Nighthawk X8 AC5300 Gig Speed problems

lbtn
Aspirant

Nighthawk X8 AC5300 Gig Speed problems

I currently have Spectrum/Charter's Gig speeds along with their new modem. I believe it's 940/40. 

The modem connects into my Nighthawk X8 AC5300 which serves as the home wifi and the ethernet ports are also in use (IP cameras via network switch, main desktop)

With that said, currently my home desktop which is wired into the router only does 600 mbps max. Something like my iPhone X only does around 400 mbps on the 5GHz band.

So, upon installation the Spectrum tech tested their modem and it was pushing out 985 mbps, however, once connected to my router, all the ethernet ports would fluctate between 500-600 mbps max, no matter what.

He even disconnected all my devices from my router and ONLY attached his company given device that tests speed, directly into the nighthawk via ethernet and again, still it was consistently 500-600 mbps despite their modem consistently reading 985 mbps.

But even connecting all my devices again, the speed remained practically the same.

Any ideas what in the router could be causing this drop in speed?

Firmware V1.0.2.128 

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
DCPS
Initiate

Re: Nighthawk X8 AC5300 Gig Speed problems

Right after I completed the firmware updated V1.0.2.128 on my Nighthawk X8 Ac5300, we loss totally the wired connection. The wifi connection became very unstable. Now I cannot even used any of my wired connection for all my items (DVR, AVR, TV, Security Camera, and light based, and door lock based)

Was it a very bad choice of having this Nighthawk X8 Ac5300 product?

Should I keep continue to purchase any netgear WIFI router?

Is it the end of using this Nighthawk X8 Ac5300 router?

How can Netgear help us with this issues?

Thank you,

Model: R6700v2|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router,R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 2 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Did you try to roll back the firmware and see if those connections started working again?

DarrenM

Message 3 of 5
lbtn
Aspirant

What in the world does this have to do with my original issue, being the reason for this topic in the first place...

Message 4 of 5
DCPS
Initiate

Thank you for your prompt,  I reset the router. However, I am getting less speed on my internet. I do also have Specturm/Charter 400/20 Mbps. I used to get speed of 458/26 Mbps as avergage wifi speed. Now after the that firmware upgrade , I am getting 90/22 Mbps speed as average. when I directly connect my laptop through the moderm I am getting spectrum/charter 400/20 Mbps speeds. 

Hello Ibtn,  thanks for your note

I have been using netgear since college 15 yrs ago, I do like the genie apps and Nighthawk app. Due to my Nighthawk X8 AC5300 Gig Speed problems from the new Firmware upgrade, I am concerned. I am very open to buy other wireless router brand as soon as possible to replace this nighthawk X8. 

Thanks,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E