Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 slow hardwired speeds

bobalay
Star

Nighthawk X6 R8000 slow hardwired speeds

I'm seeing tons of these R8000 slow hardwired speed posts some even solved but none mention if they achieved gigbit speeds after the so called solution. Some said they got around 450Mbps after "the solution", is that the best I can expect out of this router? The two solutions seem to be multiple factory resets until it takes and the other is setting the MTU to 1400. I have the same R8000 router connected to a Netgear CM1150V modem w/ Comcast's 1000Mbps/35Mbps internet tier, everything wired via Cat6 and I'm only getting 95Mbps/40Mbps when testing from my PC or laptop when hardwired. When connected directly to the modem, I get 950Mbps/40Mbps. Slow download speeds but the uploads are exactly what I'm paying for. The wireless speeds are also fine at around 550+Mbps. I did one factory rest so far and the speeds did not improve. Here are my specs...

My setup info...

Comcast 1000/35 speed tier

Netgear CM1150V modem

Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 router

Firmware: V1.0.4.28_10.1.54

PC Specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU

ASUSTeK MAXIMUS IX HERO Motherboard

BIOS Version 1301, 3/14/2018

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

Everthing is wired via CAT6 and my ethernet speed/duplex is set to auto negotiate. If I manually set it to 1Gbps full, I lose connection & it says there's no network connection.

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
bobalay
Star

I solved my issue but forgot about updating the status. So, I started off w/ everything wired CAT5 to a Gig switch, only getting 95Mbps DL speeds no matter what I did or what site I tested on. I completely ran all new CAT6 cable, CAT6 connectors, CAT6 wall jacks & even a brand new 8 port Netgear gig switch & still I was only getting 95Mbps DL / 40Mbps UL speeds. Even w/ CAT6 all around & a gig switch my Ethernet adapter link speed status was only hitting 100Mbps. I ordered 3 CAT7 cables and swapped the patch cables w/ the one from my PC to the wall jack, the cable modem to the router, & the router to the wall jack, which goes down to the gig switch and what do ya know, 1Gbps Ethernet link status and now I'm getting 980Mbps DL / 40Mbps UL speeds constantly. For now on everything gets wired CAT7.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 13

All Replies
bobalay
Star

Update...I've done about 9 factory resets and currently have the MTU set at 1500 instead of the default 1400. Speed tests remain the same under 100MB. My next troubleshooting step will be throwing this POS router in the trash.

Message 2 of 13
RichDewees
Apprentice

I've been struggling with this router for some time as well. I pay for 1 GIG Down/50 meg UP. On two PCs I'm getting random high speeds (usually after a router restart) to as low as 1/5 speed. I always wondered why routers seem to slow down over time. Is it that the electronic parts are designed to do just that or is it intentional just like when Apple was caught slowing down older iphones (hopeing you'll buy a NEW one). New sales $ vs. just worn out equipment. But, I always though most electronic items work or not....not somewhere in between.

Message 3 of 13
bobalay
Star

It's so fustrating, I spent $300 on this router when it first came out and now that the warranty ran out, I need help. They should stand by their products and help their customers or allow users to purchase tech support on a needed basis. I'm not spending $90 on their warranty just to solve one issue. Now I'm looking into getting another router but don't think I'm going w/ Netgear this time around, not after this. What wired speeds are you able to get w/ yours? When I had my Arris Surfboad 6190 docsis 3.0 modem w/ a slower 300Mbps tier I was able to hit 300-306Mbps w/ my router but since I upgraded to the Netgear CM1150V docsis modem, I can't get over 95mbps hardwired.

Message 4 of 13
eXistinZ
Aspirant

Similar issue here. I get doouble the speed I get going through directly wired through the modem that I can get going directly wired through the r8000.

I've tried two different brands of cable modems, note they do not route (so no double nat issues), they are modems only. Both had the same speeds in the ~200mbps range. So I feel the modem is ruled out.

The r8000 is on firmware version V1.0.4.46_10.1.63

Screenshot attached.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 13
bobalay
Star

I solved my issue but forgot about updating the status. So, I started off w/ everything wired CAT5 to a Gig switch, only getting 95Mbps DL speeds no matter what I did or what site I tested on. I completely ran all new CAT6 cable, CAT6 connectors, CAT6 wall jacks & even a brand new 8 port Netgear gig switch & still I was only getting 95Mbps DL / 40Mbps UL speeds. Even w/ CAT6 all around & a gig switch my Ethernet adapter link speed status was only hitting 100Mbps. I ordered 3 CAT7 cables and swapped the patch cables w/ the one from my PC to the wall jack, the cable modem to the router, & the router to the wall jack, which goes down to the gig switch and what do ya know, 1Gbps Ethernet link status and now I'm getting 980Mbps DL / 40Mbps UL speeds constantly. For now on everything gets wired CAT7.

Message 6 of 13
RichDewees
Apprentice

I have had Cat7A  cabling with $$$ Telegartner ethernet connectors (The only ones on the market that will properly fit the large diameter cable) long before I had slow internet issues with this router.  All my cables were tested with a wire tester.  The only way to solve my slow wired internet speed was to remove the R8000 from my system and replace it.  I now get 960 D / 53 U on a 1 GIG/50 service.  Bottom line, the R8000 WAS the issue....

Message 7 of 13
labatt
Mentor

No surprise that the cables were not the issue. Cat5e and up can all handle gig. 

Message 8 of 13
RichDewees
Apprentice

I can only assume, as any man-made device, it was still working, but was failing.  I have now learned (RE-LEARNED) a vauable "time" leasson. If something is giving you issues, work with it to see if it's something obvious, then throw it out!  Doing the reflash, restart, restore, restart, restart, restart, restart loop cycle is a WASTE of time and needless frustration.  

Message 9 of 13
TribesJunkie
Initiate

I think the problem is in the QoS settings.

When I manually change them to what my ISP is capable of (500 DL/ 50 UL)   they work

until I reboot the computer and then they default back to what the control panel had them

originally set at (approx 350 DL/ 50/UL).

Is it possible that the Netgear software/firmware is at fault?

I have not found any solution.Smiley Indifferent

Message 10 of 13
labatt
Mentor

You should not need QoS at the speed you are getting from the ISP. 

If QoS is on, turn it off. Some have reported having issues with getting QoS truned off once on, due to firmware issues and had to reset and start over. 

Message 11 of 13
TribesJunkie
Initiate

Yes to the reset!

Fixed the slow speed to the wired connection.

Will Netgear ever release a firmware version that gives access to it's nice features

that simultaneously will not slow connection speeds?!@!

Seems kind of pointless to have all those features if they almost halve your speed to the ethernet connection.

Smiley Frustrated

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 13
bobalay
Star

Even tho I got it working using CAT7 patch cables, I still plan on upgrading my router w/ in a month or so. I just don't get why I wasn't getting the speeds w/ CAT5e & then w/ Cat6 Plenum, I should've been getting the correct speeds from the get go. All my wiring and patch cords were also tested and passed which is why it was driving me crazy.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 32 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7