Nighthawk X8 R8500 - dead 5ghz band, what to do?

Rwil85
Aspirant

Nighthawk X8 R8500 - dead 5ghz band, what to do?

Title kind of says it all, seriously bummed..

Router was $400 at the time of purchase. Got it from Best Buy ~14 months ago.

Been having intermittent/wonky issues with most of my personal and smart home devices for the past few days. Tried to wait it out as I hadn’t changed anything on my end and figured it could be Verizon’s network or a storm, etc. (I have Verizon Fios Gigabit Internet). It hadn’t improved - so, I called Verizon and diagnostics show that the ONT is pushing signal through from them to my router which baffled me. It is showing that “INTERNET” is ‘Good’ and all three bands appear to be ‘live’ on the router itself and in the settings page. Totally perplexed at this point. Tried power off/on, reboot, firmwares, changing channels, etc.

I then realized after switching my iPhone to the 5 Ghz Band 2 and having it work flawlessly that I could possibly have a malfunctioning router - which I didn’t want to believe given it’s a premium Netgear router (my first Netgear by the way - had used Apple Extremes previously that were flawless).

Upon running a quick google search, I have come across MANY threads referencing a dead 5 GHz Band 1 on this router where the 2.4/5Ghz Band 2 both still function - I am in exactly the same boat. Only thing being that some of those users were still well within their warranty period - some even within their return window. Race to the Netgear website, lo and behold, 1 Year Limited Warranty. It is 14 months old.

Am I really to live with a $400+tax paperweight? What’s my next move?

Not an expert in this area by any means - so, if someone could shed some insight - or perhaps Netgear Support, which would be even better - I would greatly appreciate it.

[Tried for a few minutes to send a support ticket through and couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to do so - so, here I am. Sorry if this is misplaced.]
Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Re: Nighthawk X8 R8500 - dead 5ghz band, what to do?

@Rwil85 wrote:

Tried power off/on, reboot, firmwares, changing channels, etc.

What is the firmware version on your router?

Did your various options include a "factory reset"?

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 4
Rwil85
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

Firmware is V1.0.2.122

I have not attempted a factory reset.

(If I have given devices static IPs, etc - will I need to re-assign them all again after a factory reset?)

Message 3 of 4

@Rwil85 wrote:

(If I have given devices static IPs, etc - will I need to re-assign them all again after a factory reset?)

Yes. That's why it is a pain.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements