Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 Makes me want to kill myself

analogknight
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 Makes me want to kill myself

Am I the only person that feels like killing myself for buying this router? I reset this thing 4 times a day to try and keep 3mbps out of my Fios 150mbps. This might be the only router worse than the one provided with my Fios service.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Latest firmware?

But from your description I'm not sure what the problem is.

Do you mean that the link between the modem and router is much slower than the link between the modem and the outside world?

If so,  things that people have tried to fix this issue with various devices:

• Ensure that the cable to the modem is up to the job
  • Check that you have the right settings for your ISP (especially MTU)
  • Turn off QoS
  • Turn off the Traffic Meter

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
LeoKratz2
Initiate

I almost feel sorry for you, except I bought four of them. Two in Michigan and two in indiana.

Message 2 of 6

Latest firmware?

But from your description I'm not sure what the problem is.

Do you mean that the link between the modem and router is much slower than the link between the modem and the outside world?

If so,  things that people have tried to fix this issue with various devices:

• Ensure that the cable to the modem is up to the job
  • Check that you have the right settings for your ISP (especially MTU)
  • Turn off QoS
  • Turn off the Traffic Meter

Message 3 of 6
analogknight
Aspirant

Sorry, in my frustration (and alcohol consumption) I should have mentioned those. 

This issue only affects Wifi. Speedtest from the router will show 153-160mbps bidirectional, which is what I expect. Wired devices will get the same result. Wireless devices will drop to as low as 1mbps. 

Settings are correct for Fios. Just turned off the Qos, and the traffic meter was already disabled. Will see if those affect the performance.

Message 4 of 6
Rican
Aspirant

I am about to return my Wi-Fi router extender, I have AT&T giga power I have the technician come in he says I am better off using my Netgear nighthawk rather than the one they provide me. So he turned off the WiFi to one they provided me off so I can Solely use the Night Hawk.   He says that I should be flying on the wireless when he is done.   When he set everything up he was right I was getting 345MB per second on my iPhone 7 Plus.   I had never seen speed like that on this phone before, I was excited.  Then all of a sudden I would barely get 10 mb.    He had to turn the AT&T provided gate way back on and disconnect my nighthawk I was a little embarrassed.   Just running off the gateway now I am seeing close to 300 MB per second I really want to give the Nighthawk another chance what could have gone wrong ?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 5 of 6

@Rican wrote:

...what could have gone wrong ?

Do you have neighbours with wifi?

Some people find that it helps to tell their own wifi to stick to one channel and not to keep changing frequency to cope with interference.

There is a manual for your device somewhere at the end of this link: 

>>>>> R8000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<<

See page 73.

This router has all sorts of wifi options. Have you played with those? For example, could it be that Smart Connect (page 72) is really dumb and is getting in the way? Try turning it off.

There's even a section on Wi-Fi Multimedia Quality of Service. Might be worth playing with that.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7