Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 slow after Firmware update to 1.0.4.46

AnthonyL
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 slow after Firmware update to 1.0.4.46

Long story short, Firmware version 1.0.4.46 reduced throughput on my Netgear Router by half! Rolling back to 1.0.4.28_10.1.54 resolved the issue.

Long story.  I was experiencing slow internet connectivity on WiFi and cabled systems throughout my home network. I have a 600MBps connection with Xfinity. Wired devices were seeing less than 250MBps. One odd thing I noticed was while the speedtest was running, it was gradually showing slower and slower speeds. Test results went form 300MBps down to 34 MBps at times. Wonky, right?

My setup DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem >>> Nighthawk R8000 - Devices connected directly to the R8000 and a Linksys 8 port switch. All speedtests were coming in at less than haf of my allotted bandwidth. I started checking cables, and settings on the router, rebooted everything, etc.. Nothing was fixing it. Called Xfinity and they tested and reset the modem remotely and still no change. I realized my Pc that I was troubleshooting from was traversing the router. I disconnected everything and connected my PC directly to the cable modem and I was seeing the 600MBps throughput consistently. I tested the cabling and it was good. My router is in a different room than the Cable modem so I moved it to the cable modem and connected with brand new cables.Cable Modem >>> Router >>> PC. Still seeing slow speeds. I reset the Router, and still slow. I tried everything I could think of and then remembered the Router recently update the firmware to the latest version. I rolled back the Firmware code, reconfigured the Router settings, and my issues was immediately resolved. Moved the router back to its original location and connectivity config and it was still hitting 600MBps. I'm not sure what is going on but the new firmware had the NetGear Armor options. Could have been interferring. I have set autoupdates to OFF now to prevent these issues from being introduced.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
myersw
Master

@plemans wrote:

Hopefully they're working on a fix. 

Oh you wishful thinker. When was the last time Netgear released a firmware that actually fixed things? Not in the last year according to my experiences. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

I've read of several people having issues with the newest firmware on the R8000. Most have been resolved with the downgrade to a version getting rid of armor. Hopefully they're working on a fix. 

Message 2 of 9
myersw
Master

@plemans wrote:

Hopefully they're working on a fix. 

Oh you wishful thinker. When was the last time Netgear released a firmware that actually fixed things? Not in the last year according to my experiences. 

Message 3 of 9
AnthonyL
Aspirant

Are you kidding me? You're offering my solution back as a solution?? Not sure you have any clue what you are doing or you are just trying to get poster points. Well, unless you are a bot. Either you didn't read more than the first 3 lines or you have no business trying to moderate a solution. Shake my head/facepalm.
Message 4 of 9
AnthonyL
Aspirant

My last reply was not a reply to this message.
Message 5 of 9
DefD35
Initiate

Ugh. I am having the same slow issues. With the lastest firmware version my speed dropped about 700 mbps!!!! Ive done everything. possible, rebooted, reset, went through all settings, turned of disney circle, rolled back to a older firmware version, etc... and nothing works. It's very frustrating because it was working just fine until a few weeks ago ( No its not my ISP). I directly connected my PC from the internet coming into the house and I am getting 850-900 mbps and when I plugged it into my wifi router it drops to 250!!!! I can't even get support to help without paying them! REALLY?? Pay hundreds of dollars for their product and they don't standby it with free support. Problems like this cause people to use other products, which I will be doing if this problem doesn't straighten out.

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

@DefD35 wrote:

Ugh. I am having the same slow issues. With the lastest firmware version my speed dropped about 700 mbps!!!! Ive done everything. possible, rebooted, reset, went through all settings, turned of disney circle, rolled back to a older firmware version, etc... and nothing works. It's very frustrating because it was working just fine until a few weeks ago ( No its not my ISP). I directly connected my PC from the internet coming into the house and I am getting 850-900 mbps and when I plugged it into my wifi router it drops to 250!!!! I can't even get support to help without paying them! REALLY?? Pay hundreds of dollars for their product and they don't standby it with free support. Problems like this cause people to use other products, which I will be doing if this problem doesn't straighten out.

@DefD35 Everyone's situation is slighly unique. Please start your own thread so we can help troubleshoot your issue. 

Include:

Firmware on router.

modem.

device info you're testing with.

In terms of the support, it says on the box/website 90 days of free support. You can't expect a company to provide support for the lifetime of the device or there wouldn't be a profit margin. This is typical of networking companies and not unique to Netgear alone. The support is to get products installed and up and running. 

Message 7 of 9
DefD35
Initiate

Thank you for your help?/ response. I just find it frustrating that due to a "Firmware" update pushed out to our wifi  router and that very update messes up the functionality of the wifi router, we either have to be a technical wizard to figure it out or pay to have it corrected! Netgear should at the very least help fix the problem when their "firmware" update creates it.

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

The rollout of Armor has caused issues with several different routers that i've seen on here. 

Sadly they removed features to add Armor in and between the loss of features and the instability with routers, there's been some issues with members on here. Agreed its not an opimal solution but being the community forum, we see the ones who do have issues, not the onces that it works great for or who like the addition of armor in liue of the other features. 

And they are "helping fix the problem". but firmware updates take time and testing (hopefully more) to be valid. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7