Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X6S AC4000 R8000P-Lose internet connection every other day

jikamens
Apprentice

It failed. I had to reboot my router again this morning. I've once again downgraded the firmware back to V1.1.4.6_1.1.85 so that it wouldn't hang every two days.

Way to go, Netgear.

Message 26 of 71
nabera
Tutor

This is a major failure and a total lack of customer obsession.

The funny thing is now that I have my router on a timer to restart each day I don't have the issue at all. Of course it would still be happening if I wasn't automatically restarting it each day. They should bundle this with a TP Link smart plug so at least people have something that works.

Anyways I can confirm this is my last Netgear product. I've even converted all my Arlo cameras to Wyzecam. Oh well.

Message 27 of 71
Blackops17
Aspirant

Solved? Are you joking?  That is not solved.  We spent good money on these and they simply dont work. What a waste of time energy and money. 

The insult to injury—you have to pay for support.  Hmm.  Build a unit that does not work then charge people when they fail.  Excellent business model.  Unreal.   

Message 28 of 71
YungSynthlord
Aspirant

The issue is not the device it was a bug in the firmware. They issued a statement with a temporary fix to downgrade the firmware until they released the update that patched the bug. Ever since I downgraded it has worked perfectly. Have not had to reboot it in weeks.
Message 29 of 71
Lisa808
Aspirant

I have been having the same problem but cannot reach their support and I am still supposed to be in the warrenty period. This is driving me crazy! Anyone have a number I can reach them??

Message 30 of 71
myersw
Master

@YungSynthlord wrote:
The issue is not the device it was a bug in the firmware. They issued a statement with a temporary fix to downgrade the firmware until they released the update that patched the bug. Ever since I downgraded it has worked perfectly. Have not had to reboot it in weeks.

Please include the version of firmware that is working for you. Stating I downgraded does not help others with similar issues. 

Message 31 of 71
Cinnamontear
Tutor

I have the latest update and it still drops everyday.
Message 32 of 71
metalfiiish
Guide

Have fun getting hacked to holy hell with all those security vulnerabilities in your ancient firmware. But hey, at least the $300 device you got isn't breaking every 2 days. Rusia will be glad to see their botnet device is stable 🙂

Message 33 of 71
cwmartin59
Tutor

I downloaded and installed Beta Firmware version R8000P_V1.4.1.23_1.2.20 released July 3rd.  It has been installed for almost 48 hours with no problems encountered to date.  I looked for my previous post, but I could not find it.  The link to the beta version was found in that thread, but the thread seems to have been cleaned out.

Message 34 of 71
cwmartin59
Tutor

Router locked up at just over 50 hrs.  I performed a reboot last night.  I had another lockup at 6:10 pm today.  I performed a reset and reflashed router to an older known good version - R8000P-V1.3.0.4_1.1.96.  This has been going on for several weeks.  Not sure I can return the item at this time.  Very disappointed in Netgear.  Seems many people who bought this router at approximately $300, are not getting their money's worth.  It would be appreciated if Netgear would provide more information on what they are doing to resolve this issue.  It is a hardware/firmware issue.  Probably will be the last Netgear equipment I will buy.  Additionally, I work for the government and I have input on procurement contracts.  I will not recommend any hardware from Netgear until they improve their customer support.

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 35 of 71
metalfiiish
Guide

Same here. Just blew up again. 11th times a charm I hope? I'd advise you hire some competent developers if you plan to charge this much for your product.

Message 36 of 71
Lisa808
Aspirant

I bought mine at Costco so I think I can still return it.  Still having to have to reboot almost daily. What should I get this time?  No Netgear!  

Message 37 of 71
myersw
Master

@Lisa808 wrote:

I bought mine at Costco so I think I can still return it.  Still having to have to reboot almost daily. What should I get this time?  No Netgear!  

I have had very good luck with Asus rt-ac86u and rock solid, only rebooted to update firmware running Merlin firmware. Only reason I am running a r7800, as shown in my sig, is to see differences and see how stable for me. Am running Voxel firmware on it and has been stable for me. My network is pretty vanilla though. No VPN or using USB as a NAS. Always figured a router was meant to route and should let a true NAS handle the NAS duties. Have found the r7800 to be slower in my simple iperf test of wireless and do like some of the client info you can get from the ac86u with the trendmicro addition. More comprehensive then what Netgear provides. So if I could only have one it would be the Asus rt-ac86u. 

Message 38 of 71
metalfiiish
Guide

I hear great things about Asus routers, though I have only ever used netgear devices prior. Though, I will not be in the future after this expensive fiasco.

Message 39 of 71
Cinnamontear
Tutor

So I installed Beta Firmware version R8000P_V1.4.1.23_1.2.20.   I how have to reset it more than twice a day now.   How hard can it be top make sure something works BEFORE releasing it or selling it to the public?  I am not happy! 🤨

Message 40 of 71
myersw
Master

@Cinnamontear wrote:

So I installed Beta Firmware version R8000P_V1.4.1.23_1.2.20.   I how have to reset it more than twice a day now.   How hard can it be top make sure something works BEFORE releasing it or selling it to the public?  I am not happy! 🤨

IHMO the r8000p is crap. Really the firmware is the issue as I think the hardware is excellent. Sold mine and it is on its way to its new home. If Netgear could ever get a good firmware this would be a great router, but not worth the wait and frustration.  

The r7800 with Voxel V1.0.2.53SF-KF runs well and the KF build fixes the device names not showing issues and no reboots needed. Maybe before you trash Netgear all together you could give it a try. Or go to Asus RT-AC86U. Runs really well with RMerlin firmware. Ran the ac86u for 44 days before a reboot and that was to upgrade firmware. Both of these are much better solutions then the r8000p again IMHO. 

Message 41 of 71
jikamens
Apprentice

Maybe before you trash Netgear all together you could give it a try.

Netgear deserves to be trashed altogether because of their terrible handling of this issue. They broke their firmware over eight months ago, they didn't realize it was broken before they shipped it, they haven't been able to fix it, and they haven't offered any acceptable solution for the people impacted by the issue. Why would anyone repeat the mistake of buying another product from a company that acts like this?

What they should have done, months ago, is the following:

1. Put out a new firmware release with the capability to easily capture proof that this issue is impacting a particular user of the router ("easily" compared to the convoluted debug-logs process they've asked people to use which is well beyond the abilities if most users).
  2. Offer to upgrade anyone who can present such proof to a newer, better Netgear router that is not suffering from this issue.

If they had done this months ago, I might be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and continue buying products from them in the future. Now, you can be sure I will never buy another Netgear product.

Message 42 of 71
YungSynthlord
Aspirant

I did I made a different post detailing that I spoke to customer service. You have to downgrade while hardwired to the device. I am running 1.1.4.6. I have not had to touch the router in weeks have had no drops no issues.
Message 43 of 71
metalfiiish
Guide

If you call that a fix, I guess. you do know that it is riddled with security vulnerabilities and youw ill likely be compromising your entire network? Do you like being part of Russia's botnet? Do you care if your personal information is stolen to commit fraud? If not then sure your good to go my dude.

Message 44 of 71
Cinnamontear
Tutor

I will never give netgear another dime of my money! This is ridiculous!
Message 45 of 71
turbocrow
Initiate

I spoke with support rep today concerning this issue. I was routed to the rep through the Costco concierge service. Of course they wanted me to pay for support, but I declined. The rep stated he would email KB and instructions for changing some settings to correct the problem, however after nearly 3 hours, I have not received the email. I’m pretty sure it was just a lie to get me off the phone. I mean, how long does it take to send an email? Netgear is clearly a company that does not care for its customers. I regret purchasing this router and you can bet the next one will not be a Netgear. I hope Karma comes down on these clowns.

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 46 of 71
myersw
Master

@turbocrow wrote:

I spoke with support rep today concerning this issue. I was routed to the rep through the Costco concierge service. Of course they wanted me to pay for support, but I declined. The rep stated he would email KB and instructions for changing some settings to correct the problem, however after nearly 3 hours, I have not received the email. I’m pretty sure it was just a lie to get me off the phone. I mean, how long does it take to send an email? Netgear is clearly a company that does not care for its customers. I regret purchasing this router and you can bet the next one will not be a Netgear. I hope Karma comes down on these clowns.

Since there are so many folks with this issue, I would hope that if they have settings to correct the problem they would share with a post. What a joke the Netgear support is. One reason why I no longer own a r8000p. 

I will admit that the r7800 with Voxel V1.0.2.53SF-KF runs well and the KF build fixes the device names issue. Hard to say which I would get rid of the Asus rt-ac86u or the Netgear r7800 as far as how they run. The Asus does have some interesting features regarding the individual clients and pie charts showing by application how much bandwidth was used. Am sure the is part of the licensed code Trendmicro provides Asus. Pretty neat actually and one of the reasons I prefer the ac86u, but if you look as smallnetbuilders compairison of the two (have to read the rt-ac86u review) the r7800 comes out ahead. 

Currently the r7800 has been up for 5+ days and expect that the uptime will continue. No Internet or wireless issues. Multiple streaming sessions at the same time.

Message 47 of 71
KNetTrouble
Aspirant

Its been less than a month of using this router and I am constantly getting disconnect almost everyday.  Have to reset the router to get it working again.  Is there any firmware update yet?

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 48 of 71
metalfiiish
Guide

Get in line. This issue has been around for over 8 months. Recommendations from everyone has been this:

If you are still with n the 3 month warranty go return the device for a refund and buy a different device.

If you are not within waranty you either reboot your device every 2-3 days OR downgrade to their advised stable verison of 1.1.4.6 which has security vulnerabilities.

You can also go for contacting support though they seem very unhelpful from everyone's accounts thus far. This thread, as well as many others have gone on for a long time with little-to-no response.

Message 49 of 71
KNetTrouble
Aspirant

Yeah I read about customer service and people having to waste hrs without any resolution and hence decided to ask it here instead.  Thanks for informing.  I will check on return period with bestbuy.  This is sort of supposed to be top of line sort of product and my previous netgear router was pretty good.  Anyway its frustrating..

Message 50 of 71
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7