Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 R8000 Slow performance

bobalay
Star

Nighthawk X6 R8000 Slow performance

I recently started having terrible performance out of my r8000 w/ buffering, pages not loading, and slow internet speeds. I upgraded to the latest fw: V1.0.3.48_1.1.33 & reset the router to factory settings. I finally got everything back to normal, assigning which devices get highest & lowest bandwidth but the slow performance continues. On my 2016 MBP for example which is about 10ft from my router, I still get slow page loads where I see text and no images and speed tests getting around 100mb down 9mb up, my connection speed w/ out the router connected is 236mb down 12 mb up. I was getting around 229D/12U w/ the router but not lately. Nothing changed and no new devices added. I do have smart connect enabled on my 5ghz network, using WPA2-PSK [AES] & also have the 2ghz network enabled. I have 4 laptops, 4 cell phones, 2 tablets, a stereo receiver, an xbox one, a ps3, my security system NVR, and my Direct TV w/ 4 boxes. 2 laptops & xbox one are set to highest, 2 laptops are at high, the phones, NVR, tablets & DTV are at medium, the ps3 & receiver are set to low. I ran a wifi analysis app on my phone and it shows the channels my 5ghz are using aren't the best ones to use but I also can't change them for some reason. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
bobalay
Star

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 Slow performance

I did not have traffic metering enabled so that wasn't an issue, I went & disabled QOS. I then ran a speed test and got a lousy 0.78mbDn / 11.92mbUP, now I'm getting pissed, you can see how close I am to my router, there it is in the background. Then I remembered to reboot the router & got a sweet 235.63mbDn / 10.21mbUp. I ran a few tests w/ different browsers all getting over 225mbDn. I believe that was the issue it's much better now. Thanks for the help!!!

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 8.38.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-14 at 8.39.24 PM.png

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Your Internet service is almost fast enough that QoS starts to become more of a hindrance than a help.  That is because QoS can be a CPU intensive activity for the router, which doesn't have anywhere close to the CPU power of a computer.  

Try turning QoS off.  If you enabled traffic metering, then turn that off, too.  Both features disable hardware acceleration in the router.  You'll need to reboot the router after disabling these features.

Message 2 of 3
bobalay
Star

I did not have traffic metering enabled so that wasn't an issue, I went & disabled QOS. I then ran a speed test and got a lousy 0.78mbDn / 11.92mbUP, now I'm getting pissed, you can see how close I am to my router, there it is in the background. Then I remembered to reboot the router & got a sweet 235.63mbDn / 10.21mbUp. I ran a few tests w/ different browsers all getting over 225mbDn. I believe that was the issue it's much better now. Thanks for the help!!!

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 8.38.17 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-14 at 8.39.24 PM.png

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7