Highlighted
Tutor

Nighthawk X6 R8000 connection to the EX8000 extender

Hi Guys,

I have Nighthawk X6 R8000 router which I'm trying to setup with a EX8000 extender.  The problem I'm getting is when I activate the "Smart Connect", which is the one reason I opted for this router, as it states below 

Enable Smart Connect - Let the router select the best WiFi band for your WiFi connection. With Smart...
One Wireless Network Name (SSID) for 2.4G and both 5G radios

When you select this option you have to re-attach the extender to the router and this is when I am hitting the problem.

If you have this option selected the router reports that it has failed to extend the 5GHz band...it does give you the option to try again or to just carry on....if you continue you will see that the router is only connected to the extender via the 2.4GHz channel and hense a lot slower transfer rate.  I have 350mb broadband and when using it in this mode I am lucky is I get 60mb when connected to the extender.  

If I configure it without this mode enabled it connects fine to both 5 and 2.4.  I have moved the Extender into the same room to make sure it wasn't a issue with distance.

Anyone experiencing the same issue or actually got this combination working correctly?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Regards

Pete

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 connection to the EX8000 extender

What firmware are you on? For both devices?

What channels are you on for the R8000? I believe the EX natively wants to use the wider 5ghz channel option for the backhaul. I'm not sure if thats the high or low band one. But that could be impacting it. 

You should be able to set that up. I have an EX8000 and was able to connect it to a RAX80, RAX200, and an orbi without that issue and the rax's were running smart connect and the orbi natively runs a version of smart connect. 

Start from stock. Make sure both devices are on the latest firmware, factory reset them both, and then install. 

I'd get the setup done for the R8000 with smart connect running.

Then hardwire into the EX and run the smart installation wizard instead of wps. 

Another thing you can try is turn off the smart connect temporarily. Choose the band that you're wanting the 5ghz backhaul to use and name that band the same ssid they system will have running smart connect. Attempt to do setup with the ex8000 connecting to that. Once its connection, you can turn smart connect back on using that ssid. The ex should still connect to it with the proper band. 

CAX80-> RBK53-> GS716v2-> TP-Link M9Plus
Message 2 of 11
Highlighted
Tutor

Hi Plemans,

Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

I have the latest firmware on both and even tried downgrading the firmware to see if this made any difference but no joy.

I have set it up successfully without the smart option being active and both channels work as expected but when you switch the smart option back on it breaks the 5 GHz connection to the router.  This maybe becuase when you activate the smart option it changes the SSID to all the same i.e Netgear73 and not the Netgear73-5ghz-1 and Netgear73-5ghz-2.

Anyother ideas would be great.

regards

Pete

Message 3 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

"the latest firmware" doesn't help. An actual number helps. Especially when it comes to the R8000 as "the latest" isnt' always the best.

I understand that it changes the names. 

what I'm suggesting if you're doing it manually is to set the high band 5ghz with the proper ssid name your going to use. like this:

smart connect off and set custom names

2.4ghz: netgear73-1

5ghz low band: netgear 73-2

5ghz high band: netgear73

then setup the EX8000 and connect it to the netgear 73.

Once its setup, reenable smart connect and rename the ssid name to the netgear 73. 

Did you try setup via wps? I usually recommend using the installation wizard but maybe wps is a better option. 

And what channels are you setting for the 5ghz bands? 

Message 4 of 11
Highlighted
Tutor

Hi Plemans

X6 R800 - V1.0.4.46_10.1.63

EX 8000 - V1.0.1.206

I like your idea of manually changing the SSID's might give that a go..

I used the wizard everytime not the WPS

Thank you

Pete

Message 5 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

Let me know how it goes. If it doesn't work, try changing the R8000 to version 1.0.4.28 of the firmware, reset-reinstall.
Reason I say that is the R8000 got netgear armor and not all devices played nicely with that firwmare version.
Message 6 of 11
Highlighted
Tutor

Hi Plemans,

Well good news!!

I renamed the following:

2.4ghz to Netgear73-1

5ghz (ch100) to Netgear73

5ghz (ch40) to Netgear73-3

enabled smart but renamed 2.4 to Netgear73

Then reran wizard on Extender and it connected on the 5ghz all using the 1 SSID.

Thanks for the suggestion

Regards

Pete

Message 7 of 11
Highlighted
Tutor

Now to find out if it lives up to the hype with regards to automatic band and access point movement...lol

Message 8 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

It's worked great for me. Not quite as good as my orbi which is why I went back but well enough that none of my family realized I was comparing the 2 systems.
Message 9 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Do you recommend the Orbi Mesh system over an R8000 Tri-ban router with an EX8000 extender? I'm not that techy and want the easier to set up - but get the most of the 1G BW I'm getting from Comcast.

Message 10 of 11
Highlighted
Guru

@UtahNole wrote:

Do you recommend the Orbi Mesh system over an R8000 Tri-ban router with an EX8000 extender? I'm not that techy and want the easier to set up - but get the most of the 1G BW I'm getting from Comcast.

I do and the reason why is that you can add satellites to the orbi setup as needed to expand coverage and it simple. Its a full mesh system versus the EX8000 is an extender mesh so there isn't anything controlling the system. Plus with the mesh extenders, they work great when they's only 1 of them. When you need or might need more than 1, its better to go full mesh. 

I've actually ran an RAX200 with a EX8000 and went back to my orbi RBK53 setup because it had better coverage and was more seamless for roaming. 

It didn't have the peak speed of the RAX but for the majority of what I do, I'm never hitting peak speeds anyway. Any device that is needing 800mbps instead of 300-400mbps is already hardwired in. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements