Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 R8000 can't use a lot of the advanced settings

homeuser98
Tutor

Nighthawk X6 R8000 can't use a lot of the advanced settings

I've been trying to adjust a few settings on my modem but the ones i'm trying to change are greyed out and i'm unable to click on them and change anything. 

Some specifics: WAN setup, LAN setup, Dynamic QoS, Port Forwarding/ Port Triggering

These are all blocked off to my access and I do not know why. any help would be greatly appreciated

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 can't use a lot of the advanced settings

Access point mode is used when you've got another router running on the network. Many ISP supplied modems have an integrated router with them. Sometimes you can put the ISP combo device in modem only/passthrough mode and sometimes you can't. When you can't, you use access point mode. 

Or if you're using a mobile hotspot. many of them have routing functions and not properly operating passthrough functions. 

or if you have a different router running as primary on your network. Mine for example, uses an RAX200 as primary and my orbi setup runs in access point mode. I lose the routing functions of orbi but I mainly want it for wifi coverage. 

It prevents dhcp conflicts on your network. Its called double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

If its currently working, you've probably got a router or combo device running. What modem are you using? 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I have a feeling that your router is setup in access point mode? 

https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Message 2 of 5
homeuser98
Tutor

your right, it is in AP mode. how do i change that, and what exactly is access point mode?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Access point mode is used when you've got another router running on the network. Many ISP supplied modems have an integrated router with them. Sometimes you can put the ISP combo device in modem only/passthrough mode and sometimes you can't. When you can't, you use access point mode. 

Or if you're using a mobile hotspot. many of them have routing functions and not properly operating passthrough functions. 

or if you have a different router running as primary on your network. Mine for example, uses an RAX200 as primary and my orbi setup runs in access point mode. I lose the routing functions of orbi but I mainly want it for wifi coverage. 

It prevents dhcp conflicts on your network. Its called double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

If its currently working, you've probably got a router or combo device running. What modem are you using? 

Message 4 of 5
homeuser98
Tutor

it seems i'll be running in ap mode until im able to have fiber internet set up here. current isp connection comes through radio connections and has to relay through the isp router. we got the nighthawk x6 R8000 to route our connection and better distibute the bandwitch over the 8+ devices the family uses. thanks for the information

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7