• 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 - Degraded Bandwidth - Gigabit Internet

I wanted to post this for those of you that are having issues with slow bandwidth on your Nighthawk R8000 routers.  I've had my R8000 for 4 years, and have never had any issues, until recently.  I've really enjoyed the router up until this point.

I upgraded my Internet package at home a few days ago, from 100M down and 5M up, to 1GB down, 25M up, through Spectrum.  While the Spectrum technican was here, he installed the new modem, and connected it to my R8000.  We did a speed test, and noticed the download speed was 400M down, and 25M up from the wired laptop.   I then did a speed test over 5GHZ WIFI on my IPhone, and got 650M down, and 25 up.

We were obviously expecting faster, so he connected the modem directly to my laptop, bypassing the R8000, and we got 850M down, and 25M up.  Obviously, something on my network was causing the slowness.

I spent the last 3 days searching this community and various blogs, to find that there are many other users having the same issues.  I upgraded the firmware, turned off QOS, traffic meter, UPNP, DHCP, verified all cables were CAT6, all switches and NICs were 1GB, etc....I could never get above 400M down doing a speed test from the R8000 directly, nor from my laptop, plugged directly into the 1GB port on the R8000.

I gave up, and bought the Google WIFI system.  I am now getting 850M down on all wired devices, and up to 750M down on all wireless devices that support 802.11ac.

So, I'm not sure what the problem is with the R8000...whether it is a hardware issue with the CPUs, 1GB ports, or a firmware problem, but it is definitely not capable of handling the increased bandwidth.

Just FYI.  I'll be selling it on eBay to someone who wants it.  Other than that, it has been a great product.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
Highlighted

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 - Degraded Bandwidth - Gigabit Internet

Replacing a modem on a network is not simply a case of swapping out the hardware and turning stuff back on.

You need ton set up the network from scratch. This means a factory reset on your router and then building the network as specified in the set up instructions.

Maybe you tried this, but it is not one of the things you list and it is anyone's guess what you found.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant
Aspirant

Of course I tried that.
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am having the same exact problem. I wish there was a definite answer to a solution to this problem. I have had zero issues with this router up until upgrading to gigabit internet. I guess I will need to purchase a new modem as well it seems.

Message 4 of 8
Highlighted

@bengomez31 wrote:

I am having the same exact problem.

Unfortunately, you provide the same amount of information. That is, not much.

Have you disabled QoS?

Did you restart as suggested?

What is your firmware version?

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

Byu the way, you have just joined in on an existing conversation that may or may not have anything to do with your problems.

There is a good chance that the official support team is busily monitoring new conversations and may miss your addition to this one.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Switch off the QoS and reboot the router.

Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

My nighthhawk r8000 is connected directly to the etheret cable provided by verizon fios.  (NO verizon modem or other).  How can I resolve this same issue?  during 2018 I got 995mb up and dow.  now is only 500.

Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Same with me, I went from Fios to Spectrum.  Originally I had 200/200mbps, and I would not have any issues reaching those speeds wired or wireless, and if anything, maybe a +/-20mbps if it got slower than that it was always fixed by resetting the FiOS modem in the garage/ router or both. Now that I have gone with Spectrum with 400/20mbps my speeds at best have been 280/15mbps.  I did a factory reset, checked all my cables, made sure nothing was connected and the same results. I have just updated my firmware to the current version as well V1.0.4.46_10.1.63 (before factory reset). The only difference now is that I have a modem 3ft away from the router connected by the cable, but I do not see how that has anything to do with it when the Spectrum Tech gets 420/20 directly from the modem wired. The router would not do test speeds either on QOS if I wanted that feature on as well.  I don't know what is keeping my X6 R8000 from putting out those speeds, especially for being a gigabit router. But can someone help us all out? I loved the router until now and would hate to buy another one other than Netgear.

I even tried the QOS to let the router know I am running 400/20 to see if that helped, but it did not. So I turned it back off.

PS.

Thank you for letting me know I wasn't the only one experiencing this.

Message 8 of 8