Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 Very Slow

Rhaom
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 Very Slow

I have had a bit of a poke around the forums at other posts along the same lines of this query but they have not seemed to of solved my issue.

I have a Nighthawk X6 R8000 sitting infront of a Virgin Superhub 3, my ISP (Virgin Media) supplies me with a 100Mbps connection, however when I run a speed test using https://www.speedtest.net I get a maximum of 9.6Mbps when I am running through the Nighthawk, but when running directly through the Superhub I get up to 115Mbps.

As stated above, I have looked at other posts regarding this and as a result of those I have disabled QoS (even though this was the exact reason I bought the router in the first place!), Traffic meter is not turned on, WMM is enabled, I have changed my MTU from 1500 to 1400, smart connect is disabled. The router is running on firmware version 1.0.4.28_10.1.54.

If it is possible to solve this issue while having QoS enabled I would prefer that solution as I am a gamer and as I already said, the sole purpose for buying this router in the first place was to use QoS.

All of these settings have done nothing, when I connect to either the 5GHZ or 2.4GHZ by wifi or wired acrossed a set of Devolo dLAN 1200+ powerline plugs I achieve at most 9.6Mbps and sometimes lower.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 14
Rhaom
Aspirant

Bump!

Several more hours down the drain and still no improvement.

Message 2 of 14
SmallTrader
Apprentice

The QoS implementation on the R8000 is hit and miss from forums users. If you have reliable high speed Internet connection, more than 50 Mbps, QoS should not be an issue for home use. I disable QoS from Day 1on the R8000 and it is on the latest version of firmware. It is stable and that seems to be the experience for most people. If you stick to the basics then the R8000 is fine but fancy features like QoS and Circle often cause strange problems.

Have you tried disabling QoS and see if your apps, games still perform? IMHO, avoid QoS on the R8000 if you can. I know that somewhat defeat the purpose of buying a high end router ...

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 14
Rhaom
Aspirant

I do have QoS disabled, I was just saying I would prefer it on if there is a solution to this that allows it to be on, however even with it disabled I still only get a top speed of 9.6Mbps

Message 4 of 14

Greetings,

I have to concur with @SmallTrader regarding QoS.  Given your bandwidth, using or needing Q0S should not be required.  I know thats why you purchased the router, because of what Netgear said and what you were led to believe.

I went through something similar this week, but instead it was with an Arris Modem and Gigabit Internet.

Wireless is not the most treliable method for delivering internet.  Especially for gaming.  Power line isn't much better, but I suppose I would take it over wireless because theorhetically (at least) it should be faster, latency and speed considered.  

So you get full speed at your modem.  What downstream speed do you get with a device connected via wire at the Nighthawk?  If you aren't getting full speed there, this is where you need to start.

By now, you've probable figured out that Netgear's FW development and reliability isn't stellar.  Sadly it hasn't been for years.  A quick search does reveal quite a few complaints regarding 1.0.4.28 and the R8000.

Like my recent issue, you will need to do some troubleshooting to confirm what to do next.  Here's where I would start.

Reset your R8000 (1.0.4.28) to defaults.  Configure the Internet connection only and test wired speeds.  Does it match that when you connect to the SuperHub3 directly?

If yes, continue, if no it might be wise to try a different firmware revision.  I recommend flashing FW manually, from a device connected via ethernet.  Uing any other method, wireless, app, auto-check and update or auto-update is not reliable.  Believe it or not, how you upgrade can ultimately affect the experience you have post upgrade. 

Once you have stable wired performance at the router, move on to wireless.  Avoid SMART Connect, use 3 SSIDs, and manual channels for each broadcast depending on whats broadcasting around you (neighbors) and other factors such as building construction/materials. 

You can then move to connecting the power-line and testing with it.  Changes should be made individually, and tested.  This helps you isolate issues and makes it easier to troubleshoot performance related behavior.

I see there is a 1.0.4.38 - Hot Fix released, but it appears to be BETA.  Haven't seen any comments on it yet.  You'll need to do more testing however so you have a baseline for comparison.

Use the back up settings tool to facilitate a testing environment.  It allows you to test changes (multiple iterations) with the ability to go back to a known good starting point.  One thing to keep in mind.  Do not use a saved .cfg file to restore settings between different FW revisions.  They are not always universally compatible and can introduce undesired behavior.  Not saying it will, just be mindful of tis while testing. 

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 5 of 14
IrvSp
Master

I too would avoid the HOTFIX... see the README, https://kb.netgear.com/000061020/R8000-Firmware-Version-1-0-4-38-Hot-Fix. It ONLY mentions a SECURITY FIX... but in a Beta? If it is really a good fix and needed, it wouldn't be in a Beta. It was released on the 6/13 it seems based on the date.

I'd worry there are OTHER fixes for the numerous problems (small mostly, like the ACCESS CONTOL and ATTACHED DEVICE lists) that might have fixes included in the Beta. With NG's recent track record I'd avoid it until I see reports that it actually fixes things without REGRESSIONS.

Odd that I've never seen an announce on it either? Possibly e-mail sent to those reporting problems to try it?

Message 6 of 14
myersw
Master

I would guess no notification due to this being a beta firmware. Don't want the masses all crashing their routers because of an issue with the beta. Beta's are called beta for a reason and not normally provided to the masses in my experience. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 7 of 14
IrvSp
Master

@myersw. Beta's generally are NOT made public. They also usually are targeted towards specific problems when not made public. Public ones would surely be announced. I suspect it is there for easy access by some people who were notified how to get it? I'm not about to put it on, at least not until a PUBLIC announcement is made that there IS a Beta to test if one wishes AND details all the included fixes...

Message 8 of 14
tchjaffa
Aspirant

go back to previous firmware V1.0.4.12_10.1.46 that will set your router to working mode Netgear are famous for delivering bad firmware if there is a new firmware wait until you can read comments on forum

Message 9 of 14
Rhaom
Aspirant

Interestingly it may actually be the ethernet cable.

Using Cat 7 10Gbps for 600Mhz/s STP cable I get a maximum of 9Mbps, I changed cable to a gold plated Cat 6a cable and I hit 55Mbps, although this is still only 50% of the speed i should get, I will test out using an older firmware version Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 14
tchjaffa
Aspirant

Older firmware worked for me, its wort testing anyway. 

Message 11 of 14
IrvSp
Master

@Rhaom wrote:

Interestingly it may actually be the ethernet cable.

Using Cat 7 10Gbps for 600Mhz/s STP cable I get a maximum of 9Mbps, I changed cable to a gold plated Cat 6a cable and I hit 55Mbps, although this is still only 50% of the speed i should get, I will test out using an older firmware version Smiley Happy

Almost sounds like either a shielding problem or possible socket problem with poor/bent contacts?

Message 12 of 14
Rhaom
Aspirant

I think it might be a shielding issue also, the cable that does work is FTP and the one that doesn't in STP.

I've ordered a longer one of the Cat 6a FTP cable to test it out.
Message 13 of 14
IrvSp
Master

@Rhaom wrote:
I think it might be a shielding issue also, the cable that does work is FTP and the one that doesn't in STP.

I've ordered a longer one of the Cat 6a FTP cable to test it out.

Wait a minute, HOW LONG is that or any other cable?

You also said "All of these settings have done nothing, when I connect to either the 5GHZ or 2.4GHZ by wifi or wired acrossed a set of Devolo dLAN 1200+ powerline plugs I achieve at most 9.6Mbps and sometimes lower."

Power line? Is that part of the path?

First thing I'd do is connect with a 'reasonable length' cable directly to the Modem to measure, then another short cable to the router and a short cable to the PC and measure.

Wirless, how far away and what are the devices?

On the Router's QoS page, what does SPEED TEST show?

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements