Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X8 R8500 ethernet port not recognized after firmware update

leugaanam
Aspirant

Nighthawk X8 R8500 ethernet port not recognized after firmware update

My Netgear Genie says that there is no ethernet cable hooked up to the main ethernet port. It suggested trying different cables or reconfiguring the port. I have tried several different cables; all with the same message of no ethernet cable. I have never configured a port before. Should I attempt this or are there other options?

This is the detailed situation that happened. I followed the instructions from Netgear for the new firmware update. While updating, the router kicked out my Netgear CM500 cable modem and I received a message of no internet connection. I tried rebooting both the router and modem several times and each time the router would do something to the modem and it stopped receiving the internet. When I turned the router off, the modem booted up and operated correctly with a strong internet connection. I did a factory reset on both the router and the modem. Now the modem functions correctly with the router hooked up. My computers and other equipment see the router with a strong signal but there is no internet connection. This brings us back to the Genie saying there is no ethernet cable hooked up.

Any advice would be very much appriciated.

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
leugaanam
Aspirant

james2720502    Thank you for responding but moreover, thank you for actually reading what I wrote. I ended up paying an IT site to help me. And wouldn't you know it, they had the problem solved within 10 minutes. Oddly enough, they asked the same questions you have and it lead to a solution. Again, thank you for asking valid, pertinent questions; instead of giving me attitude like "netwrks" did.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 23

All Replies
netwrks
Master

Hopefully, you let the router finish the firmware upgrade.. Follow the Reset to Factory Default instructions on the top of Page 182 of the router manual

Message 2 of 23
leugaanam
Aspirant

Thank you for replying to my message. I didn't stop the process.  I waited for quite a while hoping the normal process was taking place. It didn't. Something went wrong. As far as following the instructions for the reset from the manual, well...reading page 182 was how I found out how to factory reset the router. I apologize if i was vague in my original post but just to clarify, the factory reset has not solved the problem. I am still currently left with the cable in the ethernet port not being recognized. So, the problem I need to resolve is getting the router to recognize that there is a cable connected to the ethernet port. How do I acheive that?

Message 3 of 23
William10a
Master

Have you rebooted the network inclining the computers?

Message 4 of 23
leugaanam
Aspirant

Thank you for replying. Yes. The router, modem and computers have been rebooted multiple times. I rebooted them old school style; I'm not sure if it matters anymore about which one comes on first but modem 1st, router 2nd and computers last.

Message 5 of 23
james2720502
Aspirant

Is it your WAN port that is not working or your LAN posts?  Do you think you have a strong ethernet connection to your devices because they are connecting through the switch portion of your router?  Can they see eachother?  If you can get through to your router from your computer, you might consider this solution.

First make sure your computer is connecting with your router.  Which it sounds like it is due to your seeing the genie.

Use this link:  https://kb.netgear.com/27477/How-to-resolve-amber-LEDs-or-a-blinking-power-LED-on-NETGEAR-routers

Then if the computer is speaking with the router, this article may assist you:

https://kb.netgear.com/19841/Reinstall-the-firmware-on-a-router-without-the-setup-CD-recovery-tool

Message 6 of 23
leugaanam
Aspirant

james2720502    Thank you for responding but moreover, thank you for actually reading what I wrote. I ended up paying an IT site to help me. And wouldn't you know it, they had the problem solved within 10 minutes. Oddly enough, they asked the same questions you have and it lead to a solution. Again, thank you for asking valid, pertinent questions; instead of giving me attitude like "netwrks" did.

Message 7 of 23
james2720502
Aspirant

Would you mind sharing the solution for your situation?  I cannot get through to my router at all.  The power light is amber.  And, when I attempted to ping the router, I received no response.  It could be as simple as the Ethernet port on the router not working.  Did the IT people you spoke with offer a solution that I might try?  I am willing to try about anything.  Also, who were the IT folks you contacted?

Thanks,

Message 8 of 23
leugaanam
Aspirant

According to the strict rules of this site, any kind of advertising is absolutely prohibited. But...getting kicked out of this community is the least of my worries. So, I renewed my tech coverage with Geeksquad. The problem was, fortunately, user error. I'll own up to it; I had the ethernet cord plugged into one of the aggregate ports instead of the WAN. So, while I was up on a stepladder actually looking at the back of the router, I was advised to go ahead and check to see if the ports were active by plugging one end of the ethernet cord into the WAN and the other into each individual port. This was a handy bit of information. I could see the lights come on for the WAN and all but two of the LANs. You wrote that your Power light is solid amber and that means the router is in a basic start-up procedure to recognize that it's a router and then act accordingly; right? If the router is not completing its start-up, is it possible for the ports to still show activity? You also mentioned that you pinged the router with no response. Could that indicate a particular place in the start-up process that the router isn't reaching; i.e. say, three-quarters of the way in booting-up, should the X8 be able to receive the ping and then respond with a confirmation? I wish I had some concrete answers for you. Alas, I only have questions that I would throw at my, paid for, tech guys.

Message 9 of 23
james2720502
Aspirant

Thank you for your response.  It is interresting to me that no one from Netgear seems to be monitoring these forums.  I answered my own question by taking it to the point where the ping wasn't recognized, and someone (I guess from Netgear) marked the answer as complete.  Talk about not reading their own forums.  

From what I have been able to find on some of the open source router software forums, there are probably answers to the questions you asked and to my problem.  But those answers do not seem to be available here.  The question is, are the answers available from their experts which is what I thought this forum was about, or is my router FUBAR?  Thanks again.

Message 10 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi james2720502,

If power light is amber which means that the firmware is corrupted. You can try TFTP but if it will not work, I would suggest contacting support for replacement.

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP

Message 11 of 23
leugaanam
Aspirant

Hey james2720502,

Did you see the post from JamesGL (Netgear Moderator)? I went to the link he provided and took a look at the instructions. It's very tedious but definitely worth a try. Question, did this happen to your x8 during the firmware upgrade? I've been reading about how important this update is due to serious security risks but I just can't bring myself to risk ending up with a classy $400 door stop. 

Message 12 of 23
james2720502
Aspirant

Yes, this did happen during the firmware upgrade.  To the best of my ability, I followed the instructions verbatum.  And, what can you say, but it is technology.  Thanks for the reference to the tech support posting.  It may be tedious, and I will follow it to the best of my ability.  I too hate to loose a $400 dollar router.  

I am NO expert, and from what I can put together, it is probably really stupid not to do the updates no matter what the risk.  While I do my best to stay secure, I did not buy this router becuase I hardly use the internet.  Identity thieft is a much bigger concern to me than ransom ware, and I really do not want to have to reimage everything.

Thanks again for the update on the post. 

Message 13 of 23
leugaanam
Aspirant

Excellent point. Security, of course, should be one of the utmost priorities when dealing with technology. Fair enough. Perhaps you'll be kind enough to let me know the result of your revival attempt. 

Message 14 of 23
james2720502
Aspirant

Thank you JamesGL for your suggestion.  Unfortinuately, I was not able to install the firmware.  

I did make the assumption that I was to "read" white power light where it said green power light.  However after holding reset for the perscribed sequence and amount of time, and after holding reset for a considerable amount of time, I was not presented with a steady flashing white light.  I did wait until after a count of 10 for the intermittent flashing white light, and tried the install.  I also repeated that process.  After reading some of the information in the opensource websites, I also attempted other combinations with the intent of finding a sequence which might work.  None of them resulted in an install.  The power light constantly defaulted to solid amber, and when attempting the install, I constantly received the message "unable to get response from server" from the TFTP software.  

Although I hold out little hope, I will follow your suggestion and contact customer support tomorrow.  Again, thank you. 

Message 15 of 23
james2720502
Aspirant

Leugaanam,

You can find the results to my attempts by reading my response to JamesGL.  I am usually pretty good at following directions, and for some reason, some how, there are times technology just seems to be technology.

Appreciate your followup.

Message 16 of 23
William10a
Master

That leaves you with two choices try Netgear tech support or use a serial cable to try to reflash the firmware which need you to access the inside of the router and may not work but may .

People have saved a router by the serial cable before there are videos on youtube on how it is done there should be one for the Netgear R8500 as well.

Message 17 of 23
leugaanam
Aspirant

james2720502,

My sincere condolences on your plight. And yes, I do consider your situation plight. Where ever you have your nonfunctioning x8 there is now a wifi desert. And like you said, you did not buy that expensive of a router because you hardly use the internet. Looks like there might be one more thing to try. Did you see the post from William10a discussing "a serial cable"? 

Message 18 of 23
james2720502
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

My router is about 6 months out of warrenty, and I could not find a way to communicate with Netgear support without a warrenty.   Within reason, I am willing to pay to have them fix it. 

I too had read about serial connections and routers.  I could not find anything on youtube describing the connector or the process.  From what I did find and read, it looks like you have to be up on electronics to find the serial connection on the router mobo.  I am not any type of wiz at anything.  I can read, and I can follow directions, but from what I saw the serial connection may be only pins on the board.  Finding the serial connection seems to be beyond me.  I would definitely need a lot more pictures of the r8500's insides before I started into it.  If you have anything like that, I might take a swing at it.

I did find these links, and this is NOT my cup of tea.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R8500-bricked/td-p/1183741/page/2

I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount to have the router repaired.  If someone is familiar with the process.  If you know someone or know where I should look (I have already looked around some) please let me know.

Thanks,

Message 19 of 23
james2720502
Aspirant

Thank you for your post,

Yes, I did see William10a's reply.  As you can tell from my reply to him, it does not look good for me.  

Do you know of anyone that repairs routers?

Thanks

Message 20 of 23
leugaanam
Aspirant

james2720502,

Your situation does look dire. I have not had a router repaired before. However, this is my second x8. I had to return the first one to Best Buy after it became stuck in an odd cycle of constantly rebooting. I have had other IT equipment repaired in the past but as I'm sure you're aware, it's a crap shoot. You can get someone who can fix the problem, someone who can't fix the problem, or someone who makes the situation worse. Plus, the price for them just to look at it can be outrageous; not to mention the time frame as to when you might receive your equipment back. Honestly, I would do two internet searches. The first would be "best IT equipment repair companies of 2017"; that might be a way to go if you're willing to send your x8 through the mail. The second would be on yelp.com for local IT repair businesses for the option of speaking to someone face to face. My major IT purchases usually happen at Best Buy with the additional Geek Squad repair/replace warranty. Hmm...I'm not sure if the Geek Squad will repair equipment not purchased at Best Buy but it's a thought.

PS 

I did finally get my x8 to accept the new firmware update. Everything's good EXCEPT it's locked out my Netgear Arlo security cameras. Nothing is ever 100% is it? Ugh...

Message 21 of 23
james2720502
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply and your suggestions.  Actually,  I did try Best Buy.  They do not repair routers.  I got the impression that even if you purchase the warrenty from the get go, they do not repair routers.  They send them back.  The Geek Squad guy said that it would probably cost more to have most routers repaired than it would to replace them.  He did indicate that the cost of some of the new routers was pushing that idea, but obviously, not enough.  

In fact, I have attempted to find a router repair place everywhere and anywhere, and I have been unsuccessful.  I was more than willing to send it off.  It sure isn't doing me any good setting here.

I think you did the smart thing.  Purchase the pertection plan in advance from Best Buy, and let the Geeks deal with the issues.  OR as I have suggested to my many not so venturesome friends, lease the router from your ISP, and let them deal with all of the issues.  While I have learned a lot over the years dealing with all of the various networking and technology issues, I am beginning to think my time may be worth more than the knowledge gained in the constantly changing landscape inwhich I am learning.    

Glad that you were able to get your r8500 fixed.  Thanks again,

Jim

Message 22 of 23
leugaanam
Aspirant

Jim,

So...it's happened. You are now the proud owner of an elegant, classy $400 doorstop. One of my worst nightmares in the technical realm. I do offer my sincere condolences but that doesn't do anything to help you out of your wifi desert. The Best Buy guy did have a point. Most of the routers that I have purchased in the past have been close to or less than $100 and they lasted for years. When they began to falter, it was an obvious choice to replace them because of age and outdated technology. This whole ordeal has confirmed for me that buying these major purchases with extended warranties, preferably with a replacement clause, is the best way to go for me.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7