Nighthawk X6 R8000 Firmeware issues and disapointment.

BonesDig
Guide

Nighthawk X6 R8000 Firmeware issues and disapointment.

The Model section is not working, ( like other netgear issues). I have a Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Model R8000 with a dead 2.4ghz wifi channel as of firmware update 1.0.4.18. Is there a fix in the works? To be left hanging is bad costumer service. I called the tech line.....no help I reset the router.....no help I reset to default settings.....no help and cost time. I called the tech line......they did the same attempts to fix as I did......no help. My warranty is up so the tech line wanted to sell me an extended warranty....... I didn't break it why should I pay for them to tell me they can't fix it. Tech line suggested a new router because there isn't a fix a\t this time. I said why would I buy a new router because as soon as I plug it in it will want to download the new firmware and then I have a new broken router......tech didn't have an answer to that. Because I couldn't go another month with a broken router that again I DIDN'T BREAK, I purchased a Linksys AC1900 MU-MIMO. It is only a dual band but gets the job done at about the same speeds for half the price. I spent a lot of money on the Netgear equipment and am replacing it all as soon as possible. The idea that Netgear did this,,,,,,,,has done nothing to fix the issue for so long,,,,,,,,,has done nothing for their products affected by this,,,,,,, is just leaving their customers hanging for months,,,,,, and costumer support is useless is disappointing at best. If Netgear gets it's sh*t together and does issue a firmware fix I will fix my R8000 and sell it asap. For those that care I am replacing every this with Linksys.
Message 1 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 Firmeware issues and disapointment.

@BonesDig wrote:
The Model section is not working, ( like other netgear issues). 

Of course it is ... 

R8000.PNG

Have read various issues on the R8000 with 1.0.4.18, but none that the 2.4 GHz WLAN is always inop. I would suggest you head to the Go to http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx -> Replace my defective product

Message 2 of 12
BonesDig
Guide

One. The Model section on reply works.....but doesn't work on the initial message request. Didn't on my end because if ti did I would have done it.

Two...I am out of warrinty as I said and replacemt isn't an option. BTW Im out just by a couple months.

Netgear tech wants me to purchase an extended warrinty and I feel I shouldn't have to because this is a Netgear firmware issue. I didn't break it......Netgear did.

Three...The 2.4ghz channel is dead in the way that It transmitts for about 30 sec to a min then is turned off internaly. There are several Netgear community posts about this issue. I believe there was a problem before the resent firware update with the same issue and the latesed update was to fix it. Not totaly sure on that but I do know the latesed update has done more damage than fix. I have 2.4ghz dropping off but I could get it working but still had to reset the router about 3 times a week.

Again.....I'm not looking for a fix......I'm getting the word out that Netgear costomer service is lacking in help......Tech is usless and I am in rout to just dumping my Netgear equipment.....all of it.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 12
IrvSp
Master

A lot of words, but not much detail here?

Called Support? How? Gearhead or somewhere else? Not sure where you are, but in the US I can not locate and OFFICIAL number for TRUE Netgear support. Yes, 3rd party, but not Netgear?

Do you see the 2.4Ghz LED on or off? What does it show when you open a Browser and connect to the router and open the WIFI page? Screen capture posted here would be nice (you can black out P/W).

A fix? I'm on V1.0.4.18_10.1.49 and my 2.4Ghz is working fine.

Are you within 1 year of purchase? Then you can used NG Support page to get a replacement router.

"I called the tech line.....no help I reset the router.....no help I reset to default settings.....no help and cost time."

So they did talk to you and gave you some suggestions?

"I called the tech line......they did the same attempts to fix as I did......no help. My warranty is up so the tech line wanted to sell me an extended warranty......I didn't break it why should I pay for them to tell me they can't fix it. Tech line suggested a new router because there isn't a fix a\t this time. I said why would I buy a new router because as soon as I plug it in it will want to download the new firmware and then I have a new broken router......tech didn't have an answer to that."

Did you call them back again? Did they connect and try what you did or walk you through doing it again?

If this WAS NG Support if what ever was tried didn't work AND you were within the 1 Year h/w warrant (might be more in other countries than US) they would RMA it and replace the router, not tell you to buy a new one?

Did the really say "there isn't a fix a\t this time"? That would mean they KNOW of this problem. If so why don't others have it? Is there other reasons this would be happening? Did they explain how this would happen? I'd like to know that so I don't fall into that trap if it exists?

By the way, you CAN stop AUTO UPDATE on the Router Advanced Router Update page.

You are assuming the firmware indeed did the damage? It could be other reasons, like a bad f/w d/l. Failed install? Did you try getting a new firmware d/l and install it?

