Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6S -- logging in is an infinite loop

BigSmiler
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6S -- logging in is an infinite loop

I recently learned I was the neighborhood joke because the "Pro" who set up my Router didn't turn on any security features. A neighbor girl visiting my daughter got the password and apparently my neighbors quit their ISP and have been using mine.

Netgear refused to help me do Anything because my unit is out of warranty. (big negative on ever buying Netgear again).  I'm NOT computer savvy but "explored" my way into Settings and I THINK I HAVE THAT PROBLEM SOLVED.

REAL PROBLEM began when I did the suggested update.  I logged in and it wanted a new password, which I set.  I then had the choice of Exit or Login.

When I Login, I'm sent back to that same REQUIREMENT to change password.  I found I CAN use the same one, BUT I STILL GET ONLY THE CHOICE OF EXIT OR LOGIN. ------- I CANNOT GET PAST THAT.  I've even tried rebooting.

I've searched this Community and found other people having this same problem at times.  Answer seems to be I have to do a "Factory Reset."  Are you kidding me?  Did I make this mistake? I don't think so. What did I do wrong Other Than get the Update?  What is a simpler way?

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6S -- logging in is an infinite loop

The only thing you did wrong was letting a "pro" set it up. 

Setting up a router is fairly  easy. And netgear has video guides and written up walk throughs. 

1. What gateway are you connecting it to? 

2. After managing to update the firmware, what version are you on? 

3. Have you tried logging in through a different browser or pc?

You can find guides, manuals, firmware, and troubleshooting here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r8000p

Message 2 of 3
BigSmiler
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X6S -- logging in is an infinite loop

Gateway??? ( used to be an awesome computer guru.  That was 1984. Everything Anyone learns about computers is obsolete in a few years, so I chose a different career.)

From my PC's Settings: Default gateway for WiFi: 192.168.1.1

Firmware VersionV1.4.1.64_1.3.25

Yes  &  SUCCESS     I had to use Microsoft Edge, but I still had to go thru the Reset Password stuff, which I did using my same old password I'd reset it to earlier today.

AND  I am now able to change the "Password (Network Key)" to keep neighbors off my router   ( I couldn't do that this morning )

SO I THINK YOU SOLVED MY PROBLEM.  THANK YOU!

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7