Highlighted
Star

Nighthawk X6 R7900 Randomly Drops Internet (WAN) for Various Devices

Hello,

My router keeps randomly dropping internet connectivity both on wireless and wired connections. It only occurs on just 1 random connected device at a time (not ALL connected devices) roughly once a day. There's nothing wrong with the internet, and power cycling the phone/tablet/laptop's wifi (or ethernet) connection, or changing to another SSID on the same router will re-establish the internet connection for that device. While these devices are rudely disconnected from the internet, they can still see other devices on the local network.

Also, whenever my Lenovo laptop wakes up again, I always have to flip-flop the SSID to re-establish internet connectivity. It can still see other devices on the LAN, and this didn't happen with the previous router.

I've already returned this model once to Costco (same problems) and won't bother with another hardware instance if this second hardware is faulty too. I'm running the latest firmware V1.0.1.8_10.0.14.

Any suggestions? Is it time to punt Netgear?

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 91
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk X6 R7900 Randomly Drops Internet (WAN) for Various Devices

Welcome to the community, @RonSmith

Who is your ISP? 
When you bypass the router, the connection is stable?

It seems that the disconnection happens on the Internet side. Did you try using a different Ethernet cable between the router and the modem?

When the disconnection happens, can you check if you will see an Internet IP address under the Internet Port.

If it indicates 0.0.0.0 then it could be that the ISP/modem dropping the connection or the Internet port on the router is bad. 

However, having mentioned that you have replaced this then I would suggest that you observe your connection when you directly connect a PC to the modem. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 2 of 91
Highlighted
Star

Hello and thank you for replying.

My ISP is a local WISP company. But I know it's not a problem my ISP or aything up to the Netgear router because (a) my previous old d-link router worked/works without interruptions (same cables, etc.), and (b) when a particular device is disconnected by the Netgear router, other devices connected to the same Netgear router continue to connect to the internet just fine. Therefore, there's no need to look to anything but the Netgear router as the problem. It's as though the Netgear router chooses to disconnect particular devices from just internet connectivity at random times. I don't have any of the parental controls or device blocking set-up at all.

Perhaps the firmware engineers are aware of this and working on a fix?

Message 3 of 91
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I have not seen any reports about Internet disconnection.

How is the router configured? 
Do you use a username and password in the router admin page?

If not, I suggest that you select "Use Computer MAC Address". 

Once done, power cycle the modem, router and computer then observe your connection. 

If it's the same thing, I suggest that you log a case with support for further diagnosis. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 4 of 91
Highlighted

Hi,

I'd like to confirm that I have exactly the same problem. And my last dlink worked perfectly fine. This has been happening for months but is very obvious now as I can't connect to my Chromecast due to interrupted wifi from the router.
Message 5 of 91
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ChainBreaker Did you also select "Use Computer MAC Address"? If the result is the same, then I would say log a case as well. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 6 of 91
Highlighted

I use a username and password on my router. Are you suggesting I change that to Mac address? Does it reduce security measures?
Message 7 of 91
Highlighted

I use a username and password on my router. Are you suggesting I change that to Mac address? Does it reduce security measures?

Where do I find this feature? And how do I work. Out what's my pcs mac address is?

Also it drops the outward Internet connection. Simply says its not there except my phones using it fine.

Message 8 of 91
Highlighted
Star

Well, I don't have much patience to go round and round with Netgear employees of unknown expertise/knowledge/competence. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone knows of a workaround or fix, but in my case, I can just return it to Costco and find another brand that doesn't have problems. I HAVE seen many reports of various Netgear modems disconnecting similar to what I've experienced (in product reviews and in forums), but I haven't seen a fix.

Such is what we have to work with these days. I'll leave this forum open for a while to see if someone is kind enough to post a resolution. I'll give it a month or so then return it to Costco.

Message 9 of 91
Highlighted
Prodigy

I used to have problems simular to this due to IP conflicts.  Try reserving your IP addresses through the router web interface under the Advanced tab select Setup and LAN Setup under that.  Then add each device by clicking the +Add button on the bottom of the page.  You should probably click the Apply button on the top of the page after you add all the reservations. You might want to turn all your network connected devices on prior to making reservations so you can make a reservation for all your devices.  My problems were caused by cell phones that would leave the house and therefore the network and then they would receive a different IP address when they were brought back into the house/network.  These new IP addresses would sometimes be the same as some other network connected device thus causing an IP conflict and neither device would work on the network.

