Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6S AC3600 (model R7960P) account login error & firmware update issue to v1.4.1.68_1.3.28

Magoo-Nighthawk
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6S AC3600 (model R7960P) account login error & firmware update issue to v1.4.1.68_1.3.28

When I go to the website on my cell phone after resetting my password a couple of times which I didn't forget it finally brings me to the login page and I can get to the dashboard where I click on download firmware and install. It looks like it downloads and even restarts the router but then it goes back to the dashboard and everything is the same and it says there is a firmware update. I am trying to update from version v1.4.1.44 to v1.4.1.68_1.3.28. 

I tried logging in on my computer and it just keeps looping through the change your password screen and I get to the end where it says the next time that you login use your new password so I click login and it brings me to the reset your password page again. 

So finally I decided to download the app and the same thing happened like in the browser on my phone, it let me download it, it restarted and I when I check it still says the same firmware update is available. 

I know what I need to do and it seems like the issue is on netgears end but if I want more help other than them sending me a few troubleshooting articles I have to purhcase a contract which sounds crazy to me! I did all of the troubleshooting and I end did a factory reset with no luck. 

I am not even doing any gaming in my house I just get really bad signal with wifi and cellular so I trying to connect an LTE Network Extender to hopefully not drop calls and signals all over the house every night. I need to update the firmware so the extender can find a GPS signal which it currently can not find!  

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have wasted 5 hours trying to fix this issue already!

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6S AC3600 (model R7960P) account login error & firmware update issue to v1.4.1.68

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in for 10 seconds then let go. 

Then log in to 192.168.1.1 using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

Message 2 of 6
Magoo-Nighthawk
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X6S AC3600 (model R7960P) account login error & firmware update issue to v1.4.1.68

I realized that the login issue was a pop up blocker. I didn't actually forget any of my information.

I figured out how to manually download and unzip the firmware file and upload in the advanced settings and do the update but when I check the version I have still says it's the old one and not the one that I just updated to. This has to be a netgear issue with their firmware because I did all that I can on my end.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes others have reporting not being able to update the FW on the unit. I was able to update mine, however mine was in Wireless Bridge mode when I did it. Others have reporting seeing other issues with v68 so you might want to hold off on updating FW. 

Message 4 of 6
Magoo-Nighthawk
Aspirant

I wouldn't care about updating it at all but my network provider needs me to do it to hopefully fix the GPS signal so I can get better service.

I am hold with tech support from netgear to have them push the update. I love that we have to pay them to do that even though our device is working correctly. Hopefully if it doesn't work I can go back to an older version.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. 

I don't beleive FW would be effecting GPS or ISP services. 

Maybe something else going on between your devices and the ISP services. 

What brand and model modem is the router connected too? Be sure there modem and signals up to this modem is to spec and working well. 

@Magoo-Nighthawk wrote:

I wouldn't care about updating it at all but my network provider needs me to do it to hopefully fix the GPS signal so I can get better service.

I am hold with tech support from netgear to have them push the update. I love that we have to pay them to do that even though our device is working correctly. Hopefully if it doesn't work I can go back to an older version.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7