Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 slow download speed only WIFI and VPN (AP MODE)

ZsoltiD
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 slow download speed only WIFI and VPN (AP MODE)

Hi all,

I have a Nighthawk X6 R8000.
Firmware version: V1.0.4.68_10.1.75

I'm working from home and I found that when I connected my laptop (and Cisco VPN connection was enabled on the laptop) to the Netgear via WIFI, then the download speed was very low. The upload speed was normal.
VPN_WIFI.JPG

If I connected my laptop ( and VPN connection was disabled on the laptop) to the Netgear via WIFI, then the download and upload speed were normal.
If I connected the laptop via Ethernet port, both of them were normal when the VPN was enabled or disabled.

VPN_ETHERNet.JPG
So the problem occured only in case of WIFI and VPN ON. (I tried 2.4 and 5GHz WIFI and WMM is switched OFF under QOS settings.)
My router is in AP mode (a lot of functions are not available under the menus). Unfortunatelly, the result was the same after factory reset too. 😞 

Do you have any idea? What can be the problem?

Br,
ZsoltiD

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

When you're using your vpn, all the data on that device has to go through the vpn. so if it (the vpn) doesn't have the speed/capability then the vpn will be the bottleneck.

Message 2 of 9
ZsoltiD
Aspirant

But I tried to connect it to my mobile hotspot (WIFI) as well and the result is that the download and upload speed are very well when the VPN is enabled. Not to mention that over Ethernet, the VPN works perfectly on the same router

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

have you checked with your vpn provider to see if there's any certain settings needed? 

Message 4 of 9
ZsoltiD
Aspirant

Not yet, but most of my colleagues (about 20-25 colleagues) are not competent in the settings of the routers, and they don't have this problem with the VPN which is the same as mine. They didn't set anything at home, and it is working perfectly there ... 
I didn't set anything on the wifi hotspot either, and yet it works, so I don't think it's a VPN problem, more likely a router or its setup issue.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

Or its an issue with the ISP.

modem+router works fine

modem+router+vpn=not working. 

If it happened without the vpn, maybe I could see the router

Message 6 of 9
ZsoltiD
Aspirant

I set up an older router (RT-N18U) on the same network. The result is the same as under Netgear router... :S
I wonder that what is the difference between connection ethernet and WIFI from VPN or from the ISP point of view.

How can it work well over ethernet while not good on WIFI? The local network is the same in each case. 

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

so if 2 routers are having the same issue then the only variables that are the same are your ISP and the VPN. 

Message 8 of 9
RobGar
Aspirant

The reporter is saying that speed while on VPN is fine while cabled to the router as well as wirelessly on a hotsopt.  Why are you saying it's the VPN or the ISP when only slow on Wifi with the two routers the person used? 

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7