Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 R8000 slow wired speed

efiu
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 slow wired speed

Hi,

I really can't explain what is happening with this router (https://www.netgear.it/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/r8000.aspx).

With my ISP router i reach 980mbits download speed (wired), good.

With this router which is a, gigabit router, I cannot go over 260 mbits.

No QoS active, no monitoring, nothings.

How can the speed be so different??

Is my isp capping me if not using their device? Parameters for connection are all setted correctly and I have firmware version V1.0.4.68_10.1.75 .

Does anyone else have problem with this router model?

Thank you

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 slow wired speed

What modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Did you ever have qos, parental controls, access controls, or traffic monitoring enabled? 

If so, try a factory reset and reinstall. Make sure to leave those disabled during the reinstall

Message 2 of 10
efiu
Aspirant

It is connected directly to my ISP ONT which is working fine.

QoS is disabled, but i don't know the default, I'll try a factory reset just to be safe.

I read elsewhere that downgrading the firmware may work and downloaded an old firmware, is it enough to perform a manual update with an older firmware?

Message 3 of 10
efiu
Aspirant

Ok resetted and configured only WAN parameters, speedtest wired resulted in full speed ~928.

Then configured wifi networks, speed dropped again to ~120, how can this be?

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

Try it one step at a time. 

Speedtest after each change to find out what parameter exactly is causing it. 

Message 5 of 10
efiu
Aspirant

It seems not tied to settings, when one or two more device connects the speedtest drops significantly.

It resembles a QoS problem, but after reset I haven't activated it ...

Message 6 of 10
DragonRM
Aspirant

I'm having this same issue. When wired I get max around 170mobs to my Xbox. When wireless it's considerably faster and the router is getting close to 600mpbs on a 500mbps tier on Xfinity modem. No filtering on aside from open NAT connection setting on the router. After seeing posts dating back years it may be time to go back to another brand...

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

What ONT do you have?

Message 8 of 10
DragonRM
Aspirant

Managed to get it working with the latest firmware and completely resetting my gateway . After getting the open NAT setting to finally work after a few reboots it's all good. Got ipv4 working first and that was getting the full 600mpbs that the router was getting. When I got the ipv6 working it showed slower on the speed tests but actual sustained file download still pretty close if just a bit slower. Fully working fine wired on my tower and Xbox now. Can't say specifically what fixed it but was way harder than it should have been... was definitely on the router side since there was never an issue up to that point. All brand new cat6a.

Message 9 of 10
DragonRM
Aspirant

And this was with an xfinity x1. Probably about 6 months old to answer your question.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7