Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 suddenly blocking all access

IT4IT
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 R8000 suddenly blocking all access

It can be a go incidence but since I have a USB3 SSD connected to the USB3 port the connection gets lost after a while.

Sometimes a day but also after several hours.

Meaning I can not connect to the controlpanel, use wifi or connect to the readyShared USB drive.

I now disconnected the USB drive and testing how long the connection will stay alive.

Strange thing is the LAN connection stayes alive when nothing is working anymore.

They firmware installed is the latest version: V1.0.4.18_10.1.49

Please help me solving this strange annoying issue.

Kind regards,

Jan

(PS - nothing wierd in the log file)

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Does the SSD have its own power supply? If not, that could be the problem? That it works on USB 2.0 might be because it draws less power operating that way? I'd be pretty sure that drive isn't on the Compatibility list.

To ensure the hardware isn't a problem, I'd get a drive that is on the Compatibility list try that and see if it works. Also any cheap flashdrive that is USB 3.0 should work and you can try that.

Here is the LIST from Aug. 30th this year and it isn't very long of KNOWN TESTED drives. Not on the list (and not broken down by USB 2/3) then you might not have a 'case'.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
grumpa43
Apprentice

I had WiFi problems (mostly 2.4ghz) when I had my USB3 HDD plugged in to the R8000 - until - I purchased a 10 foot shielded USB3 cable and located the HDD as far from the R8000 as I could. WiFi problems stopped. Also, my experience is that you must remove any USB3 HDD if you re-boot or lose power on the R8000. The R8000 will not recognize the USB3 HDD if it is plugged in on start up. USB2 seems to not have that problem.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 8
IT4IT
Aspirant

That would be an absurd story when its true.

But for sure I will test it and let you know

regards,

Jan

Message 3 of 8
myersw
Master

@IT4IT wrote:

That would be an absurd story when its true.

But for sure I will test it and let you know

regards,

Jan

Unfortunately, the USB3 can cause wifi issues from radiation of signals going to the device. Reason for the shielded cable. Early in the USB3 implementation the fix was to not use the USB3 and some routers had a setting that slowed the USB3 to USB2 to fix issues. So while extreme in using a 10 foot cable I can believe it fixed his issue. 

Message 4 of 8
IrvSp
Master

@myersw wrote:

Unfortunately, the USB3 can cause wifi issues from radiation of signals going to the device. Reason for the shielded cable. Early in the USB3 implementation the fix was to not use the USB3 and some routers had a setting that slowed the USB3 to USB2 to fix issues. So while extreme in using a 10 foot cable I can believe it fixed his issue. 

It can't be EVERY router and EVERY USB 3.0 drive and EVERY cable.

Although I only have circumstantial evidence for this, it can't be true for all possible combinations of same.

You have a variety of routers with USB 3.0 ports, and many different firmware versions on each router and for each router. Assuming no filesystem or USB 3.0 support were changed on all these combinations of routers and firmware version is a stretch I'd say. There could be changes, some of which caused problems and were corrected.

I'd think the problem though would be more restricted and external to the router. That is because first of all most if not all drives come with the cable from the manufacturer. In addition their are d-shell or other 'odd' connector that is on my WD MyBook at one end, so a user is unlikely to use just 'any' cable.

I have from to to time moved both the WD MyBook 4TB External drive to my old R7000 and the R8000 I'm now using and never had a problem. I've even put in USB 3.0 Flashdrives in the router. If anything, those might be a bigger problem with the RAM being even closer to the router with less (if any) shielding.

While it is possible a faulty USB cable could be the cause, I would not think this is true for every 'good' cable. If it were, moving a drive to the left, right, or further back would solve the problem. Even wrapping the cable and/or drive with tin foil would work.

In addition a cable probably does nothing unless there is drive access. Unless the OP could confirm the router stopped working when the drive was being accessed I'd dismiss the drive/cable as the problem here.

As I re-read the OP's initial message these 2 statments do not seem to 'agree' when describing the symptom?

"Meaning I can not connect to the controlpanel, use wifi or connect to the readyShared USB drive."

and

"Strange thing is the LAN connection stayes alive when nothing is working anymore."

How could the OP know the LAN was connected if nothing is working?  Basing that on seeing an SSID?

Reading that differently, it seems OP meant the Drive disappears and when it does OP can not get to the drive or router, BUT all other aspects of the LAN works, i.e., use the internet or connect to other devices on the LAN?

To me, more proof the drive might be bad.

I had a USB 2.0 drive go bad on me and since the router doesn't have a way to tell me it had READ ERRORS if I didn't try to access the spot where those errors were it worked fine. However as the drive got 'worse' I was finding my R8000 doing strange things. I couldn't read the drive, but once disconnected and reconnected (or booting the router) it worked fine for a period. I then took the drive to my PC and ran CHKDSK. MANY errors were found. I attributed that to some power failures possibly and me not always using the SAFELY REMOVE DRIVE option sometimes. Matter of fact, when we're going away for periods of time I do just power off the router. So I let the PC correct the drive and put it. Days later, similar problems. OK, more drastic steps... back to the PC, copied off the data (some could NOT be copied, even after CHKDSK run) and the long extended format. When finished the drive was 2/3's the size it was with many bad sectors. Replaced the drive, restored old files, put it on the router and set up Readyshare again, no more problems. Mind you this happened during my first 3 months and opened a case # with NG. They got on my PC and saw the problem of trying to use the drive and as what appears to be SOP when they can't find or fix a problem with the router, they wanted to RMA and replace it. Last time I did that it A) didn't work any better, and B) I got a refurbished one.

If I were the OP, I'd try a NEW/Different drive.

Message 5 of 8
IT4IT
Aspirant

Amazing!!!

I just connected a new super professional USB3 shielded 10 foot cable and the Nighthawk crashed again.

Why does Netgear NOT solve this problem and why can I NOT log a issue request at their servicedesk?

90 days maximal technical support while in the Netherlands minimal 1 year support is mandatory.

However I connected the SSD to the USB2 port and yes 'the problem is solved'.

Yes  'solved' between qoutes because I paided a hugh amount of money for this router and it pops up with these kind of issues.

I recommend Netgear solves this problem asap and delivers a new firmware on the market.

Message 6 of 8
IrvSp
Master

Does the SSD have its own power supply? If not, that could be the problem? That it works on USB 2.0 might be because it draws less power operating that way? I'd be pretty sure that drive isn't on the Compatibility list.

To ensure the hardware isn't a problem, I'd get a drive that is on the Compatibility list try that and see if it works. Also any cheap flashdrive that is USB 3.0 should work and you can try that.

Here is the LIST from Aug. 30th this year and it isn't very long of KNOWN TESTED drives. Not on the list (and not broken down by USB 2/3) then you might not have a 'case'.

Message 7 of 8
IT4IT
Aspirant

Amazing!

My SSD is not in the mentioned list but I attached an external poweradapter to the SSD with the original short USB3.1 cable and all seems to work fine now.

A longer USB3 cable is NOT the solution considering now the lenght increases the cable resistance and the problem will just occur sooner. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7