Re: Nighthawk X6 - Model R8000 refuses to connect to the internet through Cisco modem

ourgangmn
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 - Model R8000 refuses to connect to the internet through Cisco modem

I purchased a Nighthawk router based on the experience a friend had with his. My experience has been frustrating for over a year now.  For one it constantly lost its connection to the internet. The cheap Actiontec F2250 from my ISP was far more reliable than the $300 piece of hardware from Netgear. (Unless for all that cash I also get a bonus workout by constantly walking over to the router to powercycle my network....)

We recently moved and now are connected to a Cisco DCP3925. No matter what I try this $300 shiny black box will not connect to the internet when connected to the Cisco. All the LED's are white, except the Interet LED which stays amber.

So, before suggesting I go through all the obligitory steps, please read what I have already tried:

I switched ethernet cables.

I used different ethernet  ports on the modem.

I power cycled the network.

I performed a factory reset on the Nighthawk twice.

Firmware is v1.0.3.54_1.1.37

In frustration I disconnected it and plugged in my older WNDR-4500 and that router immediately connected to the internet. 

For kicks and giggles I plugged the Nighthawk X6 R8000 into the WNDR-4500 and guess what? The internet LED is white. So why does the expensive shiny black box need the less expensive router to actually begin to function? I am sure that having a chain of three routers (Cisco, Netgear 4500 and then X6) is hardly going to work well.

When connecting a laptop to the Nighthawk via ethernet cable I can login and Netgear Genie shows that the router has internet, however the laptop does not have an actual connection to the internet (Windows networking says there is no internet and trying to browse the internet doesn't work).

So other than power cycling and factory reset, what is a real solution that will actually work? For a year nobody from Netgear responded to my previous request for help with this same router constantly and intermittently disconnecting from the internet with any actual help. I want to love this router....but so far it has proved to be a frustrating waste of my hard earned money. Real help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
ourgangmn
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X6 - Model R8000 refuses to connect to the internet through Cisco modem

I reset the internet setup using the Netgear Genie menu on the Nighthawk and now the router will provide an internet connection, but it is still connected to the other Netgear router. That is a step in the right direction, but far from where we need to end up.

Message 2 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Do the logs on the Nighthawk shed any light when it's connected to the Cisco?

Once in a blue moon I read about difficulties with negotiating the Ethernet port speed between two devices. This can often be resolved by inserting an Ethernet switch between the devices.

If you don't have a spare switch handy, you can jury rig the WNDR4500 into a switch by disabling its DHCP server. Make sure to assign it an IP address that doesn't conflict with any other device. Then use only its LAN ports.

Apart from that, the only other thing I can think of is MAC address access control. If the Cisco is using it, then you'll need to whitelist the MAC address of the R8000's WAN port.
Message 3 of 4
ourgangmn
Aspirant

Thank you.

After connecting it successfully via the other router I did wonder if a switch would work. I have one so I'll try it.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E