Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 R8000 Router speed is significantly slower than ISP

BFEHB
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 Router speed is significantly slower than ISP

So, my ISP provides a minimum 400 mbps wired internet speed. When my computer is connected directly to their modem I get around 475+ mbps however when I connect the router to their modem using the same ethernet cable I get around 150 mbps. I have two computers connected to the router via ethernet cables and they both get about the same speeds (testing separately, of course). I have researched the issue and have made sure my traffic meter is OFF.  I have updated to the latest firmware: V1.0.4.58_10.1.72. Dynamic QoS is enabled.

The ISP modem is a peer modem that is automatically set to bridge mode. Under LAN Setup I have the box checked to use the router as DHCP Server.

Any suggestions as to what I am missing would be welcome. Thank you in advance for your help.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
BFEHB
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 Router speed is significantly slower than ISP

I did some more research and for me it turned out to be an issue with the firmware. So, I downloaded a prior firmware (28), did a factory reset on the modem and viola the internet speed (via ethernet at least) matches the speed I was getting plugging into the modem directly.

So, I have turned off the automatic updates on the firmware. Thank you rinthos for the reply! 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
rinthos
Luminary

@BFEHB wrote:

So, my ISP provides a minimum 400 mbps wired internet speed. When my computer is connected directly to their modem I get around 475+ mbps however when I connect the router to their modem using the same ethernet cable I get around 150 mbps. I have two computers connected to the router via ethernet cables and they both get about the same speeds (testing separately, of course). I have researched the issue and have made sure my traffic meter is OFF.  I have updated to the latest firmware: V1.0.4.58_10.1.72. Dynamic QoS is enabled.

The ISP modem is a peer modem that is automatically set to bridge mode. Under LAN Setup I have the box checked to use the router as DHCP Server.

Any suggestions as to what I am missing would be welcome. Thank you in advance for your help.

From your notes..."Dynamic QoS is enabled."

Can you try Disabling Dynamic QoS, clicking Apply, wait til it finishes, and then try again? (Worst case, reboot your router after that).

If you Require Dynamic QoS, under it is a Speedtest option, try running the speedtest on the Router. What speeds does it show? 

Message 2 of 3
BFEHB
Aspirant

I did some more research and for me it turned out to be an issue with the firmware. So, I downloaded a prior firmware (28), did a factory reset on the modem and viola the internet speed (via ethernet at least) matches the speed I was getting plugging into the modem directly.

So, I have turned off the automatic updates on the firmware. Thank you rinthos for the reply! 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7