Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 R8000 very slow wifi speeds

EricCooper
Tutor

Nighthawk X6 R8000 very slow wifi speeds

I just installed a brand new router.  The firmware version is V1.0.4.46_10.1.63. 

My Xfinity service is 600mbps and when I connect via ethernet to the cable modem I'm getting at or above this.

When I check the speed between the Nighthawk and the Netgear CM1200 cable modem, its averaging out at about 268mbps (using the test harness on the Nighthawk app).   So that's the first issue - why is it throttled so badly?

What's worse, though, is the wireless.  My 2.4 speed is averaging about 25-30mbps, the first 5G-1 is around 80-100mbps and the 5G-2 when I just tested it was a blazing 0.87mbps.

I've read other discussions that the solution is to downgrade the firmware, but those are mostly from last year.  Is that really what's needed here?  I spent a lot of money on this thing, thinking I was buying the best router on the market and its no better than a $30 router.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 R8000 very slow wifi speeds

here's what I'd try next. 

Install version 1.0.4.28 of the firmware. Factory reset and manually re-install 1 more time. 

If that doesn't fix it, I'd exchange it since its a new purchase. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Since its new and probably updated its own firmware (auto-update), I'd start with a factory reset and manually re-installing it first. Here's why. That router got the update to netgear armor. It was a significant change and some old settings can cause issues. A factory reset and manual re-install fixed alot of devices that had issues with that. Some did need to downgrade but not as many as you'd think from the forums. 

Another thing I'd recommend is to leave disabled: qos, access control, traffic monitoring, and parental controls.

you can also enable/disable IPv6

Another idea is to make sure not to enable link aggregation. The cm1200 has struggled with link aggregation for some reason.

Message 2 of 8
EricCooper
Tutor

Thanks. I'll give that a try this weekend so I don't kill the workday for my wife or myself today.

Message 3 of 8
EricCooper
Tutor

I just applied the latest firmware as suggested and it had little effect.  2.4G is showing around 30mbps and 5G-1 is showing about 180mbps.  In these tests I'm no more than 4 feet from the router.  And with the laptop hardwired to the router in order to apply the firmware, I ran a speed test and am getting only 80mbps.

When I log into the router and use the speed test there on the Dynamic QoS page, it shows 341mpbs.  No, I don't have QoS enabled, I just used the speed test there.

And none of the other features you mentioned are enabled either, though I do still have the Netgear Armor enabled.

I'm not sure what "Link Aggregation" is or how to set it.  I logged into the CM1200 and there's Port Aggregation on the admin page....if this is what you're referring to, then that is disabled.

Any other ideas? 

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

here's what I'd try next. 

Install version 1.0.4.28 of the firmware. Factory reset and manually re-install 1 more time. 

If that doesn't fix it, I'd exchange it since its a new purchase. 

Message 5 of 8
EricCooper
Tutor

Ok I applied v.28 of the firmware and that's helped immensely.  2.4G is now at 79mbps and 5G-1 is at 245.  Via Ethernet to the router is 450mpbs.

So, question.  Are those wireless speeds what I should expect out of this router?

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

@EricCooper wrote:

Ok I applied v.28 of the firmware and that's helped immensely.  2.4G is now at 79mbps and 5G-1 is at 245.  Via Ethernet to the router is 450mpbs.

So, question.  Are those wireless speeds what I should expect out of this router?

Potentially. Wireless is hard because so many different things impact its speed. From the device you're testing on (1x1 antenna vs 2x2 antenna, or even wireless chip in it), to the environment (house materials), to interference from other devices broadcasting. The 79mbps over 2.4ghz is pretty darned good. In my area, i'm lucky to get 30-40mbps average speed. I can peak around that 70-80 but thats about it. 

the 5ghz can potentially be faster but again a lot depends on those variables I mentioned. 

Message 7 of 8
EricCooper
Tutor

Ok great, thank you very much for your help on this.  Hopefully Netgear gets this type of input and fixes their firmware in the future.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7