Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6R8000 cannot figure out how to turn off wifi

john262
Guide

Nighthawk X6R8000 cannot figure out how to turn off wifi

I am trying to turn off the 5G band on my X6 router. I want to have only the 5G2 band on. When I go to the Netgear web interface I can only see how to disable the SSID, but not how to turn it off altogether. According to Netgeat documentation, there should be a button to turn the Wifi band off but I do not see it.  I would be thankful if someone can help.nighthawk.jpg

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

The "button" is the hardwired button on the router that you push and hold for 2 seconds. But it disables all the radios. 

You should be able to go to: ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings  in the router gui to enable/disable. Not sure if you can do only 1 of the 5ghz bands or if its both though. 

Is there a reason you want to disable one? 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The "button" is the hardwired button on the router that you push and hold for 2 seconds. But it disables all the radios. 

You should be able to go to: ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings  in the router gui to enable/disable. Not sure if you can do only 1 of the 5ghz bands or if its both though. 

Is there a reason you want to disable one? 

Message 2 of 5
john262
Guide

I want to disable one because I have two ISP's and two routers and my other router is on the 40 Mhz 5G band. I want my Netgear to only use 5G2.

When I open the Nighthawks's GUI I only see a button to disable SSID but I do not see a buttom to turn thre Wifi off completely. I tried to post a screenshot of the GUI but this forum won't let me for some reason.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Photos have to be approved by a moderator. Sometimes its quick, other times it takes a couple days. 

the screen you're on isn't the correct one. My described what to click on to get to the proper screen. 

good thing is, if you're not using the other band, it shouldn't cause any interference between the 2 devices. They're designed so if one's sending/recieving data, the other has to wait. But if its not sending/receiving anything, there's nothing for the other device to wait for. 

Message 4 of 5
john262
Guide

Thank you. I think I will leave it at that then. I read some bad information on another site apparently that said I should not be broadcasting two different signals on the same band. I appreciate your help. And yes I see that that screen shot finally posted.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7