Message 10 of 91
Highlighted

Ah! That makes sense. The problem then will be the mobiles... How do you dedicate a ip to a wondering phone?
Message 11 of 91
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ChainBreaker Then that option is not applicable to you.

What's the brand of your modem? Perhaps, you need to make sure that your modem is set in bridge mode. 

Contact your ISP to verify if it's in bridge mode. The goal is to make sure that the modem is working as a plain modem. 

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 12 of 91
Highlighted
Star

Looks like my thread got hijacked and is now focused on an unrelated problem!  Smiley Sad

Anyway, in *MY* case, I've reserved all my devices, so the IPs are not changing. Also, they seem to get cut from internet connection while having been on for a while. I'll try to get more information from a device next time it's suddenly cut off from the internet to see if the IP got changed, but again, these devices can see other devices on the LAN when having been cut from internet/wan connectivity.

Message 13 of 91
Highlighted

Sorry. I'll start my own!
Message 14 of 91
Highlighted

I have the same issue. Moved from Linksys with no issues to this one loses connection every 20-30 minutes
Message 15 of 91
Highlighted

Exact same story. Why did I ever move from Linksys ....

Reading horror stories about netgear routers losing connectivity all the time - should have read before purchasing....

Message 16 of 91
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have been having the same issues with random wi-fi dropping for th apst 8-10 months. It is just 1 month past warranty and I am extremely frustrated. This is one of the crappiest modems I have owned. I have called Netgear support a couple of times and they have not been very helpful in resolving this nor would give me a replacement.

It is time to buy another better, rugged and releiable modem.

I will never by Netgear again.

RR

Message 17 of 91
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have been having this problem for almost two years now but the problem has just gotten worse lately where I cannot bear it anymore. My internet drops almost every hour to the point that I am afraid to sign my on the internet to work on important stuff because of fear of losing my connection.  My computer is connected to the router but I cannot access the internet.  To add insult t injury, when I called up the Netgear tech support, I was told that my warranty has expired already and now they want me to pay for them to fix my problem. It is an expensive router but I am not willing to pay for this. I'd rather replace my router than pay. This is ridiculous. I will never buy Netgear again, any kind of Netgear.

Message 18 of 91
Highlighted

Have you tried the latest firmware and then performing a factory reset?
Message 19 of 91
Highlighted
Tutor

Same problem! Some devices not connecting at all, but I am currently online with my phone using the WiFi (no cell data arbitration home). All other devices aren’t functioning out of the blue. They all worked fine last night. This happened a month ago, too, and resolved somewhat randomly. I’ve rebooted, updated firmware, played with AP mode, etc. It is not the internet connection because I’m currently using it. Seems to be something with how nighthawk is talking to my devices. I just don’t understand why it starts seemingly out of nowhere. Big problem.
Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 20 of 91
Highlighted
Tutor

Yeah, I have the same problem and am getting really sick and tired of rebooting this thing every two days.  My application is not even very taxing - couple of smart TVs, phones, iPads, laptops.  I had a cheap ASUS router that ran for YEARs without a single reboot, but I needed something with a little more signal in my backyard (which the R7900 has).  Was hoping to find an answer on this thread, but seeing as there are none, this will probably go back to Costco and getting something that isn't Netgear.  This was my most expensive router ever - garbage.

Message 21 of 91
Highlighted
Tutor

I found in the end that the AP mode was the problem - somehow it intermittently would work ok and then something would switch over behind the scenes and it would stop providing up addresses to my other devices. The fix for me was to shut off AP mode, reset the router, and use the wizard to set up the internet without an internet connection. At some point it asks some questions that I didn’t have answers to, and the last ditch solution is to try an “old MAC address” that previously worked. I inputted the MAC address on the back of the router and it works great now. No problems since.
Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 22 of 91
Highlighted
Tutor

Will look into this.  Sounds like Netgear has some more issues to patch.  Thanks Jivejive. 

Message 23 of 91
Highlighted
Star

I still have this router. My work-around was to disable the feature that uses 1 SSID for both 5g signals--their so-called "smart-connect." My original problem of some wireless devices not re-connecting to the WAN (while still being connected to the LAN) hasn't re-appeared since this work-around.

Message 24 of 91
Highlighted
Aspirant

When you disable SmartConnect, do you have two different SSIDs for the two 5G Channels (for example NETGEAR-5G-1 and Netgear 5G-2)?

Please reply.

Thanks

RR

Message 25 of 91
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements