Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 AC3200 not connecting to Spectrum Modem

collinray8
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 AC3200 not connecting to Spectrum Modem

I bought this router secondhand from someone and it appeared to be brand new in the box. I have downloaded the Nighthawk App to get the router set up. I am having issues getting the router to connect to the modem, the error I am recieving on the app is "no cable detected". I have used multiple new Cat6 cords, all of which I know work becasue I have used them with my old router and have not had an issue. 

I have reset the router multiple times, and reset the modem multiple times. I even called Spectrum and had them reset the modem themselves. 

The Spectrum modem is an "Arris" Model No. TM1602A.

I have a friend that purchased a Nighthawk router and had a similar issue with Spectrum in the past but it has been some time and he cannot remember exactly what they had to do to resolve the issue. 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 AC3200 not connecting to Spectrum Modem

try this. 

Factory reset the R8000. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. Maybe it was installed and an old setting is cause issues. 

once its reset power off the modem and the router. disconnect everything from both. (even coax from modem)

connect coax back to the modem. power it on. wait several minutes for it to fully boot. 

connect the lan cable from modem to wan port on router. 

power the router on. give it several minutes to boot. 

Then attempt setup on it. 

Message 2 of 14
collinray8
Aspirant

I tried your recommendation, but did not have any luck getting past the same point of "no cable detected". 

Is the "loop test" of plugging an ethernet cable into the WAN port and in a LAN port on the R8000 a valid test to determine if the internet port is bad? 

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

you should be able to wan-lan test it. 

does the arris work if you directly connect your laptop? 

Message 4 of 14
collinray8
Aspirant

When I do the LAN/WAN test, the internet LED does not light up, but the LAN port in use does light up. 

The Arris does work if I just bypass the router completely and plug in directly to my computer. 

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

what firmware version is on it? (the netgear)

Message 6 of 14
collinray8
Aspirant

Firmware Version: V1.0.4.46_10.1.63

Message 7 of 14
plemans
Guru

try installing the latest firmware version 1.0.4.62. then factory reset it and do a clean install (not from backup).

Then try going through the install I recommended prior. 

Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

try installing the latest firmware version 1.0.4.62 over a hard wired connection, then factory reset it and do a clean install (not from backup).

Then try going through the install I recommended prior. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r8000.aspx#download

Message 9 of 14
collinray8
Aspirant

Sorry for the delay, I just had the chance to do this step. I was still unsuccessful after downloading and uploading the new Firmware you shared with me. I am still stuck at the same spot of "no cable detected". 

Again, thank you for the recommendations. If you have any others, I am all ears. I am very determined to make this work. I have inspected the port and it does not look like there was any damage. 

Message 10 of 14
plemans
Guru

If the port is bad, there is a wan port mirror option in the debug console. Not 100% if the R8000 has it but worth a shot. It mirrors the wan port to port 1 on the router. 

you get to it by going to the ip address/debug.htm

for example 192.168.1.1/debug.htm

Message 11 of 14
Bubby8282
Aspirant

Sorry
Message 12 of 14
plemans
Guru

@Bubby8282 Please start your own thread. We're happy to help but we don't want to confuse someone else's issues/details with the OP's. Thanks

Message 13 of 14
Bubby8282
Aspirant

Started new thread of you could help plz
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements