Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6S AC4000 R8000P-Lose internet connection every other day

ja95606
Guide

Nighthawk X6S AC4000 R8000P-Lose internet connection every other day

From November 16, 2017 until today (Jan. 19, 2018) my Netgear router, model R8000P Nighthawk X6S Tri-band has lose internet connection every other day. To get it back I have to unplug the router, plug it back, and restart the pc to get my wifi/internet back. This is very frustrating especially for my wife, due to she's in the medical field, and does a lot of her work at home. The latest firmware has been updated recently (V1.3.0.8) which was suggested by my ISP, but it still occurs. What else can be done to stop this internet lose every other day?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 71

Accepted Solutions
ja95606
Guide

Just an update on my lose internet connection isssues; as of Friday Jan 26, the Dlink router hasn't lost any connection at all. I've disabled the Dlink router, enabled the Netgear X6S R8000P router back in service, downgraded a previous version of the fimrware, and as of Friday afternoon (Jan 26) until the present Sunday Jan 28 at  12:30 AM, the Netgear hasn't lose connection either. The following gives instructions on how to download, the new firmware to your router.  Do not upgrade using a wireless connection. Go to Netgear Support page; sign in; click on Download; enter he Product name or model number; Next page, right side Firmware/software; click on the down arrow "v"; and look for firmware V1.1.4.6

This is the version that's working for my router right now,wihout losing internet connections. Aslo keep in mind, this is for the Netgear X6S AC4000 model R8000P router. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 71

All Replies
jikamens
Apprentice

This just started happening to me after upgrading the firmware in response to the security notification I received on January 18.

The upgrade brought me up to firmware version V1.3.0.8_1.2.1. In the four days since I've upgraded the firmware, I've had to power-cycle the router twice because my internet ground to a halt. Note that I power-cycled all other components of my network -- PC, switch, cable modem -- first, before power-cycling the router. None of that made a difference. It's clearly the router that is at fault.

There is clearly a bug in the new firmware version. Is Netgear aware of this? Are they working on a fix?

Message 2 of 71
ja95606
Guide

I've replaced the Netgear Nighthawk X6S AC4000 router with my old router (Dlink DIR-860L, Dual band) router, and believe it or not, I haven't had any problems (lose internet connections) since. It's been 4 days now without internet loses.

It's obvious that the lose is contributed to the Netgear router, and I believe it's in the firmware version. After a few more days, I'm going to try another test, and reconnect the Netgear router back up, and "download a downgrade version of the firmware to see what happens. This downgrade will be lower than the preinstalled version. We'll see!

Message 3 of 71
ja95606
Guide

Just an update on my lose internet connection isssues; as of Friday Jan 26, the Dlink router hasn't lost any connection at all. I've disabled the Dlink router, enabled the Netgear X6S R8000P router back in service, downgraded a previous version of the fimrware, and as of Friday afternoon (Jan 26) until the present Sunday Jan 28 at  12:30 AM, the Netgear hasn't lose connection either. The following gives instructions on how to download, the new firmware to your router.  Do not upgrade using a wireless connection. Go to Netgear Support page; sign in; click on Download; enter he Product name or model number; Next page, right side Firmware/software; click on the down arrow "v"; and look for firmware V1.1.4.6

This is the version that's working for my router right now,wihout losing internet connections. Aslo keep in mind, this is for the Netgear X6S AC4000 model R8000P router. 

Message 4 of 71
jikamens
Apprentice

I'm a little queasy about marking this issue "solved" when the workaround that solves it is to downgrade to an earlier firmware version -- which has known security holes in it that are fixed in the newer versions of the firmware.

Given that Netgear doesn't provide any ability whatsoever for end users to contact them without paying money for the privilege, there's no way for us users to report that the new firmware has a bug which is essentially making our routers unusable.

I would hope that there would be people from Netgear monitoring these forums and noticing these reports, but I'm not sure that's happening, and I'm worried that marking a forum posting "solved" will make it less likely that they'll notice it.

Am I mistaken. Is there some way I can report this bug to Netgear officially which doesn't require that I first pay them money for the privilege of being allowed to talk to them?

Message 5 of 71
ja95606
Guide

Yeah, originally I wrote to Netgear in Dec. 2017 to address this issue, and it's now Feb. 2018, and still haven't hard from them, but in the meantime, I did a little researching, and found the mentioned solution, and so far (knock on wood), it's working. I haven't lose internet connection now going on 3 weeks now. So it's working for me.

Message 6 of 71
esanborn11
Initiate

Wow.. so I just got my Nighthawk R8000p about 6 weeks ago and I too have been loosing Interet comnnectivity after a few days, reboot the router.. same thing a few days later - same problem you reported here.  So... am I to understand this correctly, you downgraded to a much older version of the firmware and now your Nighthawk is stable?  Seems from the firmware rev version it is quite an old version to downgrade to.  How did you know to do this?  Did anyone from Netgear help you?  Has anyone from Netgear told you that they plan to fix the issue with the latest firmware release?

Thanks,

Ed

Message 7 of 71
jikamens
Apprentice

How did you "write to Netgear in Dec. 2017" about this issue? As I mentioned before, I can't find any way to contact them that doesn't require first paying them money for a support contract.

Message 8 of 71
jikamens
Apprentice

I haven't seen anyone from Netgear acknowledge this problem or tell people how to recover from it. The way we knew to downgrade the firmware is, for me at least, that we knew that the problem showed up after a firmware upgrade so it made sense to try old firmware until one of them solved the problem.

If you just got your router then you're still entitled to free support from Netgear. Not that their support is particularly good, but perhaps you could take advantage of the fact that you're allowed to interact with their support team without paying them to ask them what their recommendation is about this problem and also mention that other people are experiencing it (might be a good idea to send them the URL of this forum posting)?

Message 9 of 71
esanborn11
Initiate

Excellent.  I wil definitely contact them and try to get them to understand the issue with their firmware and yes I will provide them a link to this thread!  

Thanks for the fast reponse by the way!

Ed

Message 10 of 71
ja95606
Guide

No! No one has ever contacted me regards this issue. The way I contacted Netgear was via social media (FB) messenger. After a few days, with no response, I started my research, and found a solution that has worked for me so far on my model R8000P.

Message 11 of 71
ja95606
Guide

Facebook messenger!

Message 12 of 71
eriahoy
Aspirant

This is too funny...  For my R8000P, I experience the dropping issue every hour on the hour.  Lasts for just a minute or two and occurs on all devices whether connected by wifi or wired. 

Current firmware is: 1.3.0.8

Router wants to update to: 1.3.0.10_1.2.2

This weekend I am going to upgrade the FW to 1.3.0.10_1.2.2 and monitor.  If that doesn't resolve, I am going to downgrade to 1.1.4.6_1.1.85 and then monitor.

Does anyone feel that I should take a different route?

Message 13 of 71
jikamens
Apprentice

wrote:

This is too funny...  For my R8000P, I experience the dropping issue every hour on the hour.  Lasts for just a minute or two and occurs on all devices whether connected by wifi or wired. 

That sounds like a different problem than the one other posters here are having. For us, after a day or two of operation network speed grinds to a halt and doesn't come back until we power-cycle our routers.

It probably won't hurt to try upgrading or downgrading the firmware, but my suspicion is that it isn't going to solve your problem.

Message 14 of 71
eriahoy
Aspirant

And you were correct...  problem is not solved.  Have a thought?

Message 15 of 71
jikamens
Apprentice

wrote:

And you were correct...  problem is not solved.  Have a thought?

This is a different problem, so start a new discussion about it or search the community to see if anyone else has encountered it.

Also, given your description, it sounds to me more like a problem with your ISP than with your WiFi router, though that's difficult to say for certain. You might want to contact your ISP and ask for their advice.

Message 16 of 71
ja95606
Guide

Well, the last time I upgraded was to the 1.3.0.8, it didn't resolved my issue of loosing internet connections. Again after researching I found what I believed for me was the prefect solution to my issues, and that was to downgrade to the FW  1.1.4.6_1.1.85.

It's been going on 4 weeks this monday coming, and I haven't had any lose of internet connections (Knock on wood)!

Message 17 of 71
jikamens
Apprentice

Just got this from Netgear on Facebook:

"Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Our engineering team is currently investigating this issue. The fix will likely be implemented in a future release. For more information on Firmware release notes please visit: http://bit.ly/2fg6vis and search/select your model number for the most recent firmware download."

So that's something!

Message 18 of 71
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

Please check the beta firmware found on the link below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Beta-Firmware-for-R8000P-only-if-you-have-th...

Message 19 of 71
jikamens
Apprentice

@JamesGLwrote:

Hi All,

Please check the beta firmware found on the link below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Beta-Firmware-for-R8000P-only-if-you-have-th...

I installed this beta firmware on Friday. I had to reboot my router this morning, Sunday.

In other words, nope, this new firmware does not seem to fix the problem.

Not impressed, Netgear. Not impressed.

Message 20 of 71
cdubleu
Initiate

Same problem.  Every firmware upgrade after R8000P-V1.1.4.6_1.1.85  (both of them) has caused this problem and I have yet to Netgear response to the issue, or am I missing something?

Message 21 of 71
cdubleu
Initiate

Problem continued with 1.3.0.10_1.2.2 upgrade for me, so I reverted back to the 1.1.4.6_1.1.85 'stable' version until I see an upgrade that doesn't 'break' the router.

Message 22 of 71
nabera
Tutor

I have this issue as well. I reset my router almost daily. I have actually set up a TP Link Smart Plug on a schedule to shut off power to the router twice a day for 1 minute. So annoying.

I have issues with all of my netgear products (Router, Modem, Arlo). It may be time to switch brands. Would love to see a fix for this though, I've only owned this router for a few months. Just been living with the issue.

Message 23 of 71
YungSynthlord
Aspirant

I spoke to Netgear and they are aware of the issue. They released a public article acknowledging the issue and gave a temporary solution which is to downgrade to the earlier firmware 1.1.4.6.

Here is their article https://kb.netgear.com/000056564/R8000P-Intermittent-WAN-and-WiFi-Disconnects-Issue

They told me the next firmware update will fix the issue once they have determined the cause.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 24 of 71
jikamens
Apprentice

Netgear has released a new beta firmware hot fix which they claim addresses this issue:

https://kb.netgear.com/000058267/R8000P-Firmware-Version-1-4-0-8-Hot-Fix

I have installed it and will report back if it fails like the previous firmware releases.

Message 25 of 71
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7