Nighthawk X6 R8000 has No Internet with SURFboard SB6121 Modem

Demonic13
Initiate

Nighthawk X6 R8000 has No Internet with SURFboard SB6121 Modem

Hello all,

Just like the title says. Now, I have Comcast internet (25mbps). I am using a Motorola SURFboard SB6121 Modem. It was connected to my Asus Ac1900 T-Mobile router. I left T-Mobile so I have to return the router. I decided to pick up the Nighthawk X6 AC3200 R8000. 

I bought the Nighthawk used. I factory reset it. Everytime I connect the ethernet cable from the modem directly into the Nighthawk and wait 60 mins, the internet LED stays orange. I have used 4 different ethernet cables from gaming consols and other equipment. All possible resets to any and all devices have been proformed. I spent hours searching and following reset orders.

The strange thing is, if I connect the modems ethernet cable into the "asus router" and another ethernet cable from the asus ethernet #1 port into the nighthawk routers internet port, the nighthawks LED finally turns white and I can connect to the internet just fine. 

I can't keep the asus router and I do not want to keep two routers just to make the nighthawk work.

Are their only specific Modems Compatible with the Nighthawk X6? I made sure the asus and nighthawk were not on AP mode. I am at a loss. 

Do I buy a newer coax cable internet modem? Do I get a second cheaper router?

please help! 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 has No Internet with SURFboard SB6121 Modem

Did you follow this procedure? 

power off both devices and disconnect all wires from both of them (including coax)

connect coax to modem.

power it on. leave it for a couple minutes.

connect lan cable to wan port on router.

power on router. give it several minutes

try setup? 

you can also check ipv4/6 settings as well. 

Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 2 of 4
Demonic13
Initiate

I decided to try the method you provided.Thank you for that, however, I still had an orange LED on the nighthawk.

I did find a solution, What ended up working was upgrading the modem, I had to spend the extra cash to get a faster modem. I was thinking about the SB6141, SB6183 and the SB6190. The Target near me only had the SB6190 so I spent the $84. I am glad though because I didnt want to risk trying the other two models fearing they would not work either, from possibly providing slower readings.

My old Modem specs: SB6121 Speeds x 172 Mbps and 4 down & 4 upload Channels

First option specs: SB6141 Speeds x 343 Mbps 8 down & 4 upload Channels

Second option specs: SB6183 Speeds x 686 Mbps 16 down & 4 upload Channels

My new Modem Specs: SB6190 Speeds x 1.4 Gbps 32 down & 8 upload Channels

The Specs came from the Assis Surfboard Box. I don't know if the Specs even matter but the nighthawk x6 did not like my slower modem.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

either way I'm glad to hear you got it up and running!
Current Setup: CM2000-> RBK750-> GS716v2-> RAXE500-> Pi-hole->
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E