Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 dropping internet

Wifeofshrek
Tutor

Nighthawk X6 R8000 dropping internet

Good morning,

BACKGROUND - We have had this router and it has been outstanding for over 2 years - hasn't missed a beat. I have very little technical knowledge when it comes to these things, (just a mum with teens and Netflix :)) and I don't think I have ever done an update or anything like that.  (should I? - How do I?)

ISSUE - In the past few weeks, we loose internet.  If I turn off the Nighthawk and leave for a minute, turn it back on everything comes back online.  I have checked the NBN when this happens and all is fine.  Any suggestions or do I need a new router?

Thank you so much in advance for any help.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions

Greetings Australia,

1.0.4.18 is the latest FW available for your model.   It was released in May of this year.  When did it get upgraded?

I do not believe automatic update for this model was introduced until this FW version.  If the router has not been reset since this upgrade, I would start with that.  This will reset the router to defaults, keeping FW 1.0.4.18 installed.  You wlll need to rename your wireless broadcasts and enter your passwords again. 

Reset procedure

Advanced tab > Administration > Back Up Settings > [Erase] button    

Note: If you have any special settings, port forwarding, static IPs etc, you can copy these down before performing the reset.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 20

All Replies

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful.

Message 2 of 20
Wifeofshrek
Tutor

Thank you so much for replying Michael.

I googled how to find the firmware version and enter  http://192.168.100.1. from the netgear support page, but it couldn't load.  Internet was working at the time.  Any suggestions?  

In relation to the modem, we are (in Australia) on NBN and don't need/have a modem - or it is the modem?? - I just plug the nighthawk straight into the NBN box on my wall. 

I do have a little 'NetComm Wireless N600 Dual Bank WiFie modem/router with voice' coming out of the nighthawk for the phone line.  But the Nighthawk definately is plugged straight into the NBN on the wall.

I'm sorry to be so 'uninformed' ... if it is too hard to help, I can get someone out to check.   I just feel like I probably need to 'update' or something.  The frustrating thing is it works fine for most of the week, and then we can lose internet 3 times in 24 hours! 

Thanks again for your time.  I truly appreciate it.

Message 3 of 20
Wifeofshrek
Tutor

Oh wait!!  I logged in and found it.  

Firmware version is V1.0.4.18_10.1.49

(told you I have no knowledge of these things)

Message 4 of 20

Greetings Australia,

1.0.4.18 is the latest FW available for your model.   It was released in May of this year.  When did it get upgraded?

I do not believe automatic update for this model was introduced until this FW version.  If the router has not been reset since this upgrade, I would start with that.  This will reset the router to defaults, keeping FW 1.0.4.18 installed.  You wlll need to rename your wireless broadcasts and enter your passwords again. 

Reset procedure

Advanced tab > Administration > Back Up Settings > [Erase] button    

Note: If you have any special settings, port forwarding, static IPs etc, you can copy these down before performing the reset.

Message 5 of 20
Wifeofshrek
Tutor

Thanks for your help!  I have updated the router to the latest version as per your advice - thank you for your clear instructions 🙂

We are on holidays now for three weeks, so I won't be able to see if it has worked until we get back.  I will let you know.

I really do appreciate the help received here.  Fingers crossed that is all it was 🙂

Message 6 of 20

Greetings,

We didn't ask you to update your FW, we recommended that you reset the device to defaults to see if this resolves the intermittent disconnection behavior.  Maybe thats what you did?.  But all you need to do is reset, not reflash.  Big different between these two. 

Please follow up when you return from holiday.

Message 7 of 20
Wifeofshrek
Tutor

Hello everyone.

Just a heartfelt thank you.  Yes I did the reset as suggested and the problem seems to have been fixed. 

Sorry for the 'jargon' mishap.  Like I said initially - I'm clueless.  

Message 8 of 20
FeyRob
Aspirant

Dear Wifeofshrek,

I really hope that this 'solution' works for you ... also in the long term I mean.

(Not wanting to hack your post, but mine stays unanswered). I myself did everything that was suggested via community (changing channels, get the latest firmware, router reset, turning router on and off again, flash router firmware, etc etc etc. And ... it all seems to work in the beginning ... but after several weeks (even days) ... Wifi connection to the 2.4ghz or the second 5ghz radio channel starts failing again.

