Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 R8000 - How to connect 2 routers via internet to allow communication between them?

Planetario
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 - How to connect 2 routers via internet to allow communication between them?

hi there, as i'm new to the forum, and i don't have much knowledge connecting 2 routers seamlessly via the internet, I'd like to ask for help. both routers are nighthawk x6 ac3200.

Here is the topology:

Office 1: 192.168.1.???, Office 2: 192.168.2.???. both offices geographically distant from one another. must be able to connect the routers between themselves and user from office 1 must be able to see devices and be able to print to any device located at ofice 2 and vice versa. the routers have static ip with the isp provider.

how do i achieve that? it may be simple or it may not, i have no idea. thanks for your help!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 - How to connect 2 routers via internet to allow communication between them?

In general not with two consumer routers like these.

You need two routers with true site-to-site VPN capability, like two Netgear BR200. There are just routers, no WiFi,  so at least two additional standalone wireless access points, like the WAX214 or WAX218 are required. If there should be more than one wireless access point are required, consider a Insight/cloud managed PoE switch and some WAC5xx or WAX6xx.  

Message 2 of 4
Planetario
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 - How to connect 2 routers via internet to allow communication between them?

ok, i see. the routers i have are consumer ones and they don't offer the correct service configuration. so, assuming your option, if i add a br200 to each office, i'll be able to create the vpn between them. can i use my existing routers as just wifi access point? of course i'd have to disable the dhcp from the ac3200s and get dhcp from the BRs to avoid dhcp problems. by using the existing routers i don't have to spend more money buying access points. what do you think?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

The R8000 has an official control to configure it as a Wireless Access Point - check the fine documentation, no experiments required. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7