Nighthawk X6 not broadcasting consistent WiFi, no issue for prior 14 months

Coach005
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 not broadcasting consistent WiFi, no issue for prior 14 months

Hello Netgear Community! 

I have been having a lot of trouble with my wifi in my home over the past two months.  This is bizarre, because the previous 12-14 months with this exact setup and configuration that I will describe yielded excellent performance. I'm hoping someone can help.

The problem:

- the WiFi network appears on devices (iphone, laptop, nest thermostat, nest doorbell, wireless security cams, PHin Pool monitor, wireless desktop printer, etc), however, when trying to connect it says wrong password, cannot connect, etc.  I've entered the correct password over and over again, and nothing happens.

- Unplugging the router and modem temporarily fixes the issue, but after several minutes to a couple hours the issue returns and we have no internet connectivity.

- currently 4 WiFI networks appear to be available (the 2 from the nighthawk and the 2 from the range extender), but none will allow connectivity for an extended period of time

Devices & Provider:

- Comcast Xfinity Triple Play (Internet 150Mbps, Cable, Home Security)

- Modem: Netgear Cable Modem CM600

- Router: Netgear Nighthawk X6 Triband 

- Xfinity Home Security Router (required according to Comcast Tech): Netgear Wireless N 150 Router WNR1000

- Switch: Netgear ProSafe Plus Switch JGS516PE

- Wireless Range Expander (for more coverage to backyard): Netgear AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender

The Setup:

Xfinity Coax cable to the Netgear Modem CM600

Ethernet Cable from Netgear CM600 to Netgear Nighthawk X6 Router

Ethernet Cable from Netgear X6 Router to Xfinity Home Security Netgear WNR1000 Router

Ethernet Cable from Netgear X^ Router to Netgear Switch

Devices connect to Netgear Switch: 

- sonos speakers

- Xfinity Cable boxes

I appreciate your help, please let me know if you need any more details or explanation.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: Nighthawk X6 not broadcasting consistent WiFi, no issue for prior 14 months

Sounds overly complicated.

CM600 - No FW needed

R8000P - What FW is this device running?

WNR1000 What FW is this running and how is it configured?

Netgear AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender - What device (model) is this and FW version?

What happens if you lose the cm600, put the "Comcastic" modem at the top of the food chain and the R8000P behind it?  Connect the switch to that.  Follow with the WNR100 and range extender.

If any of the upgradeable devices have updated their FW, either on their own or with your intervention, I would reset them and reconfigure from scratch.  If they gave me any trouble whatsoever, I would reflash them manually, reset again and reconfigure.

Great that you had something working for so long, but I have resrvation about the compatibiity and stability givien the mix of technology you are trying to use together.  I'm not saying it won't work, but I would try to remove anything I could to simplify the solution as much as possible.  If you can lose the comcastic modem for the CM600 instead, I'd do that too.        

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.68 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.84

Message 2 of 3
Coach005
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X6 not broadcasting consistent WiFi, no issue for prior 14 months

I'll check the FW on the devices when I get back.  However, I do not have a comcast modem, I opted not to pay the rental fees, and use my own.  That's why I bought the Netgear CM600.

The only FW update that I did on my own was for the Nighthawk R8000P,  I got several emails telling me to update the FW because of security threats.  I think I have updated the FW on the Nighthawk Router 3 times since I've had it.  Not sure if the other devices would update automatically or not.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E