Nighthawk X6S R8000P - SmartConnect Freezes WiFi

Dr_Zivago
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6S R8000P - SmartConnect Freezes WiFi

Bought the router a few weeks ago, and every time i check the SmartConnect feature on, it works for a while, and then freezes all access to my router wirelessly, no device can connect to the WiFi, and the router simply freezes. If i manually power the router off and on again, it gets stuck in a loop of trying to start up and rebooting once it's wifi led's kick off. 
The only way i can get the router working is by directly connecting to it via cable, and performing a reboot.
I've tried to get Smart Connect to work properly without freezing by fiddling around with different firmware versions, but the router freezes whenever i enable SmartConnect on each of them. Firware versions i've tried with:

Smart Connect (The ability to see only one SSID and let the router intelligently decide which device gets assigned to which band) was one of the main features why i decided to purchase this router, So it would be great if NetGear got a firmware release out there that finally deals with this issue, cuz i see a LOT of similar complaints of router freezing due to firmware... 
Or - if someone who's on the support team thinks that this isn't related to firmware - do you advise me to try and return the router? Anyone else seeing this? 

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
R9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X6S R8000P - SmartConnect Freezes WiFi

I have had the same router for the last 4 months or so but I don't have that problem. 

Did you try a factory reset? If no, I would definitely give it a shot. Upgrade to the latest FW version (1.3.0.10) and then do a factory reset. 

Are your security options the same for all the 3 bands?

Also, check your wireless settings under the advanced setup subtab and make sure that all the relevant checkboxes are checked, which are already checked by default, barring airtime fairness and MU-MIMO. You can enable MU-MIMO if you have MU-MIMO enabled clients and airtime fairness regardless of your client specs. 

Lastly, disable Dynamic QoS, traffic meter and see if it makes a difference. 

I am running the latest firmware and its running flawlessly. 

Good luck!

Message 2 of 4
Dr_Zivago
Aspirant

Upgraded firmware to latest(V1.3.0.10_1.2.2) and performed factory reset. 
All default checkboxes checked under the advanced setup subtab(Barring MU-MiMo and Airtime Fairness). Dynamic QoS was always turned off, as well as traffic meter being disabled. 

I am sitting at the above mentioned settings and firmware, and have not yet enabled SmartConnect (leaving 3 separate bands set up - see attachment), now however none of my wi fi capable devices can see the 2nd 5Gh band at all - i can propperly connect to the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz - 1 band, but neither my ac capable laptop, nor my Samsung S8 and Iphone X see the 2nd one at all...
Tried manually adding the 2nd 5ghz ssid to connect, but can't connect like that either. 
Just wondering now, i bought the router while i was in the US, but i am back in Southeastern Europe now, and i have it set here. Do you think the reason for all this weird problems might be that my router is locked in the North America region? 
Cuz if you notice on the attached screenshot - the 2nd 5ghz band says it's on Channel 0, when i have it set to the automated channel 149 in the Wireless Settings. 

Gonna leave it like this for a few days, without SmarConnect - and with only 1 of the two 5GHz bands operating properly, just to see if the freezing occurs. Then i'll proceed to set identical SSID and security settings on all 3 bands and set it in Smart Connect mode - see if i get the issues again. But this dissapearing 2nd 5GHz band is worrying me that i got a faulty device...

Message 3 of 4
R9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, then you are better off requesting an RMA. I bought my router in India and it is not locked to North America. Plenty of countries listed in the region selection dropdown menu, Europe being one of the them. I reckon there is one variant for US, which is locked and another unlocked variant for the rest of the world. Check with Netgear support, they will replace it if it is defective.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements