Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 AC3200 R8000

Bob_Raskey
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 AC3200 R8000

I'm miffed because I have a Netgear R6120 that has been great for years, but I have attempted to replace it for better range with the Nighthawk X6S AC4000 R8000P. However the Nighthawk does not recognize my ISP which is PCI Broadband, and the routers Internet light keeps flashing orange. I had assumed this would be a walk in the park, but am being told I might need a modem to get it to work. Why didn't I need one for the old R6120.?? And if I need a modem, what brand and model do you recommend.

Thanks,

Bob Raskey

COS, CO. 80831

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6s AC4000 R8000P

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in for 15 seconds then let go. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds than back on. Then log in to 192.168.1.1 using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

I'd ask the ISP if there is any user account and password information needed to setup the router to work with there services. They should be able to help you set up any wifi router with there interface hardware. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 AC3200 R8000

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 8
Bob_Raskey
Aspirant

Don't know the present firmware loaded.

Nighthawk X6s AC4000 R8000P, provider is PCI Broadband out of Colorado Springs, CO.

I'm told by the ISP that I have satilite service which provides an ethernet connection, shouldn't need a modem.

Plug it in with just the ISP connected and all I ghet is a flashing Orange Internet light.

Can't find a connection from it, I guess I won't if it doesn't connect/handshake to the ISP.

I try to access it via PC using 192.168.1.1, but then it asks me to answer security questions.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in for 15 seconds then let go. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds than back on. Then log in to 192.168.1.1 using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

I'd ask the ISP if there is any user account and password information needed to setup the router to work with there services. They should be able to help you set up any wifi router with there interface hardware. 

Message 4 of 8

Re: Nighthawk X6 AC3200 R8000

@Bob_Raskey wrote:

I'm miffed because I have a Netgear R6120 that has been great for years, but I have attempted to replace it for better range with the Nighthawk X6S AC4000 R8000P.

.... am being told I might need a modem to get it to work. Why didn't I need one for the old R6120.??

Very good question.

Whoever told you that you need a modem seems to be a bit off beam. If you had a R6120 that worked just fine, then the R8000P will be fine.

Message 5 of 8
Bob_Raskey
Aspirant

Furrye38,

That did it, had to go back to scratch to make it work.

The only item of interest is 15 seconds to reset didn't work, 

then I remember someone else mentioned the reset button,

but they mentioned 45 seconds.  That worked.

I followed the rest of your instructions ans was online in minutes.

Thank you for all your help, you are truly a lifesaver and master of the Net Gear.

Working like a charm now.  

Bob Raskey

Message 6 of 8

@Bob_Raskey wrote:

This is the well known "recovery reset" hand jive.

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

I mention it again because it can even be useful when someone has what seems to be a "bricked" device, one that will not complete the boot process and end up with a white power LED.

The recovery reset can eliminate the need to mess around with TFTP. It puts the device into a state where a standard manual update of the firmware will work.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya normally a 10 second press is all that needed, however, seening some posts regarding needing longer presses or different press method processes recently. Glad the 45 second worked. I'll keep this in mine too. 

Be sure to save off a new back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

@Bob_Raskey wrote:

Furrye38,

That did it, had to go back to scratch to make it work.

I followed the rest of your instructions ans was online in minutes.

Thank you for all your help, you are truly a lifesaver and master of the Net Gear.

Working like a charm now.  

Bob Raskey

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7