Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X8 / Netgear Genie download

RajunCajun9
Aspirant

Nighthawk X8 / Netgear Genie download

I have a new Desktop with Windows 11 and i cannot get Netgear Genie for Windows to download at all!  Is there another way to download it on my desktop? What am I missing, all this setup and software i am downloading and Netgear Genie is my only problem. Help, please.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X8 / Netgear Genie download

Why not just access it using its IP address?

Message 2 of 7

@RajunCajun9 wrote:

I have a new Desktop with Windows 11 and i cannot get Netgear Genie for Windows to download at all!  Is there another way to download it on my desktop?

Netgear seems to be going out of its way to kill off this neat little tool. It even does things that you can't do with the browser graphical user interface (GUI).

The last time I looked it was here:

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

For some reason it is packaged in a RAR file and labelled as an "app".

I told you they are making it hard to get at.

Message 3 of 7

@plemans wrote:

Why not just access it using its IP address?

You should check out the program. It does things that you can't do in the GUI. I use it all the time.

Message 4 of 7
RajunCajun9
Aspirant

FIGURED IT OUT!  GOT IT TO DOWNLOAD! 

t downloads a file, but the file does nothing.   You need to download WINZIP or 7-ZIP to open (unzip) the file, THEN you can open and Netgear Genie downloads.   Seems Windows 11 presents some problems with some softwares, this is one of them.  Thanks everyone for answers.  Hope this helps those of you who are trying to install on computer.

Message 5 of 7

@RajunCajun9 wrote:

FIGURED IT OUT!  GOT IT TO DOWNLOAD! 

Did you use the link I provided? That should not need any "figuring out".

If you follow that link to the Netgear page you can download the desktop genie for your operating system.

As I said, it downloads a RAR file. Then you need to extract the installation file from the download.

In my case, I have a "file explorer" (DOpus) that handles all manner of compressed files. Most experienced PC users should have something that can extract from RAR  files

Seems Windows 11 presents some problems with some softwares, this is one of them. 

I have no idea what that means. Windows 11 has no "problems" with this software. You just have to unpack the RAR file. This has always been the case with Windows, which stops at zip files.

Heaven only knows why Netgear doesn't just zip the file. But, as I said, it seems to want the desktop genie to die.

This might be useful:

How to open RAR files in Windows 11/10

Message 6 of 7
RajunCajun9
Aspirant

I had already downloaded file, that was not the problem. It was the fact that I had to use third party software to unzip it—winzip or 7-zip. Found answer on YouTube. But what you have is basically what I did. Thanks.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7