Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 R8000 providing slow speeds

Fraser101
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 providing slow speeds

So I recently bought a Nighthawk X6 R8000 to improve my sky internet. after I followed the instructions and set it up I ran 6 speed tests where I averaged 15.39 download speed and 0.24 upload speed, this is better than what I had before but I don't think it is meeting what it should do and what it has been advertised to do and this is  the same wired and wireless. anyone able to help me here since I'm fairly new to this and I have been over fixes on youtube and other forums and none have worked so far. PLEASE HELP ME.

Proof of speedsProof of speeds

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Fraser101
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 providing slow speeds

okay yeah, was very confused my self but I just binged a lot of youtube videos and not I feel like I fixed the problem.

I ended turning off the sky routers wireless wifi so that only the new router would send the wifi out and the sky router would only provide it internet. I guess its in modem mode now then.

thank you for all your help so far, is there any recommended setting that would further improve the wifi or do you recommend I just leave the wifi along now. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

@Fraser101 wrote:

So I recently bought a Nighthawk X6 R8000 to improve my sky internet. after I followed the instructions and set it up I ran 6 speed tests where I averaged 15.39 download speed and 0.24 upload speed, this is better than what I had before but I don't think it is meeting what it should do and what it has been advertised to do and this is  the same wired and wireless. anyone able to help me here since I'm fairly new to this and I have been over fixes on youtube and other forums and none have worked so far. PLEASE HELP ME.

Proof of speedsProof of speeds

Can't see what you posted, needs to be approved by a Moderator and can take some time for that to happen.

"this is better than what I had before but I don't think it is meeting what it should do and what it has been advertised to do and this is the same wired and wireless"

What should it be?

What is 'advertised'?

Why do you think wired and wireless are the same and that is wrong? They should be different, but if your actual speed from the ISP is lower than the capabilities of a wired and wireless connection, they should be the same. Detail those devices, speed they are capabile of, and ISP provided speed.

" I have been over fixes on youtube and other forums and none have worked so far."

Enlighten us, just what did you 'fix' and what have you tried?

Message 2 of 12
Fraser101
Aspirant

1. I don't know exactly what it should be at but the box says 3.2Gbps and it clearly is not reaching anywhere near that.

2. I know that wired and wireless will have different speeds I meant that they both are still very low.

3. and as far as what I've tried, have turned off QoS, traffic meter and parental controls as well as done a factory reset. 

Message 3 of 12
IrvSp
Master

@Fraser101 wrote:

1. I don't know exactly what it should be at but the box says 3.2Gbps and it clearly is not reaching anywhere near that.

Yes it does, 3.2Gbps... Turn the box over and look at the back!

• WiFi Band 1, 2.4Ghz, UP to 600Mbps
  • WiFi Band 2, 5Ghz, UP to 1.3Gbps
  • WiFi Band 3, 5Ghz, UP to 1.3Gbps

Add them up, 3.2Gbps. Those by the way are LINK rates and NOT throughput rates. For instance my AC adapter only 'links' at 867Mbps even though it is rated as an AC1200 device. However my actual speed is set by my ISP service, 100Mbps..

So the real question is WHY do you think you should have that and what do you REALLY have?

Some reading might help you understand:

https://blog.eero.com/5-important-router-specs-explained/

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/your-router-isnt-as-fast-as-you-think-it-is-heres-why/

https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-the-actual-real-life-speed-of-wireless-374

@Fraser101 wrote:

2. I know that wired and wireless will have different speeds I meant that they both are still very low.

3. and as far as what I've tried, have turned off QoS, traffic meter and parental controls as well as done a factory reset. 

Define 'very low' to what you expect and why you expect that speed? 

What is the ISP contracted speed?

How are you measuring it?

What is the Hardware involved (makes and models).

Yes, Traffic Meter will cause slowdowns. QoS is probably not needed is ISP speed is 100Mbps or more. Parental Controls can slow it down. However what Security settings are you using? What SSID's are on what bands? What is your 'modem'? Are you getting better speed on one SSID or are all the same speed?

SPECIFIC information always helps.

Message 4 of 12
Fraser101
Aspirant

Okay, so I did not realize that and it's helpful to know, and I expect something like 25+ for download and something around 10+ for upload. and I currently have around 15 for download and 0.20 for upload. 

I say very low as in the speed is not meeting what I used to have for the upload, the download is higher than what it was but the upload speed is not.

At the moment my provider is Sky. ( I assume that's what ISP is ) 

I am using an internet speed test to measure it. this one I am using. https://www.speedtest.net/

I just have the Nighthawk X6 R8000 Router.

my security is on WPA2-PSK [AES] and I am unsure of my SSID's since I don't know how to check them.  I do have smart connect on if that matters.

I am not able to turn my sky router into Modem mode so to say, so I currently have it connected to the sky router and I am getting better speed on the 2.4GHz but not by much. 

Message 5 of 12
Fraser101
Aspirant

Ohh my bands are all default with 2.4GHz on 600Mbps, channel 11 and both the 5GHz ones on 1300Mbps with 1 on channel 44 and 1 on channel 100(DFS).

Message 6 of 12
IrvSp
Master

Answering the last 2 posts by you...

"I expect something like 25+ for download and something around 10+ for upload. and I currently have around 15 for download and 0.20 for upload. "

Meaningless unless you can state WHAT the ISP (SKY) delivers? Did you have those speeds before your connected the R8000? Again, without device details I have no idea if this is reasonable or not?

