Nighthawk X6 R8000 firmware upgrade bricked my router

Hitman29
Follower

Nighthawk X6 R8000 firmware upgrade bricked my router

My router is out of warranty.

logged into router, was made aware of new firmware upgrade to R8000-V1.0.4.52_10.1.67. i hit upgrade and router never came back online, could not login wired, nor wireless.  i tried the TFTP2.exe upgrade and of course it didn't work. Computer wired to router, set to Static Ip. could ping router and get response but it won't take the firmware. tried several times.

any ideas? 

kind of suspicious this happened shortly after the router was out of warranty. June 20, 2020.

never going to buy another Netgear product again. router has been such a hassle since i bought it. $400 CDN down the tubes. Dropping internet connection, turn in Qos and freezing while VPN into work. Upgraded internet to gigabite, only getting 200-300Mbs down thru router, direct to modem get 900-990Mbs. poor product. 

any help getting it back online would be great.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
antinode
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 firmware upgrade bricked my router

> [...] router never came back online, [...]

LED indicators?

> i tried the TFTP2.exe upgrade [...]

The TFTP recovery scheme is a multi-step procedure which offers
multiple opportunities for user input, hence user error.  By itself,
saying that you "tried" it doesn't say much.  Especially when using a
command-line program, copy+paste is your friend.

And, rather than some third-party TFTP client program, I'd use one of
the built-in command-line programs, too.  Better error messages when
things go wrong.  See, for example:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/x/x/m-p/1622096#M102004

Message 2 of 4

@Hitman29 wrote:

Dropping internet connection, turn in Qos and freezing while VPN into work. Upgraded internet to gigabite, only getting 200-300Mbs down thru router, direct to modem get 900-990Mbs. poor product. 

Did you try fixing those issues? They are regulars here and can often by repaired with a bit of effort and information about what is happening at your end.

For example, you have to be a bit odd to enable QoS on a Gb Internet connection. It is bound to slow you down. Then again, not sure that I follow that bit of that sentence.

Tackle those issues one at a time and you might get somewhere.

As to the "bricked" router, again your explanation is short on useful information.

There is more severe, recovery reset, that you could try:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If it works, you may be able to use the usual method to flash the firmware again.

Download the latest firmware for your device – or an older version if that is what you want – and read the Release Notes for how to install it.

If that fails, you are into TFTP country.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This also explains how to tell Windows to use TFTP on your PC.

This isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it, you could try a web search to find videos that guide you through the process.

The good news is that TFTP has rescued many a dead device. But it has to be done carefully and with due attention to detail.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 4
Olduser69
Aspirant

The latest QoS priority tables are from 2018 on the R8000. It's 2020. Apparently the factory settings believe that smart plugs are a high priority with these tables. I set up manually so that devices like TV have the highest priority and "other" devices like smart plugs are low so that streaming services get the most data. This router really can not handle 1gb data on LAN or WLAN. 300ish max on a good day since 2015. Theoretical speeds of 1.3gbps but that won't happen on this old unit. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E