Only 1 solution left for me ... buy another decent router with proper aftermarket service Smiley Wink

Kind regards, Rob

Message 9 of 20
Wifeofshrek
Tutor

Well I'm going into my second month and it hasn't happened again so "fingers crossed"!  I'm sorry you didn't have the same outcome 😞

Message 10 of 20
ynysygwas
Tutor

Bought used three months ago and been a pain in the proverbial!

Running firmware version V1.0.4.18_10.1.49

DLNA media server on, readyshare on. 5tb usb 3 seagate external drive connected.

I was experiencing the same dropped connection problems, even after hard resets, backup/erase. However I did notice that at one point  I had no wireless (to laptop) or wired internet connection (to my smart tv) yet I was still able to access routerlogin.net (even though my laptop was showing the yellow no internet symbol). It seemed my laptop was connected to Netgear but not the internet.

I went through the Netgear online setup pages, didn't set up a new account but did enable data collection and auto firmware updates, the internet started working as normal. A few hours later internet on my laptopstopped again, seemed to happen when I turned my tv off but that could be a coincidence.

Got me wondering if it was Netgear's data collection or firmware checking that was causing the internet disconnects.

So I redid the reset, backup/erase. Went throught the routerlogin.net site again but this time did NOT allow data collection and firmware auto update.

So far two weeks have passed without a dropped connection.

I would suggest people try Advanced/Administration/Router update and uncheck Router analytics data collection and Auto firmware update to stop Netgear accessing the router. Remembering to save! I seem to recall seeing that one of the functions of the newer firmware was better auto update and data collection?

Message 11 of 20
IrvSp
Master

@ynysygwas wrote:

Bought used three months ago and been a pain in the proverbial!

DLNA media server on, readyshare on. 5tb usb 3 seagate external drive connected.

I was experiencing the same dropped connection problems, even after hard resets, backup/erase. However I did notice that at one point  I had no wireless (to laptop) or wired internet connection (to my smart tv) yet I was still able to access routerlogin.net (even though my laptop was showing the yellow no internet symbol). It seemed my laptop was connected to Netgear but not the internet.

There are a couple of things here to discuss.

First 'used' could mean anything? Was it purchased from a reliable site and listed as 'refurbished'? Was it an 'open-box' at a store? From a friend and did they have a problem with it? Did you RESET the router before connecting it up to ensure no settings from the old user were kept?

Secondly, the "yellow no internet symbol" means exactly that, you can't connect to the Internet but you STILL have LAN capability, hence you can connect to the router and other devices on the LAN.

About the disconnects, some questions:

Do you have SMART CONNECT enabled?

What SSID band is this happening on? One specific SSID or all?

Is it ONLY the Laptop or ALL devices?

Are you having loss of the Internet only or loss of everything?

I ask as those are basically all different problems. I've got no problems with Data Collection nor Auto Update, but I did turn off Auto Update, NG's firmware doesn't seem that robust lately and I'll wait for new f/w to be put out (R8000's was released again earlier this week) and check on reports about it before installing manually.

I did have wireless drops when I installed a new wireless (USB) adapter on my previously wired desktop. Once or twice a day my desktop would lose LAN connection which I could easily manually reconnect. Was bugging me as my wife's PC desktop also wireless didn't do that? It had to be on my PC, maybe an older driver was installed, maybe the W10 V1809 release problem (wife is on the same version). Finally found a pattern, and it had to do with taking the PC out of SLEEP. After installing the new device it seems to default in the Properties of the device to ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO TURN OFF TO SAVE POWER! Unchecked that and also when I checked the USB port (USB 3.0) it was in that too had that setting on. Both off now and I've not had a drop. Might want to investigate that.

As for Smart Connect, I didn't like NG's implementation. It didn't seem to do what it was supposed to do. Supposedly it was to manage both 5Ghz bands and depending on the speed of the device going to connect assign it the slow or fast 5Ghz band. I noticed on power up of devices they did not adhere to that always and seemed to randomly attach to a band. Suspect NG's implementation did more load leveling (not active but passive, that is it never moved a device once connected to the other band) where it tried to keep the load on bands even rather then have a device attach to the best band for it. Not a problem as I only have N and AC devices which can use either band, but it wasn't working as I'd like to have it, all AC's on 5-2 SSID and all N's on 5-1 SSID so I disabled Smart Connect and manually set the devices to connect to the band I wanted it to connect to.

Message 12 of 20
IrvSp
Master

@ynysygwas wrote:

Not many USB drives over 4TB's have been reported to be working? Even less on the USB 3.0 port...

Is it self-power with its own Power Supply or is it a 'Portable' drive which gets power from the USB port?

