Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000: one 5G network suddenly becomes super slow

aresyeah
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000: one 5G network suddenly becomes super slow

Hi! 

Not sure if you guys have experience with this but thought I should give it a try.

I have two 5G networks enabled and let's call them network A and network B. Sometimes when I am using A, all of a sudden the speed become super slow. My normal speed is 200Mbps and sometimes it would suddenly drop to below 10Mbps. So I had to switch to network B which functions normally. The same thing also happens to network B when it becomes super slow but network A is fine. 

My 2.4G network seems to be working just fine. Also, when I don't experience sudden speed change, both network is working fine.

Any help would be great!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

@aresyeah, oh, you are on an R8000. On the QoS page might be what you want. On the bottom of that page is  a link, "Click here to see Bandwodth Utilization by Device and Application". Not sure I noticed that on the prior F/W, but it is on F/W V1.0.4.28_10.1.54.

You do have to enable QoS though and that might cause Internet Speed reduction.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

I'm thinking some device is coming on-line and causing this. A slower device can do that. Since it happens on both SSID's it is probably more than one, possibly a similar device or one device can be used on both SSID's.

QoS could be the culprit here to, do you have it enabled? Later firmware of the R8000 uses DYNAMIC QoS, so you can't set it for specfic devices, but it will handle the 'sharing' of the signal depending on use, say NETFLIX, which will get more 'speed' than other devices.

You might be able to figure out which device using either the MAP or ATTACHED DEVICES on Genie.

Message 2 of 9
aresyeah
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply sir! 

I don't have DYNAMIC QoS  enabled. 

Do you know any good software to check bandwidth usage for each device on the netrwork? 

Message 3 of 9
IrvSp
Master

@aresyeah wrote:

Do you know any good software to check bandwidth usage for each device on the netrwork? 

Well, some versions of s/w on some NG Routers will show you that info on the TRAFFIC METER and/or ACCESS CONTROL, I think the R9000 does that, not sure.

Short of that, I think most commercial grade routers will do that.  Some Server s/w can as well, but that wouldn't work for you and it requires a server the Internet connection is on usually.

You can Google 'netgear traffic meter' and see some threads on this.

Message 4 of 9
myersw
Master

My Ubiquiti Unifi setup will tell the bandwidth usage by device and also the amount of bandwidth used by each app on the device. That said this is a step up from the consumer grade router and wireless AP's. Takes more tech knowledge then most folks have on this forum I suspect as well. Consumer grade seems more focused on providing things like parental control which the Unifi does not provide. 

Message 5 of 9
aresyeah
Aspirant

Unfortunately, the traffic meter doesn't really tell me which device is using a lot of bandwidth, it just tells me how much data I consume by month.

Message 6 of 9
aresyeah
Aspirant

I am not using Ubiquiti Unifi but thanks anyway! 

Message 7 of 9
IrvSp
Master

@aresyeah, oh, you are on an R8000. On the QoS page might be what you want. On the bottom of that page is  a link, "Click here to see Bandwodth Utilization by Device and Application". Not sure I noticed that on the prior F/W, but it is on F/W V1.0.4.28_10.1.54.

You do have to enable QoS though and that might cause Internet Speed reduction.

Message 8 of 9
aresyeah
Aspirant

I found it!

I won't have it on in normal situations, just going to turn it on to check network usage.

Thanks for your help! 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7