Without firm details and probably some screenshots it is hard to understand why you have a problem and I do not, and I've not seem similar problem reports here either, at least not in very significant numbers one would expect with this type of problem. Wondering if you do have a hardware problem, electrical damage possibly or even some very heavy interference?

Message 4 of 12
BonesDig
Guide

So I had posted a great reply and the sight couldn't authenticate my page and lost everything when I posted.

Long story short. I have done everything I can, with Netgear support and we have both came to the conclusion my router is broken, the firmware update did it and Netgear is no help because I am out of warranty. I think it funny that just before the new gear comes out peoples routers start having issues. This isn't new, been happening for years now.

If anyone is interested in what I am replacing my large network with just ask.

Message 5 of 12
myersw
Master

Been down the Netgear crap firmware road. R8000 and R8000P in my case, now sold. Love my Ubiquiti Unifi setup. Just works. Good luck with whatever you choose.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 12
BonesDig
Guide

Thank man.

Going the Linksys AC3200 Dual-Band WiFi Gaming Router with Killer Prioritization Engine (WRT32X) rout. I allready have an extencive Network I built. Just have to upgrate to real equipment lol.

Message 7 of 12
myersw
Master

@BonesDig

I suspect you will be much happier with the Linksys from what I have read. Have read some good things about them.

I have a bad taste in my mouth with Linksys, but that is over their lack of support to the 3rd party developers for the WRT line of "open source ready" routers. They are open source ready, in that you can install 3rd party firmware they just forgot to give the developers proper support to build good firmware. Speaking from owning a WRT1900ACS V1 and WRT3200ACM, both sold now. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 8 of 12
BonesDig
Guide

There is that. Im not a developer so I should be ok on that end but I know enough to get me introuble lol. Hoping with the resurch I have done I can put together an "off the shelf" sort speek system the best I can.

Message 9 of 12
IDJerry
Aspirant

I just ran across your post after AGAIN having my R8000 simply refuse to perform.  I had sever issues about a month or so ago, reset my device back to an earlier firmware and cancelled automatic updates.  Tonight my router crashed thus making my 'smart' home features completely useless.  I despise this router, and I've lost my faith complely in Netgear.  Looking for a new manufacturer who can make a more reliable option.

Message 10 of 12
BonesDig
Guide

I'm so sorry. This was my experience also. My smart home like yours and most completely rely on this stupid device.The router has become the worst link in our home network systems.

I went with the Linksys Ac1900. It doesn't have the tri-band but has everything else for half the price. My father helped Cysco get started back in the day and Linksys was the **bleep**. Linksys was one of the original network systems and back in the day they were Awesome. I have had mine for 2 months now and have only had to reset the system because of a power outage in my area that took out the ISP. I have Comcast Unlimited Internet, 4 gamer kids with Ailen Ware machines, 4 other PC's, Lorex 16 IP cameras with 2 small PC's running a web based applicatio , 8 Phones, 6 Tablets, Nest, Philips Hue (with 32 devices), Ring and ring attached devices, 3 Smart TV's, XBox, PS3 and 4, Nintendo Wii, Wii U, Switch, Logitech Harmoney, 6 Dyson network connected filters, Brinks home security with 28 wireless devices, My network and cameras are on a Network connected UPS and can run for 30 min. .....etc

My network is huge, loaded and rocks. At any given moment I have 40+ devices on my network running simultaneously. My gamer's are hard wired and all see 300+ download 12 up. We are throttled at 12 through Comcast. My wireless Dell XPS 18 sees 200+ down, my devices that have mobile ability have a 2 sec delay from my phone. (That's Cell network connecting to my house.) I heavily rely on my network. I had to build it because Comcast couldn't fix a problem so I did. Totally rewired my house.

So far the router is working great. I am looking into upgrading all my Netgear equipment to Linksys in the near future. My cable modem is a TP-Link something. It is about 3 years old but is a 16channel down modem so not too bad. The TP-Link modems don't use the intel chip sets so no firmware issues that I have seen yet. One of my other problems was the dam Motorola Surfboard **bleep** with the firmware issues. Got rid of that crap hardware as soon as I learned of that problem.

Any ways.......lol.....touchy topic with me.....lol.....I just want my hardware to do what It was designed to do.........How f*uckin hard is that.....lol

Here are a couple of picks of my DIY Network lol.

Hang in there. There are options.
Message 11 of 12
IDJerry
Aspirant

I'll research what you suggested.  I in NO way have as much as you, the last teenager is gone from the nest, so it's just the wife, myself and Alexa! LOL  I researched the Nighthawk, and is why I opted to go with it.  Kinda of like my Samsung TV I bought.  Great picture, but doesn't function as promised, so many a workaround on that one.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E