Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 R8000 slow speeds wired and wireless any device

mjohnson24
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 slow speeds wired and wireless any device

When i plug my computer into my cable modem then i get up to 300mbs down but when i plug into my routyer i only get maybe 30-40 down max. Have rolled back firmware to previous version and nothing. Enabled and sidabled QoS and still nothing. Reset back to factory and still nothing. Any ideas?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
mjohnson24
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 slow speeds wired and wireless any device

UPDATE:

I found the issue! It was my mistake and I completely forgot about what I did. I went from my cable modem to a UPS battery backup then to my netgear router. Problem is my UPS battery backup was only capable of slow speeds. Thats why. 

Thanks for the help and all! Appreciate it and your time. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. what firmware version are you on? 

2. what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

3. what device are you testing on? 

4. how are you testing speeds? wired? 2.4ghz? 5ghz?

5. what sites are you testing on?

Message 2 of 14
mjohnson24
Aspirant

1. The lastest version. Have tried the previous version as well. (1.0.4.76 and 1.0.4.74)

2. Comcast Cable Modem

3. Testing on my Desktop and laptop. Everything, cables and devices are GB rated.

4. Testing speeds wired. Again direct to modem i get up to 300mbs but going through router first its only like 30-40 maybe.

5. speediest.net and xfinity speedtest website as well and the speedtest button inside my routers admin management as well.

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

Do you have IPv6 enabled? 

After changing firmwares, did you factory reset? or just the once? 

After a factory reset, have you checked the speeds using all the default settings? 

Message 4 of 14
mjohnson24
Aspirant

so as far as reset i did it before anything. I havent tried the reset after changing firmware now with default settings but the only thing i changed after firmware was wireless nanes so its still technically default for everything else.

For IPv6, unless its on by default no but i havent checked to make sure.

But i actually did test speeds come to think about it after i changed to previous firmware. Thats one of the first things i did.

I know its something with my router cause it happens on any device
Message 5 of 14
mjohnson24
Aspirant

So no IPv6 is not enabled.

I initially reset to factory with latest firmware. Then i reloaded the same latest firmware and didnt work. I then reverted back to firmware version V1.0.4.74_10.1.80 and still did the same thing. I am in the process of reverting to factory with V1.0.4.74_10.1.80 to see if it does anything. 

I reset to factory with 1.0.4.74_10.1.80 and did a speed test with facotry settings and its 52.23mbs down and 12.02mbs up going through my nighthawk router to my cable modem.

Message 6 of 14
mjohnson24
Aspirant

here is a quick question. If my cable modem isn't in bridge mode and i have a netgear nighthawk router plugged into it, could that make a difference? Should i put my modem in bridge mode?

Message 7 of 14
mjohnson24
Aspirant

UPDATE:

I found the issue! It was my mistake and I completely forgot about what I did. I went from my cable modem to a UPS battery backup then to my netgear router. Problem is my UPS battery backup was only capable of slow speeds. Thats why. 

Thanks for the help and all! Appreciate it and your time. 

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 9 of 14
mjohnson24
Aspirant

oh i will thanks again!

Message 10 of 14
alexwqs
Aspirant

Glad to hear you got it resolved. You can disable automatic updates (I'd recommend it for the time being) and wait to see how the next updates comes. Yours isn't the only device having slowed speeds/issues since Armor was added. if you mark it as resolved, it'll help the next person with this issue

Message 11 of 14
mjohnson24
Aspirant

So It's a little confusing. I ended up buying  a new router.  A Netgear RAX48. Has Wifi6 etc. Even though my R8000 still works, i'm thinking of keeping the new one. But It started to work for a bit but then went back to slow speeds. Last night i finally fixed it... again... I think... I had QoS off, traffic meter off etc. Basiclaly all the stuff some others said fixed theirs and it wasn't working. Finally, I didn't put my cable modem in bridge mode, I just turned off the built-in wifi in it is all which is basically what bridge mode on my modem does plus a couple other things, but after that, I started getting the high speeds like im suppose to be getting. So we will see what this does. Yea armor helps with security and phishing attempts alot but I think that is some of the reason for spme peoples slow speeds.

Message 12 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

If the modem as a built in router and wifi, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

Option #1 should work for you. 

@mjohnson24 wrote:

So It's a little confusing. I ended up buying  a new router.  A Netgear RAX48. Has Wifi6 etc. Even though my R8000 still works, i'm thinking of keeping the new one. But It started to work for a bit but then went back to slow speeds. Last night i finally fixed it... again... I think... I had QoS off, traffic meter off etc. Basiclaly all the stuff some others said fixed theirs and it wasn't working. Finally, I didn't put my cable modem in bridge mode, I just turned off the built-in wifi in it is all which is basically what bridge mode on my modem does plus a couple other things, but after that, I started getting the high speeds like im suppose to be getting. So we will see what this does. Yea armor helps with security and phishing attempts alot but I think that is some of the reason for spme peoples slow speeds.

Message 13 of 14
mjohnson24
Aspirant

Ok cool Thanks. I will look into that this week. Right now i just have my modem's wifi turned off.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7