Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 R8000 router installation trouble

Dayhiker4k
Tutor

Nighthawk X6 R8000 router installation trouble

Nighthawk X6 R8000 router installation trouble. I am installing for the first time. It looks like I can connect to the Internet (although these days who knows- am getting older- having age issues), but I get the following message from the NETGEAR Genie "NETGEAR router not found or not supported." Can anyone help? I cannot login to the Router, so I cannot check the Model Version or Firmware.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 router installation trouble

Ah, the "cannot connect" to router issue. That's a long running saga here.

If you cannot login to your router | Answer | NETGEAR Support

As I already suggested.

If your engineering skills are up to it, then use ipconfig to work out the IP address of your router and then plug that into your browser.

It is also worth looking at the instructions for assembling a network with a router and a modem. You have to start them in the right order. As Netgear says:

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

The Quick Start guide explains this.

You can read about firmware updates in the manual that I linked to. See page 133.

I did some work in Fortran years ago, punched cards and stuff, before I realised that I was never going to be a research scientist and moved into writing about it, and engineering.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11

All Replies

The R8000 is a router. So it has to connect to the Internet through a modem.

Plug the output from that into the INTERNET socket of your router.

The Quick Start guide explains how to set things up. Find it here:

>>>>> R8000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<<

Message 2 of 11
Dayhiker4k
Tutor

This is an edit of my earlier post. I can connect to the Internet, but the NETGEAR Genie App, Desktop version,  will not let me login using my browser. I use Windows 10 version 1607 64 bit. The firmware version is v1.0.3.4.

Message 3 of 11

@Dayhiker4k wrote:

.... the NETGEAR Genie App, Desktop version,  will not let me login using my browser.

Not sure what that means. Is the Genie app the Windows app? You don't need that to use the browser interface.

Do either these work?

http://www.routerlogin.com/

or

http://www.routerlogin.net

Did you find this?

The latest firmware is Version 1.0.3.36.

Firmware Version 1.0.3.36

Message 4 of 11
Dayhiker4k
Tutor

Hello Michael Kenwood,

I have trouble these days with a lot of things, but I do know how to connect the Netgear router to my Comcast cable modem (It's actually called a Wireless Gateway. I use it for phone service as well as Internet, but I plan to buy a regular modem in the near future.) I did major in electronics engineering in another life, but not computer hardware, or software engineering or Information Technology. (Unless you want to count programming very early Intel microprocessors and associated "chips", and BASIC, FORTRAN, PASCAL & C programming.)  I was a Test Engineer and all around troubleshooter. However, these days I couldn't troubleshoot anything due to a number of disabilities.

That is why I need some help with this router. I bought it at Best Buy on 8/9/2016, but just got around to trying to set it up less than a week ago. So...I cannot contact NETGEAR for support unless I want to pay for it. I bought an extended service plan through Best Buy/ Geek Squad. Maybe they can help me. It's working now, but I cannot access it through a browser to check out the settings and possibly change them. Something needs to be reset from the previous router setup. I found the IP Address by running Advanced IP Scanner Version 2.4, but when I went to that address with Google Chrome.

I hadn't planned to write a thesis, but hopefully I gave more helpful onformation. 

Message 5 of 11
Dayhiker4k
Tutor

Mr. Kenward,

Thank you for your help. I am not there yet, but I at least I can login to the router using the link you gave me, http://www.routerlogin.com/. However, it shows the Internet status as NOT CONNECTED  and the Advanced Tab is grayed out. The Firmware Version on my router is v1.0.3.4_1.1.2, so I will have to try and figure out how to update it. I don't think the main reason for my troubles is because the firmware is not up to date, but I definitely could be wrong. You must know a lot more than I do.

If you have any other suggestions, I am open to any suggestions. I will look at the other information you sent tomorrow.

Thank you and good night.

Message 6 of 11

Ah, the "cannot connect" to router issue. That's a long running saga here.

As I already suggested.

If your engineering skills are up to it, then use ipconfig to work out the IP address of your router and then plug that into your browser.

It is also worth looking at the instructions for assembling a network with a router and a modem. You have to start them in the right order. As Netgear says:

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

The Quick Start guide explains this.

You can read about firmware updates in the manual that I linked to. See page 133.

I did some work in Fortran years ago, punched cards and stuff, before I realised that I was never going to be a research scientist and moved into writing about it, and engineering.

Message 7 of 11
Dayhiker4k
Tutor

I am up & running!!! I updated the firmware and somehow I can access the router from Chrome (Magic and "A little help from my friends" at Netgear Community !!!). There is still work to do, including my understanding of how this works. 

Thanks so much for your help.

Message 8 of 11

@Dayhiker4k wrote:

I am up & running!!! I updated the firmware and somehow I can access the router from Chrome

Good news.

One possible explanation is that the firmware upgrade reset things, rebooted the router and then it followed the modem's instructions on what to do, such as assigning an IP address that you can access.

But that's just a theory.

Message 9 of 11
toddwaddison
Aspirant

Hello,

Worked for several hours last night trying to connect my router in new house.  I have always been able to basically plug and play these but after a long day of moving and dealing with this about ready to give up on this nighthawk.

I can connect directly from modem to the intenet.  Spent an hour on with spectrum and they said the router is not picking up the modum and hence do not have internet.  The wife if on me because the kids have home work.

Lastly there is a little red light on the router where it says internet everything seems to be lit up fine

Message 10 of 11

You have joined in on an old discussion so there's a chance that the official support team will be too busy following new stuff to find your message. It is usually better to start your own fresh discussion if you want their attention.

@toddwaddison wrote:

Lastly there is a little red light on the router where it says internet everything seems to be lit up fine

According to the manual (page 10)

>>>>> R8000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<<

when there is an Internet connection that light should be white on the R8000.

That page also has the Quick Start guide.

It is important to do things in the order described there.

Tell people what the modem is and you may get more advice.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7