanks for the reply.  Is not a new router.  It was working fine for a few months and all of the sudden it stopped recognizing the modem or internet connection.  I cannot use any of the devices connected to the router via wi-fi.  Roku, AppleTV, iPads, etc.  

I will try some of your suggestions and see if they take care of my problem.

Message 5 of 8
NetBillGeek
Guide

@myersw wrote:

Is your PC Ethernet connected to router? If a Windows PC you can then go to command prompt (Windows key +r then type in cmd for command prompt) and enter ipconfig. If you get a valid IP address starting with 192.168.1.xx then you have a connection to the router. The default gateway given in the ipconfig command is the IP address of the router. You should be able to put this in your browser of choice and access the router to configure. No Internet connection required. 

Now to the no Internet. Power off or unplug the modem and the router at the sametime. Then power the modem up and let it get connected to your ISP. This should clear any stored MAC address from your PC. Some modems can only hold one. Now power up the router. It should connect to the Internet at this point. If you have a router with some configuration info and not new then reset the router and do the power off/on sequence again. 

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply.

The Ethernet cable from my iMac computer is going into the router as a direct connection.

The modem is connected to the internet port on the router.

All other devices go thru the router via wi-fi.

Thanks for the suggestions

Message 6 of 8
IrvSp
Master

@NetBillGeek wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  Is not a new router.  It was working fine for a few months and all of the sudden it stopped recognizing the modem or internet connection.  I cannot use any of the devices connected to the router via wi-fi.  Roku, AppleTV, iPads, etc.  

That is a 'different' story. Suspect a possible damage router or power supply.

What are the colors on the LED's?

With the PC that you could plug into the modem, can you use a browser and go to the router's homepage?

Do you have another cable you can use to connect the modem to router as the modem seems to be working? Possible the cable went bad between the two, however if you can't use a PC connected to the router to get to it, it could very well the router failed even? Best to try the RESET and see it that recovers it?

Message 7 of 8
NetBillGeek
Guide

Hi  IrvSp and myersw,

I tried some of your suggestions and after several attempts,  I got the router working again.  I did try this yesterday, but I must have missed something in the process.  At least I know I was on the right track.

I want to thank both of you for your kind reply and professionalism.  Your help is greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!!!

I hope this thread helps others that may experience the same problem.

Best Regards

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7