Highlighted
Guide

Nighthawk X6 R8000 Another slow WiFi Speed Discussion

Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000
Firmware version V1.0.4.58_10.1.72

My internet is really fast, I have Fibre to the Premesis, Asutralian NBN.

I tried the stock modem router provided by my ISP and I was getting over 60Mbps Wireless speeds.

250Mbps Wired speeds. The antennas are bad on the free modem, so I thought i'd upgrade to a Nighthawk X6 R8000.

Friend has the same Nighthawk, he gets over 100Mbps over wifi.
I'm getting capped at ~30Mbps.

The settings below are what I have tried, please give me insight on how to get my wireless speeds up or I will have to return this and just buy a Ubiquiti.

Tried Both Smart connect: ON & OFF

Portscan DOS Protection: Enabled

IMGP Proxying: Enabled

MTU Size: 1500

NAT Filtering: Secured 

QOS: Disabled
WMM: Disabled

Guest Network: Disabled

Readyshare: Disabled

Security: Never

Blocked: Nothing
Parental Controls Disabled

Netgear Armour: No account, not logged in.

Schedule: None / Default

Email: None

Logs: Disabled

Router AutoUpdate: Disabled

Advance Wireless Settings: 20/40MHz coexistance is disabled

Fragmentation Length 2346
CTS/RTS Threshold 2347
Long Preamble
Dynamic DNS Disabled

VPN Service Dsiabled

Traffic Meter Disabled

Am I missing something?

What else can I do to make my WiFi speeds go up, its supposed to be able to be up to 1600Mbps over 5GHz, so I should at least see 200Mbps on my 250Mbps connection?
I get ~250 when wired.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
Guide

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 Another slow WiFi Speed Discussion

I have found the setting.
I enabled WMM and now have gotten max speeds.

Please adjust the Up to 600mbps, up to 1300mbps modes because they certainly do not reach those speeds on wireless unless you do other configuring, that setting was on a different tab under the QoS tab, which is not on the left tree menu.

Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 Another slow WiFi Speed Discussion

@NINJER wrote:

I enabled WMM and now have gotten max speeds. ...that setting was on a different tab under the QoS tab, which is not on the left tree menu.

The magic of some Netgear consumer devices - often seen here why ever.

@NINJER wrote:

Please adjust the Up to 600mbps, up to 1300mbps modes because they certainly do not reach those speeds on wireless unless you do other configuring, ...

Nope.

The R8000 is spec'ed to AC3200 (600 + 1300 + 1300 Mbps). As always, the capabilities possible on the wireless are related to both the access point and the client. Of course, 1300 Mb/s link rates are feasible with 3x3 802.11ac clients. Trouble is most common devices (mobiles, and most notebooks) come with 2x2 radios only. And mobiles often don't have 80 MHz wide channels, only 40 MHz. All this does lower the maximum possible link rates.

Borrowed a table from https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html#wifi5 - The red line shows the R8000 5GHz radio capabilities, the yellow mark shows the max possible link rate with a 2x2 client. This 866 Mb/s link rate does give a typical max effective throughput of about 600 Mb/s.

R8000 vs. common 2x2 adapter.PNG

Welcome to the world of wireless. Completely unrelated to Netgear, this applies to any brand WiFi equipment.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements