Nighthawk X6 R8000 USB HDD Problem

mjmj74
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 USB HDD Problem

Recently connected a USB 3.0 Seagate 1TB 2.5inch External HDD (formatted as NTFS) to the X6 R8000.  Problem is, the router keeps forgetting it's there. If I disconnect and reconnct the HDD a few times the router will see it again and it shows on the router dashboard as being attached.  Some time afterwards it will randomly lose it again and the dashboard shows no usb device. From reading the forums I can see this is a common problem.  Any fix available?

I'm runnnig FW V1.0.4.46_10.1.63

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 USB HDD Problem

Does the HD have a power source or is it just using the power from the usb port on the router?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
mjmj74
Aspirant

USB port. It isn't a powered hdd. Seagate external 2.5 hdd.
Message 3 of 6
mjmj74
Aspirant

This hdd Seagate STEA1000400 Expansion Portable External Portable Hard Drive + STZZ794 Product Card with Registration Code, 1TB, Black, 2019 Deluxe Edition https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TKFEEAS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_j7z3Db1Y01YYW
Message 4 of 6
IrvSp
Master

Portable hard drives connecting to either USB port is not always going to work. Some will work in one port and not the other. Problem is portables draw current to operate from the USB port. The router may not have enough power to supply enough, and in some cases what you are seeing happens as well.

If you got a desktop USB drive you probably wouldn't have the problem?

Other possibility would be the power supply to the router, if it is fluctuating it is possible it could be the cause.

Message 5 of 6
mjmj74
Aspirant

I have now hooked the HDD via a powered USB hub so time will tell if that fixes the issue.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E