Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 R8000 AC3200 Questions: Mode & QoS

Dayhiker4k
Tutor

Nighthawk X6 R8000 AC3200 Questions: Mode & QoS

I just listed a post: "Web-based setup shows no Internet." This post is a question about setup. I thought they might me related.

(1) I see it is set up in Access Point Mode. Is AP the correct Mode or should it be in ROUTER Mode?

(2) Should I be using QoS? I see it's not available the way I have it set up.

My ISP is Comcast.

The Firmware version is: v1.0.3.46_1.1.32; and the Windows version is: Windows 10 64 bit, version 1703 (?). The version Microsoft recently released.

If anyone can help this networking novice, I would appreciate it.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 AC3200 Questions: Mode & QoS

Hi Dayhiker4k,

Access the UI of the router and go to advance settings under advanced tab. Select wireless AP then uncheck the wireless AP button.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
netwrks
Master

In Access Point mode, it's common to see No Internet, as the WAN port is not connected to the WAN, but a Base router. Can you get out to the Internet? Did you configure it in AP mode, or did it switch on its own?

EDIT: What model of Comcast device do you have?

Message 2 of 8
Dayhiker4k
Tutor

Hello,

Yes, I can get to the Internet. It configured itself to Access Mode. After I left the post yesterday I did a Google search. I suspect it was because of this Comcast device. It's an Arris Touchstone TG862 Telephony Gateway. It's a cable modem with WiFi built-in and that's how I get phone service. The P/N is TG02DH7862CT.

How do I reconfigure as a router? Also, how does QoS work and do I need it for my home network? I rent out rooms in my house for extra income, so it would be nice to have additional control of my network if it's not too complicated to set up.

Thanks for the help! 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi Dayhiker4k,

Access the UI of the router and go to advance settings under advanced tab. Select wireless AP then uncheck the wireless AP button.

Message 4 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi Dayhiker4k,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 5 of 8
Dayhiker4k
Tutor

Hello,

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I found all of of the information I need on this Community and elsewhere to help me get the router reconfigured from AP to router mode. I still  have a couple of questions, one from my original post and another question:

1. How does QoS work?

2. I cannot log into the router from the mobile Genie App. Should I create a separate post for it?

I apologize for not responding sooner.

Regards,

J.D.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 6 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Message 7 of 8
JamesGL
Master

Hi Dayhiker4k,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7