"I say very low as in the speed is not meeting what I used to have for the upload, the download is higher than what it was but the upload speed is not."

This is where it get 'interesting'? How did you have those before, especially on wireless? Who connected to what? Sky 'modem' means NOTHING to me. Obviously it had a router function if you connected to it wirelessly. That alone if still active can cause ALL SORTS of problems. That modem/Router should be put into BRIDGE mode so it only sends out the Internet signal to the R8000.

"I am unsure of my SSID's since I don't know how to check them.  I do have smart connect on if that matters."

With Smart Connect enabled the ROUTER determines what BAND (2.4 and 5Ghz) the device will connect to. It isn't that 'smart' and I turned it off. Mixed too many different devices on the 5Ghz bands which slowed some down. I suggest you turn it off and then one EACH devices, determine which SSID you want to connect to and do that.

"I am not able to turn my sky router into Modem mode so to say, so I currently have it connected to the sky router and I am getting better speed on the 2.4GHz but not by much. "

If what you say is true, then you have 2 routers running WHICH CAN cause problems and interference. If you do NOT have access to the modem/router to put it into Bridge mode, then contact the ISP and they can do it.

"and 1 on channel 100(DFS)."

I don't have that channel, but I'm in North America. You are in England I guess with Sky as the ISP. Not sure if you even need to be on the DFS channel? You should also have 149 and up on 5Ghz #2 which are non-DFS. If unsure, check with SKY to see if it is needed.

Message 7 of 12
Fraser101
Aspirant

Okay thank you for the modem tips and my internet speeds before I put the new router in where at 2.14 download and 0.35 upload ( I noticed that the upload was intact faster sorry ) and I tested from my computer for both tests and did one or two wireless test which o forgot the results but they where low.

As for putting my router into bridge mode. I’ve heard that that is against the sky terms of service and they do not allow it ( I am Unsure if this is true I will call to ask ).

Sky is meant to provide me with fibre broadband and the router for that is just there normal standard router, fibre is meant to provide around 36Mbs ( what there site says ).
Message 8 of 12
IrvSp
Master

Right now, you have me quite confused?

@Fraser101 wrote:
Okay thank you for the modem tips and my internet speeds before I put the new router in where at 2.14 download and 0.35 upload ( I noticed that the upload was intact faster sorry ) and I tested from my computer for both tests and did one or two wireless test which o forgot the results but they where low.

As for putting my router into bridge mode. I’ve heard that that is against the sky terms of service and they do not allow it ( I am Unsure if this is true I will call to ask ).

Sky is meant to provide me with fibre broadband and the router for that is just there normal standard router, fibre is meant to provide around 36Mbs ( what there site says ).

I have no idea what was the tested speed direct from the SKY 'modem' or even if it is modem only or modem/router?

" my internet speeds before I put the new router in where at 2.14 download and 0.35 upload"

Was this testing BOTH wired and wireless from the SKY whatever? If so, you WILL not get better speed out of ANY router. Routers can't make speed coming in faster. I'm not sure you understand that?

I just GOOGLED "sky modem bridge mode" and found a LOT of hits. Not only that, SKY has forums. See https://helpforum.sky.com/ and you might have better luck there getting help?

Sorry, but I can't be of more help.

Message 9 of 12
Fraser101
Aspirant

okay yeah, was very confused my self but I just binged a lot of youtube videos and not I feel like I fixed the problem.

I ended turning off the sky routers wireless wifi so that only the new router would send the wifi out and the sky router would only provide it internet. I guess its in modem mode now then.

thank you for all your help so far, is there any recommended setting that would further improve the wifi or do you recommend I just leave the wifi along now. 

Message 10 of 12
IrvSp
Master

Although I can now see the screen capture you posted, 'we' still don't know what exactly the SKY service is providing you? That and how close the router is matching that?

Are you just worried about wireless? You've never mentioned what the devices are nor the SSID on, or the speeds from the router AND from the SKY modem when in router mode and you connected to that?

Yes, the SKY should be in MODEM only mode, not wireless signal transmitting. That always removes the possibility of Double NAT and interference.

If you DO have a Windows device, get a program like Acrylic (https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-wifi-wireless-network-software-tools/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-f...) and on a wireless PC run it. It will show the individual bands and channels as well as the strength of the channels. On the left I posted a screenshot from my PC and Acrylic showing the 2.4Ghz networks. I've obscured my SSID names and the graph below shows 2 on channel 11, and mine, in RED, on channel 9. When you run it, check the surrounding SSID's your PC can see (all 3 SSID's as well and the 5Ghz tab will show both SSID's of yours) which is less used (or empty) or if they are all in use, the one with the lowest strength or number of SSID's on it. Move the WIRELESS settings to that band. Don't want to bother, no problem, just change them and test to see which is the best.

One final note, if your true ISP speeds are that low, TEST streaming with QoS on, at those low speeds it can help streaming but could make other uses of the Internet slower, especially if streaming at that time.

Message 11 of 12
Fraser101
Aspirant

I think I'm going to leave the bands alone since I still don't really understand it, I may look into it more in depth so I can understand it in the future but at the moment the wireless seems to be fine and fast enough at the moment but I will keep what you said in mind for when I understand what you said with more confidence.

I don't know if there's any way to make wired even faster and stronger since I do game a lot and really would like a very fast internet speed fo that, if there's any settings or ways to do that feel free to say please( just really try to simplify it, I'm really new to this stuff as I just started getting in to tech and that recently) .

Thanks again for your help 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7