If it is portable, it could be drawing too much power when 'working' and that could be causing you problems. Might want to test with the drive disconnected to see if that also cures the problems?

Message 13 of 20
ynysygwas
Tutor

Interestingly a couple of hours after posting that my internet went off for a couple of minutes, then came back on! I was 'Whatsapping' a relative in the US at the time. Also I've just noticed there is a blue notice  "a router firmware upgrade is available", even though Auto Router firmware Update is disabled, so evidently Netgear are still keeping tabs on which firmware my router is running. If I was paranoid I'd be wondering whether some 'external power' was interfering with my online traffic! Perhaps I'd better make a foil hat.

Message 14 of 20
FeyRob
Aspirant

Fingers crossed for now, but ... it seems to work now. I decided to give the flash-the-original-netgear-firmware another go (Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r36070M (05/31/18).

There's 1 very important parameter to consider in there. Under the Wireless tab, there's an option to choose your country. (Regulatory Domain)  As I live in Belgium, I first chose that option. But, on my smartphone (Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge ... only the 2.4Ghz SSID could be seen ??? Very strange, where are my other 2 5GHZ radio channels ???). After searching the internet again, someone mentioned that choosing the country could be important because of sending stronger/weaker WIFI signals or other frequencies ????. Therefore, I chose EUROPE this time ... and that did it. All my SSID's are there again. So for me ... the correct parameter settings + changing to DDWRT did it. For now ... my netgear R8000 is fully up and running again.

Maybe this post could help someone, I hope so.

Kind regards

Message 15 of 20
ynysygwas
Tutor

It's a mains powered device which had worked on a previous NG R6250. I had tried the R8000 without usb drive and it still dropped internet connection.

Message 16 of 20
ynysygwas
Tutor

Hi

The problem had been happening on both 5ghz and 2.4ghz SSIDs and the wired connection to my Samsung tv.

My wife's laptop also lost connection at the same time as mine and  the SSIDs had vanished from the list in windows 'network connections available', usually to reappear after a few minutes without my doing anything other than put the laptop down.

I do have Smart Connect enabled and we are under the flightpath of transatlantic planes. I noticed once when trying to change the wifi channel that the channel selected was blocked due to radar being detected.

Probably jinxed myself by posting as within 2 hours the internet connection vanished again, for a couple of minutes! I was Whatsapping my son in the US when the texts stopped, via my mobile phone wifi. 

I feel a new reset and upgrade to the latest firmware coming on! I see a new version is available according to the Genie page. So NG still  know I'm on 'old' firmware even though the auto update and router analytics are disabled.

Message 17 of 20
IrvSp
Master

I don't see anything with the router 'calling home' and seeing a new f/w is available and telling you about it? If you have AUTO UPDATE off you might not expect it to I guess, but if you had it on, it might have installed it. The real question to ask NG is both WHY are you being told of a new update which means the router was checking (how often is not known) versions? Why if sharing Analytics was turned of as well as Auto Update is it connecting to NG?

Get a NETWORK ANALYSER (like FREE ACRYLIC (Windows)) and see what SSID Band Channel you are on. Could be congested or the same as the Radar or close to it. This might help you deterime the type of Radar and the band and channel they use, http://www.radartutorial.eu/07.waves/Waves%20and%20Frequency%20Ranges.en.html. Move the channel in WIRELESS SETTINGS as far away from the Radar channel as you can.

Also check the properties of the wireless device that under POWER SETTINGS it isn't set to turn off to save power.

Message 18 of 20

@ynysygwas wrote:

I feel a new reset and upgrade to the latest firmware coming on! I see a new version is available according to the Genie page. So NG still  know I'm on 'old' firmware even though the auto update and router analytics are disabled.

When you login to the browser interface for your Netgear hardware, it checks back with the update server to see if there is newer firmware than is already on your stuff. It does not rely on enabling auto update. That is there to do the update while you aren't looking, something that many people turn off as soon as possible. They prefer to have control over their own lives and hardware

The update server is not the most reliable way of finding the latest firmware, nor is it the safest way to install it.

Sometimes the support pages have newer firmware than the server offers.

The best way to check it to visit the support pages for the R8000.

>>>>> R8000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<<

When it comes to applying the firmware, many experienced users prefer to download the new version and to reinstall from that. This means that they are not at risk of a meltdown if their internet connection or wifi dies mid update.

Message 19 of 20
ynysygwas
Tutor

Thank you for clearing that up for me!

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements