Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 Firmware update attempted and now router will not work

Nighthawk X6 R8000 Firmware update attempted and now router will not work

I attempted to update the firmware on my router as the update was needed for me to connect to my newly installed broadband service at our new premises. The update strated in a normal fashion and I went through the steps as advised. However, towards the end, the update did not complete successfully and now my router will not function properly. It is not discoverable as a Wifi any longer. Only the power led light blinks (white colour). I have tried performing a factory reset by using a paperclip for the recommended 7 seconds. I am not sure what has happened and how it can be rectified. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

@NightHawk2019 wrote:

I attempted to update the firmware on my router as the update was needed for me to connect to my newly installed broadband service at our new premises. The update strated in a normal fashion and I went through the steps as advised. However, towards the end, the update did not complete successfully and now my router will not function properly. It is not discoverable as a Wifi any longer. Only the power led light blinks (white colour). I have tried performing a factory reset by using a paperclip for the recommended 7 seconds. I am not sure what has happened and how it can be rectified. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance.

Some of your post doesn't seem to make sense to me?

Starting with "needed for me to connect to my newly installed broadband service"? Huh? Why? Who said so?

Next, "I went through the steps as advised"? What steps and 'who' advised? Did you do it wirelessly or wired? If you needed to connect to the new ISP, how did get the firmware and apply it?

Then this, " It is not discoverable as a Wifi any longer."? Does that mean the router works as wired? If however the POWER LED is blinking it means "Blinking white. The firmware is corrupted" you shouldn't even be able to get to it wired. Yes, TFTP is what is needed.

I know NG says you can use wirless to update the router, but that can lead to exactly the problem you see, should ALWAYS be done wired from a PC is my feeling about this. TFTP will require a wired connection as well.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> [...] the power led light blinks (white colour). [...]

You may be a candidate for the TFTP recovery scheme.  See, for
example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096

Message 2 of 6
IrvSp
Master

@NightHawk2019 wrote:

Some of your post doesn't seem to make sense to me?

Starting with "needed for me to connect to my newly installed broadband service"? Huh? Why? Who said so?

Next, "I went through the steps as advised"? What steps and 'who' advised? Did you do it wirelessly or wired? If you needed to connect to the new ISP, how did get the firmware and apply it?

Then this, " It is not discoverable as a Wifi any longer."? Does that mean the router works as wired? If however the POWER LED is blinking it means "Blinking white. The firmware is corrupted" you shouldn't even be able to get to it wired. Yes, TFTP is what is needed.

I know NG says you can use wirless to update the router, but that can lead to exactly the problem you see, should ALWAYS be done wired from a PC is my feeling about this. TFTP will require a wired connection as well.

Message 3 of 6

Thanks Antinode.
Great recommendation. Sounds like exactly what I need. I tried doing this BUT one small issue. The only computer that I can can connect with my router with a cable is an Asus laptop 2012 model running windows 7. It won’t let me run the TFTP in the 64bit version. I’ve tried the 32 bit version of this program to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks
Message 4 of 6
antinode
Guru

> [...] It won't let me run the TFTP in the 64bit version. I've tried
> the 32 bit version of this program to no avail. [...]

"It"?  _Which_ "the TFTP"?  And what, exactly, does "It won't let me"
mean to you?  As usual, showing actual actions with their actual results
(commands, error messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than
vague descriptions or interpretations.

If you're trying to use one of the downloadable (GUI) TFTP client
programs which Netgear has recommended, then I'd try the built-in
Windows (command-line) TFTP client program, instead.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1533866#M87578

That works on my Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) system (winver.exe:

"Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)").

Message 5 of 6

Thanks Antinode. I managed to update the TFTP successfully. Had to purchase a USB to Ethernet adapter for my MacBook Pro to wire connect my modem to it. Thanks again!
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7