Highlighted
Follower

Nighthawk X6 R8000 Looking for best settings for online gaming with PlayStation 4

Hi All,

I have Comcast/Xfinity for my Internet Service Provider.  The speeds I pay for are 120mbps down and 5mbps up.  I have Arris SB6183 modem and I recently purchased Nighthawk X6 (R8000).  I wish to setup and optimize my network the best I can for gaming or specifically console gaming.  I have a different router that I used prior to the purchase of the Nighthawk X6 (R8000).  With my new Nighthawk router I have not seen any benefits or gains from my previous router and I am hoping that is due to setup or something.  Any help and information will be greatly appreciated!

Thank You

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 14
Highlighted
Master

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 Looking for best settings for online gaming with PlayStation 4

Hi TheGaurdian1,

What is the issue with the router?

Are you not getting the 120Mbps and 5Mbps connection?

Are you having disconnection issue with the PS4?

Message 2 of 14
Highlighted
Master

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 Looking for best settings for online gaming with PlayStation 4

Hi TheGaurdian1,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if you need further assistance.

Message 3 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 Looking for best settings

I am having a similar issue and question. I pay Xfinity for 240 and using Speedtest on the router, see over 230 Mbps. But, back here, over WiFi, on my 2017 5K iMac, I still only see about 120 Mbps. I am connected to 5G and smartconnect. I used to get this same speed with an 8 year-old Airport Extreme. What can I do to get this puppy in the 200 Mbps range?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 14
Highlighted
Master

Hi Master8,

Disable smart connect and check the 5Ghz connection. What is the firmware version of the router?

Message 5 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

Firmware version: V1.0.3.46_1.1.32

Speedtest on router (Dynamic QoS test on router to Ookla): 235 Mbps

Wireless test before switching: 131 Mbps

Wireless after switching Smartconnect off: 165Mbps

Second time: 171 Mbps

Afterning Smartconnect back on: 161 Mbps

Second time: 163

*A disgruntled wifi user was also on my network during these tests, which may explain some of the variance. I have validated a similar limit when all other devices are disconnected.

The direct distance from iMac to Nighthawk is about 15 feet through wood floors in a stick and frame (wood) house. Though these speeds are pretty good, I'd expect to get closer to the router-testing speed. Is there something else I can do?

Thanks for your help!

Message 6 of 14
Highlighted
Master

Hi Master8,

Please update it to the latest one.

https://kb.netgear.com/000044717/R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-3-48

Message 7 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

Updated, but no change- still pulling 160 to 170 Mbps over wifi

Thanks,

Brian

Message 8 of 14
Highlighted
Master

Hi Master8,

Reset the router to factory default.

Message 9 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

That did the trick- I'm now consitently getting 238 to 240 Mbps on all my (5Ghz) wifi devices!

Thank you!

Message 10 of 14
Highlighted
Master

Hi Master8,

If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Message 11 of 14
Highlighted
Tutor

Master8, 

Just for the confirmation, Is SmartConnect enabled on the router?  I'm getting 50%of original internet speed after enabling SmartConnect on R8000. 

Message 12 of 14
Highlighted
Aspirant

In my case, Smartconnect is off.

Message 13 of 14
Highlighted
Tutor

Hopefully, Netgear team is reading this topic. The SmartConnect feature is useless as it does not work as advertised.  What's the use of the feature of you have to turn it off to get full utilization of the speed? 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements