Highlighted
Star

Nighthawk X6 R8000 Random Reboot

Without an evident cause, my R8000 (like many posts I've seen) will reboot at random. My firmware is V1.0.4.46_10.1.63 and the behavior has existed prior to this firmware for about 6 months, only getting more frequent or at least more noticeable.

There are usually about 24 devices (wifi cameras, Ring doorbell, game consoles, phones, Echo's, etc.) The only unusual thing is the ongoing lack of support for by 4tb external USB 3.0 hard drive (which I have to unplug and re-plug in order to use it to perform a backup of other devices.)

I have not done the factory reset on the device under the current firmware, but I have done it in the past without success on the reboot problem. The log does not appear to be optimized for tracking down patterns either since it's not saving enough historical data for a sporadic issue.

I'm on the edge of dumping Netgear the next time I buy a router, which may be just around the corner. Buyer beware of this issue.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 Random Reboot

I have the same issue. I have 26 devices connected, some wired some not. My router was solid when I first got it but this issue is getting worse over time. I purchased it in April of 2017 and would go weeks or months without a reboot. Now it seems to happen 1-3 times a week and today it has done it at least twice now.

This is the same reason I switched from my V1 Linksys AC1900 router. I checked the logs and nothing, There is no reason for why it was rebooted.

Message 2 of 16
Highlighted
Tutor

My router never randomly rebooted. Yesterday I upgraded to latest V1.0.4.46_10.1.63 firmware and now it's rebooting 3 or 4 times a day. No rhyme or reason to it. Just POOF, reboot! How can I revert back to prior firmware?

Message 3 of 16
Highlighted
Master

Have a PC or MAC that you can connect via Ethernet? 

If so look at how to do a manual update. Go here to get the user manual and also the firmware. Put in the router model and you will be taken to the download site. There is a + sign on the firmware download. This will take you to old versions. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/

Firmware normally has a text file in it when you unzip the downloaded file explaining how to. If not read the manual.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 16
Highlighted
Tutor

Thank you Bill.

Next question: I have a backup (.cfg) file from a prior version, but I don't know what version that was. Is there a way to tell what firmware version was running during a particular backup? The .cfg file is encrypted with no legible text with Notepad.

Jim

Message 5 of 16
Highlighted
Master

Sort answer no. 

I, personally, argue against using a backup config file as Netgear seems to make sutle changes to the firmware that causes issues with config files. That should not happen with properly designed and emplimented firmware, but we are talking about Netgear who cannot fix year old issues. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 16
Highlighted
Star

Update: I've deployed a TP-Link A20 this week, and so far I'm pleased. Great range, my 4TB USB drive remains online consistently, and there have been no random reboot issues. I'll be deprecating the R8000 next week and posting it on Craigslist. I may join a recovering ex Nighthawk owner support group, albeit briefly.

Message 7 of 16
Aspirant

My router keeps rebooting no matter if I set this up as a router or if I use another router and set this up as an AP!  Help!!!  No more support.  But my problem is continous!   Whether watching movies, surfing, and whatever, one constant, reboots randomly every day!!!

Message 8 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Firmware Version
V1.0.4.46_10.1.63

IP Cams, Streaming Samsung TVs, USB HDD plugged in, random reboots no matter what every single day!!!  Help!

Message 9 of 16
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

You may want to take a look at your modems logs if the modem is disconnecting a lot it can cause the router to have issues. In your modems logs if you see a lot of T3 and T4 timeouts this could be an issue with your ISP and they would need to check your lines.

DarrenM

Message 10 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Would DCHP lease setting cause this?  Also, I don't see anything on the logs other than it is connecting at different times each day but no disconnecting message.

Message 11 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

BTW, when I say DHCP lease settings, I am talking about the internet provided router.  This R8000 is hardlined to one of the ethernet ports on the ISP provided router and is acting as an AP.  I tried to use this as a secondary router for my 1st floor but it was disconnecting so I tried the AP route, which still disconnects.   So am not sure what to do now.  The DCHP lease was set to 24 hours on the ISP router.

Does the DHCP cause disconnection?  or is that not the cause?

Message 12 of 16
Highlighted
Initiate

I have the same issue. The router was working solid for a couple months, while hooked to a Time Warner (Spectrum) modem.  A few days after I hooked it up to a Google fiber modem, I started experiencing random resets.  The ridiculously short log in the netgear makes it impossible to diagnose. According to the logs I've seen, Google fiber constantly times out.   I'd venture the R8000 may be resetting to attempt a new lease (just a hypothesis), and damn whatever other devices may be exchanging data intranetwork at the moment.

Netgear must be hiring minimum wage clowns out of south Asia to design their firmware now.  I had to teach their support techs a few things, as they are so undertrained, a highschool kid can do a better job nowadays. They have gotten extremely stingy with support too. They wanted me to contract-up to handle my In-Warranty case, so I gave 'em a big middle finger and started an RMA instead, just outta spite. They did send a new router (after I paid $16.00 to keep the old one for a week), and offered 0 warranty or support on it.  

I'll be selling the new unit and get an Rapture instead.

Not buying Netgear again.    

Message 13 of 16
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi,

I am new to this topic unfortunately as I did not want to be affected by this at all.

My router boots up randomly no matter what mesures I took. (install new firmware, factory reset, install old firmware, factory reset ...)

If I get it wright from your post you are suggesting that my router, R8000 AC3200, cannot handel lose of pachages due to my ISP?

So everytime I may have an isue with my ISP my router will reboot it self?

I am sorry but at this point I realy hope that I got this wrong otherwise this is unacceptable from a respectable router.

Please advice and assist.

Message 14 of 16
Highlighted
Initiate

As a greybeard forced into the computer age I ended up with a host of problems. I will never be a "nerd" ora "geek" and would be happy just to muddle through. Alas, that is not to be. I wish your reply had been a little more detailes as I will buy a new router as soon as I figure out which one is less problematic than my R8000. If you have the time/inclination please leave a suggestion for a better router. Thank you.

Message 15 of 16
Highlighted
Tutor

Greybeard, my Nighthawk R8000 continues to reboot itself randomly (about once every other week). Some people say it's an ISP problem... I don't know how, but maybe. I've also got an ASUS AC1900 in my shop that's been running non-stop for over a year now. When I'm either tired of the reboots of the R8000 or it finally dies, I'll probably switch to ASUS. Don't ask me for a side by side comparison... I'm ot a "geek" either. :-) I just know that the ASUS has been MUCH more reliable than my Netgear.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements